Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fast, reliable, economical. Does it exist?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

djimi wrote: »
    I honestly never thought Id see Type R DC2 mentioned in a thread about economical cars :pac:

They are not economical in the slightest; not by any modern definition of the term anyway. I drive mine reasonably sedately (rarely go much above 4500rpm and use the VTEC sparingly) and Id say I get about 30mpg at most. I know its not exactly the best way to define it, but I pretty religiously get about 130km for €20 petrol.

They are quick cars; certainly faster than most on the road. However, you most certainly do not drive them for the fuel mileage they return! :D

On the contrary, I chose mine over an Impreza and an Evo because it was to be my daily driver on a 100 km commute and fuel economy was an issue. It was also cheaper to tax and significantly cheaper to insure (it was a UK model which helped there). Compared to an Impreza and an Evo, it was also cheaper to maintain, an oil change every 5,000 km and it was happy. I know it would be left behind in a straight line by the others but it would be a lot closer on a track/suitable road :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ABC101 wrote: »
    Apparently it did even better, 73.6 mpg, it was driven from Tangier in Morocco to the UK on a single tank of fuel,

"The real story here is that we shifted almost 2000kg of car almost 2000km at an average speed of 46mph on just 75 litres of fuel. As adverts for the electrically assisted internal combustion engine go, you are unlikely to find a better one."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/goodwood-festival-speed/mercedes-e-class-e300-hybrid-africa-goodwood-picture-special

Yes but that needs a bit of perspective - he would have been aiming to do it on one tank - and would have been looking to drive accordingly.

Id be more wondering how it copes with someone just driving it normally - and not really thinking about economy.

Don't get me wrong - its a very interesting car in terms of the technology on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Old diesel wrote: »
    Yes but that needs a bit of perspective - he would have been aiming to do it on one tank - and would have been looking to drive accordingly.

Id be more wondering how it copes with someone just driving it normally - and not really thinking about economy.

Don't get me wrong - its a very interesting car in terms of the technology on it

Yes he did state in the article keeping the revs as low as possible in the highest gear etc. I think he aimed for 51 miles / hour. Easy to do on motorways whilst not annoying too many other drivers as they can overtake you easily enough.

For normal driving ie 120 kph etc, I'm not sure but she must be getting close to 60 mpg.

Always a word of caution about claimed mpg ...but with regen braking and a electric motor it is possible.

I think BMW made a new car, with a 220 bhp 3 cylinder turbo petrol with electric motor + battery and it can do high mpg as well, Wikipedia has a page on called i8 concept.

The times sure are a changing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Audi S3 1.8t can do all 3 IMO.

Get a good one for under 5k easy

S3's aren't economical I average 25/26. If I drive it like I'm afraid of boost I can get 28/29 but why would buy an s3 to drive easy.

Also buy a bad one and you will spend the initial purchase prIce over again putting it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Golf GTI is obvious choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

YbFocus wrote: »
    Yep but there isn't one example that fits them all :)
    Maybe an lpg'd s15 or such :)

Lpg'd 300ZX ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shouldn't that Subaru BRZ and Toyota yoke fit? Maybe it is not fast from a get go, but it is a fun and sporty car. It's cheap too, but unfortunately not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'd consider fast being closer to 6 seconds to 60 (rough benchmark of overall performance I know). Some of the cars mentioned here are more warm in terms of performance.
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    We need to better define what "fast" is and what "economical" is. There's plenty of people in this country that think a TDI golf is fast and economical and reliable. Budget is also another factor…

Personally I would consider 7 seconds and less to 60 fast and 40MPG if driven carefully economical.

I think ye are confusing Fast and Quick

Quick is how "quickly" you get to 100

Fast is how much faster than 100 it can go :D

As for the vRS??

I havent driven the mk3 yet but as for the mk2.
    Well.
    If you could stop the wheelspin it would probably be quick enough to 100.

MPG is good

Fast??
    Not saying on here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

You're right but I can't think of a word that is less than fast but still means fast :p

While we're on the topic though I think a quick car is a lot more fun in Ireland than a fast car. There are a lot more opportunities to exploit a cars "quickness" on our roads than a cars "fastness". Like what Wibbs was saying about his DC2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    While we're on the topic though I think a quick car is a lot more fun in Ireland than a fast car. There are a lot more opportunities to exploit a cars "quickness" on our roads than a cars "fastness". Like what Wibbs was saying about his DC2/

Exactly. My DC2 is Jap limited to 112mph and honestly it makes no difference to me as I am pretty much never likely to want to drive at that speed, let alone faster than it. As far as Im concerned, once a car can get to 120mph in relatively quick time then its a fast car; anything above that, in this country at least is, is just bascially theoretical stats based top trumps!

FWIW (even though I agree they are different and understand the distinction), I think most peoples idea of a "fast" car is determined by 0-60, not the top end speed that it can achieve.

Advertisement