Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrailing Advice

Options
  • 08-01-2014 3:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

Hi all,

I'm planning on going interrailing this summer with three friends. We want to get planning it but soon so I was wondering if any of you would have advice on must see cities, accommodation and any advice you would give us about it. We'd be more interested in eastern and south- eastern europe as we have visited many other common places like spain, portugal, germany, france, poland.

Thanks in advance!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maccerrs

Hi Lisa,

I went interrailing two years ago and it was the best trip of my life. I started a thread then so you might get some info from that- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056504939

I posted this there but I'll paste it here as well:
    "I know this is really late but i thought I share some of my experiences of the trip, which was the best of my life.

We went for 28days in total.

The route we took was as follows:
    -June 6th left Dublin for Berlin
    -7th Berlin
    -8th Berlin
    -9th Left Berlin to Poznan
    -10th Poznan
    -11th Poznan
    -12th Left Poznan and traveled to Gdansk/Sopot
    -13th Gdansk/Sopot
    -14th Gdansk/Sopot (took a night train to Krakow)
    -15th Krakow
    -16th Krakow
    -17th Krakow
    -18th Krakow
    -19th Krakow (night train to Budapest)
    -20th Budapest
    -21st Budapest
    -22nd Budapest
    -23rd Budapest
    -24th Pag Island, Croatia
    -25th Pag Island, Croatia
    -26th Pag Island, Croatia
    -27th Pag Island, Croatia
    -28th Ljubljana
    -29th Lake bled
    -30th Lake Bled
    -July 1st Lake Bled (night train/bus to Prague)
    -July 2nd Prague
    -July 3rd Prague
    -July 4th Prague (fly home to Dublin)

Just some details about our trip:

We went to 9 places in 28days and it didn't feel like we were travelling all the time.

We went to two matches at Euro2012 (IrelandvCroatia, IrelandvSpain).

Krakow was my favourite city, really cheap, loads to do during the day and insane nightlife.

I spent a total of €2500, that includes everything. Flights, trains, buses, accommodation (mostly in top 5 rated hostels in city on hostelworld , food (we mostly ate out), drink (we drank heavily almost every night) and activities.

We did a lot of activities from walking tours, an Auschwitz tour to white water rafting and canyoning to a booze cruise and gun shooting.

If anyone has any questions and wants some advice I'd be glad to try and help you out."

The Euro2012 really added extra expenses for us so you won't need as much depending where you go and how long.

Must see cities for me were Berlin, Krakow, Budapest and Lake Bled.

It really depends what you're looking for: party hard, see sights, different cultures, beaches etc...
    For us we wanted to experience some different cultures and also party hard.

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll try help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockthecazba

I went in summer 2010 with two friends and was honestly one of the best trips i've been on.
    We were very much on a trail as kept meeting the same people along the way which was great too. Went for a month in total but our route was-

Amsterdam
    Berlin
    Prague
    Krakow
    Budapest
    Salzberg
    Munich
    Ljubijanna
    Lake Bled
    Split,
    Hvar
    Dubrovnik.

Personally my favourite place was Lake Bled in Slovenia, very beautiful and tranquil but great bars too. Was a lot of Irish there when we were. Eastern Europe is much cheaper too, and would say Krakow is a must see. Croatia was more of our relaxing sun holiday part so was a good way to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭josip

Once you head south east of Budapest things start to get more adventurous and more off the beaten track. 90% of people will probably have been to Hungary or Croatia but probably less than 10% to Romania, Serbia, Macedonia or Bulgaria and the tourist infrastructure will reflect that. Greece is probably best done by island hopping. Istanbul is worth doing via a sleeper in each direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WanderingElk

Hey, not sure if you're still looking for info but pm me if you are. I'd be happy to help, spent 30 days in the areas you're talking about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 lisa1

Thanks a million for your replies guys, Have not been active in ages!
    We plan on giong to lake bled/ ljubljana for two nights, do we stay in ljubljana and get busses out or are there places to stay at the lake?

• Advertisement
Advertisement