Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE query

Options
  • 06-03-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

All

I have an occasional knocking which I think is a shot body mount. As the jeep is due for a DOE I was wondering if this was something that would cause it to fail?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

how do you mean a body mount?when you rock the jeep over and back can you hear the knocking noise then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Unlikely to be a body mount if it's a knocking noise, probably a suspension or shock bush which would be a fail. If you give a make/model, someone may come back with "it's always a front radius arm bush goes on them" or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

It'a Nissan Navara D40. The noise emenates from under the rear of the cabin and is only noticable when going over a ramp or on very bumpy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

try the wishbone balljoints as they go on them.then i would look at the front anti roll bar bushings and link arms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

If its the rear it could be rear leaf spring bushes, shock bushes. Whatever it is if you are hearing it it wont pass the cvrt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

If its the rear it could be rear leaf spring bushes, shock bushes. Whatever it is if you are hearing it it wont pass the cvrt.

Probably the shock mounting bushes, easy enough fix though.

Probably the shock mounting bushes, easy enough fix though.

Can oem bushes be bought handy for them?

Can oem bushes be bought handy for them?

Dunno tbh, but any similar sized bush-set ought to do the job-just might need a bit more "squeezing" :D

Dunno tbh, but any similar sized bush-set ought to do the job-just might need a bit more "squeezing" :D

Thats true, once there is no play it wont fail, the insulation tape is a nice cheap fix for worn atni roll bar d bushes.

Thats true, once there is no play it wont fail, the insulation tape is a nice cheap fix for worn atni roll bar d bushes.

I've often had to pump in a load of windscreen adhesive and let it go hard...works a treat, works great too for fubarred engine mounts. Actually is usually better than the original - on racers we push in steel sections to fill the mount and then pump it full of screen-adhesive, once set, you have a brilliantly firm engine mount. :D

• Advertisement

I must get me some of that stuff, it will signifintaley bring down the maintenance bills.

I must get me some of that stuff, it will signifintaley bring down the maintenance bills.

The Wurth stuff is brilliant - it sets into solid rubber and will really last - I've often used it around metal bushings that have stripped off the rubber - I just cut away all the old rubber, set the steel bush where it's needed and surround it fully with mastic - let it set and you're good to go.

I had a jeep one time with a rattly dash just around the ash tray, just started a week before the test, i jammed a note in there and it cured the rattle for the test. It passed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That's an interesting fix I've not heard before!

http://www.milneroffroad.com/ are probably cheapest for Jap truck parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Slideways

As a tester in a previous life. I have seen insulating tape, mastic, rubber mud flaps chopped up, timing belts chopped up and nails shoved in to cure ARB rattles. None of them would pass.

Lads, ARB rubbers are not expensive. If you have a pain in your hole buying/replacing them source poly bushes if they are available. I know the L200 were a bollix of a thing for front ARB and unless they were hanging off I used to ignore them. Same with some of the Fiats where you had to buy the entire bar.

I believe that things have got a hell of a lot stricter since then however. Glad to be out of it, a thankless task if ever there was one...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

101sean wrote: »
    That's an interesting fix I've not heard before!

http://www.milneroffroad.com/ are probably cheapest for Jap truck parts.

In my opinion stay away from that cheap ****e they are never the correct size , just buy genuine and your finished ,and they fit !

Slideways wrote: »
    As a tester in a previous life. I have seen insulating tape, mastic, rubber mud flaps chopped up, timing belts chopped up and nails shoved in to cure ARB rattles. None of them would pass.

Lads, ARB rubbers are not expensive. If you have a pain in your hole buying/replacing them source poly bushes if they are available. I know the L200 were a bollix of a thing for front ARB and unless they were hanging off I used to ignore them. Same with some of the Fiats where you had to buy the entire bar.

I believe that things have got a hell of a lot stricter since then however. Glad to be out of it, a thankless task if ever there was one...

Ive put tape on arb in a situation if i could not get bushes in time or the bar was wore. Pointless putting new bushes on a worn bar.
    Buying a new arb would be excessive to be fair about it. Interesting how you failed yokes that had no play but passed others as long as they were not hanging.

Advertisement