Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes Equality Campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Morag wrote: »
    If anyone is intrested in helpping canvassing for a Yes vote

More info will go up on the facebook page which you can find here
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin-West-YesEquality/326541034204698?fref=ts

... Link not working!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Link fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I'm just voting yes. I don't need to read anything or think about anything.

I think it's an absolute no-brainer. One thing I have noticed is that old fogies who would be extremely religious, would be generally voting no on this and who didn't like the idea that a local TD came out recently.

everyone to their own by the way but we need to get with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I think it's an absolute no-brainer. One thing I have noticed is that old fogies who would be extremely religious, would be generally voting no on this and who didn't like the idea that a local TD came out recently.

Any sound bit I have heard the main No voice tended to be from older people.

But on thing I have notice that there has been little information (unless I have missed something) on the new Irish, those of strong catholic or Muslim beliefs that can vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

oblivious wrote: »
    Any sound bit I have heard the main No voice tended to be from older people.

But on thing I have notice that there has been little information (unless I have missed something) on the new Irish, those of strong catholic or Muslim beliefs that can vote.

Unless those new Irish residents have become citizens they cannot vote in constitutional referendums. Typically, registration to vote among those demographics is low anyway.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Unless those new Irish residents have become citizens they cannot vote in constitutional referendums. Typically, registration to vote among those demographics is low anyway.

I did say those than can vote, but if registration is low in these groups it may have no really impact

Yes its true, I think included in the election commissions should be a remit to encourage voter registration among new Irish who are eligible and multi-lingual information made available online to boost participation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think it's an absolute no-brainer.

True, first real no-brainer referendum for a while.

There's mountain of reasons for voting yes but really only 2 reasons for voting no:
    1. You're a homophobe because your religion of choice tells you to be
    2. You're a homophobe because you're a bit of a dick.

It should be a clear-cut decision, but you never know with the people of this country!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wonder if there will be any No canvassing. I'd like to go and give them a piece of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The problem with it being a 'no brainer' is people may not bother to vote thinking it will pass.

• Advertisement

The problem with it being a 'no brainer' is people may not bother to vote thinking it will pass.

or check to see if they are registered to vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Gaspode wrote: »

There's mountain of reasons for voting yes but really only 2 reasons for voting no:

It should be a clear-cut decision, but you never know with the people of this country!:D

Hi,

I find this affirmation a little bit insulting...very insulting !
    If that is your personal & responsible belief, I feel very sorry for you !

All these things nothing to do with me, no love AND no hate but I think is getting too much attention.
    By nature, you will need a plus and a minus to produce electricity.

Regards

This is the danger, Ive worked on the admin side of elections for years and the profile of voter is much older and I suggest more conservative than the real demographic

Its all fine polling 75/25 on boards or Journal.ie but getting the Yes vote out will be crucial. Personally Id say theyll be very happy with 55/45 on a turnout of <50%

I just want to see Ronan Mullen's reaction to it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

All these things nothing to do with me, no love AND no hate but I think is getting too much attention.

Regards

I don't get your post at all. It's everything to do with you, it's everything to do with everybody. God forbid you have a child who is gay coming to you in the future and ask you how you voted in the SSM referendum. What will you be able to tell them?

It's getting so much attention because it's VERY important.

The electricity part, wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

For all LGBTI people and the generations to come it's important.

http://www.checktheregister.ie/

If you are not in the register, you have until May 5th.

Hi,

Regards

What? :confused:

Can you elaborate a bit here, your post makes little sense.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To be fair, I don't believe that everyone voting no is homophobic. I think there are some who genuinely hold the misguided opinion that a yes vote will somehow end up causing harm to kids because certain elements of the No Campaign have successfully muddied the waters. It's pretty sad that they have to resort to such tactics because they can't come up with any reasoned arguments to cover up their own homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

January wrote: »
    It's getting so much attention because it's VERY important.

Is it? I believe Eamon Gilmore (roughly) said it was "the most important civil rights issue of our time" but I'm not so sure myself. The turnout will be interesting barometer of how important people think it actually is.

Zaph wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't believe that everyone voting no is homophobic. I think there are some who genuinely hold the misguided opinion that a yes vote will somehow end up causing harm to kids because certain elements of the No Campaign have successfully muddied the waters. It's pretty sad that they have to resort to such tactics because they can't come up with any reasoned arguments to cover up their own homophobia.

From what I've seen the No Campaign seems pretty much orchestrated purely by the catholic church. I don't hear many other voices coming out against the equality vote who don't have some religious connections.
    So while my post above is perhaps a bit simplistic (maybe even harsh?) I think it still holds true.

I don't think it's the most important civil rights issue of our time, but it's an important one in bringing us another little step closer to a fair society.
    Make sure you get out & vote in May people!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohemian Football Club weigh in on the situation encouraging everyone to get registered. Bohs would have a big enough following in Dublin 15. Proud of them for this cool poster.

11053369_10155391461020702_2419364756303064384_n.jpg?oh=11d3d1ede2a543d9637cdfb949c298f9&oe=55DB046A&__gda__=1437087893_b3dccd584575c3d95e94adc2ade11b05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't particularly care about this referendum, but that labelling everyone who doesn't agree as homophobes shows a certain lack of respect for other people. I'd expect many people will vote no because they resist change, I doubt that makes them homophobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Polar101 wrote: »
    I don't particularly care about this referendum, but that labelling everyone who doesn't agree as homophobes shows a certain lack of respect for other people. I'd expect many people will vote no because they resist change, I doubt that makes them homophobes.

One could argue voting to deny a couple the right to marry is also disrespectful. I don't know if voting no makes you a homophobe, depends on the person but it does make you a prick.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maybe we could keep the name-calling to a minimum, yeah? It's an emotive topic, but it doesn't really do either side's argument any favours if their supporters start abusing those on the other side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone around today?

Roderic O'Gorman is canvassing around Ashtown today - meet Halfway House at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Polar101 wrote: »

Some of the anti side are clearly homophobic - perhaps not all, but some of them are. It's just the reality. Their homophobia could be borne out of ignorance and not knowing any gay people, but I think it's ok to say that they are homophobic. The idea of two men holding hands or kissing is opposed by some of the No side, never mind marriage. What is that...homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

fletch wrote: »

I can't wait for the nice cakes afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

fletch wrote: »

Will be out running on Sunday morning anyway but will defer it by a couple of hours & do this 5k instead, more than happy to support... as I'm doing my best to exercise & eat healthily these days I'll not indulge in having some of the delicious treats after though:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

But not to buy (adopt) a battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Joan Burton was at clonsilla station this morning.

Hosting a public forum on 23 April in The Carpenter. Speakers Katherine Zappone and John Lyonshall.

Advertisement