Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car flashing lights and pointing

Options
  • 25-08-2014 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a strange one and just wondering what people make of it.

Basically, driving home to Dublin from Wexford (camping trip) on Sunday morning, and about 20 mins from Wexford town an oncoming car flashed its lights at me, while about 300 yards away from me.

As they got closer they slowed down and flashed their lights another 3 or 4 times and both the driver and passenger started pointing quite frantically straight ahead of them, or perhaps to something behind me.

They slowed almost to a stop and continued along in the hard shoulder as if expecting me to do a U-turn and go back to them.

There was a car about 6 car lengths behind me so I couldn't really just stop and pull over even if I wanted to.
    I waited a few mins and found a safe place to stop and got out and checked my car etc, all was fine.
    I had my side-lights on but certainly nothing unusual.

I had been doing about 65-70km at the time in an 80 zone. As we drove on there were no check-points or anything that they could have been warning me of, and anyway that wouldn't explain all the pointing etc....

I'm an inexperienced driver so is it customary to stop and go back in a situation like this?

It occurred to me that perhaps it could have been an off-duty Guard but I don't think I had done anything wrong, and both the driver and passenger were dressed in what appeared to be GAA jersies so I'm guessing they were on their way to a game or something (bit early at 11am admittedly)

Any thoughts or educated guesses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

attempted car-jacking?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe just winding you up in order to waste your time by pulling over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

You were driving down the wrong side of the M11.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,424 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Basically, driving home to Dublin from Wexford (camping trip) on Sunday morning, and about 20 mins from Wexford town an oncoming car flashed its lights at me, while about 300 yards away from me.

As they got closer they slowed down and flashed their lights another 3 or 4 times and both the driver and passenger started pointing quite frantically straight ahead of them, or perhaps to something behind me.

They slowed almost to a stop and continued along in the hard shoulder as if expecting me to do a U-turn and go back to them.

There was a car about 6 car lengths behind me so I couldn't really just stop and pull over even if I wanted to.
    I waited a few mins and found a safe place to stop and got out and checked my car etc, all was fine.

I had been doing about 65-70km at the time in an 80 zone. As we drove on there were no check-points or anything that they could have been warning me of, and anyway that wouldn't explain all the pointing etc....

I'm an inexperienced driver so is it customary to stop and go back in a situation like this?

It occurred to me that perhaps it could have been an off-duty Guard but I don't think I had done anything wrong, and both the driver and passenger were dressed in what appeared to be GAA jersies so I'm guessing they were on their way to a game or something (bit early at 11am admittedly)

Were you pulling a trailer/caravan or had a roof box/rack on?
    Perhaps something looked like it was all over the place (going to break lose)?

That or a gang of lads having a "laugh" (not very funny mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I reckon they thought you were going where they were going and tried to redirect you. Mistaken identity or as you said, a match or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

is it customary to stop and go back in a situation like this?

No. I might, like yourself, pull over where safe and check that nothing obvious is wrong, but I certainly wouldn't go looking for the pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

kippy wrote: »
    Were you pulling a trailer/caravan or had a roof box/rack on?
    Perhaps something looked like it was all over the place (going to break lose)?

That or a gang of lads having a "laugh" (not very funny mind)

No, its just a car/van 2 seater with a huge boot packed to the gills with all our stuff for the camping, but no trailer or anything, no roof-rack.

The driver and passenger in the other car seemed to be a male & female, I think they were middle-aged. Happened quite quickly so can't be totally certain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I reckon they thought you were going where they were going and tried to redirect you. Mistaken identity or as you said, a match or something

Actually that's a good shout. Yeah maybe they thought they knew me and wanted me to pull over to say I was going the wrong way to the game or something.

That would make sense I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Actually that's a good shout. Yeah maybe they thought they knew me and wanted me to pull over to say I was going the wrong way to the game or something.

That would make sense I suppose

You got back to civilization, that's the main thing!

• Advertisement

You got back to civilization, that's the main thing!

:) haha, very true mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OP you say had side lights on but could you have had fog lights on also and maybe switched dipped beams on and had high beams on by accident.

Was your bonnet open or is the sump guard flapping around under the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Something similar happened to us before. We came out of Tesco and was driving home. A car behind us started flassing it's lights at us and pointing. We pulled in when it was safe to do so and checked the lights/etc. We could find nothing wrong. We realised when we got home we must have left some chocolate on the roof of the car when we were putting our shopping in the car. Thats what they were trying to draw our attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I feel guilty about 'this' to this day, happened about 10 years ago...
    Coming back from the shops after getting the Sunday papers and coming towards a round-about, this guy pulled up along side pointing and mouthing something towards the side of my car..... Anyway I proceeded to give him a mouthful back at the same time opening my passenger window, I really thought he was saying something or other like, 'hey you never even indicated or God knows what'............. Anyway got back to my house! and low and behold the back passenger door obviously hadn't been shut properly, then it all dawned on me, I had come out of the shop thrown the papers in the back and jogged merily round to my door.... If your reading this(ya gent)I do apologise :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

What county car reg have you?

Happened me once when I set off from a lit-up car-park. In the dark. With no lights on! Holy sweet Jesus was I glad they all flashed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

[I had my side-lights on but certainly nothing unusual.

Why?

BTW everybody it's a GREAT IDEA to drive with your lights on. Especially during the day.

and here's the proof....

when someone flashes you for having your lights on.

Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

[I had my side-lights on but certainly nothing unusual.

Why?

BTW everybody it's a GREAT IDEA to drive with your lights on. Especially during the day.
    It actually is a good idea; it's proven to be safer.

Enough said.

Don't see anyone flashing for lights on any more unless some slipped the net I agree it use to be common as had drl's fitted to a 89 sunny back in the day.
    They flashed all the time:pac: the ladies I mean:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Sweet jesus I hope that is sarcasm :eek:

OP you say had side lights on but could you have had fog lights on also and maybe switched dipped beams on and had high beams on by accident.

Was your bonnet open or is the sump guard flapping around under the car?

Thanks for the input and sorry for late reply. But no, I pulled in and checked as much.
    Fog light was my immediate thinking too, but no it wasn't on.
    Definitely just side-lights too

Also, I drove for 90 mins afterwards, without any other reaction.

• Advertisement

and here's the proof....

when someone flashes you for having your lights on.

Enough said

To be fair, I'm not sure why you said this.

It was a dark cloudy morning (half the reason we left) and side-lights on is considered safer.
    (as a previous poster said)

Are you suggesting that driving with side-lights on is wrong?
    And more to the point, are you suggesting that an oncoming car will flash you 5/6 times and grind to a halt while pointing repeatedly just because you have side-lights on?

No offence but I wouldn't be having that.

Anyway, I'd hazard a guess that the chap who suggested the mistaken identity was possibly correct. Well, best thinking so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

One way system?

One way system?

:) Lol. Thankfully not mate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Next time you're tootling along with your sides on to improve visibility, look at the cars coming against you. Which have better visibility, the ones on dips or the ones with their sides on?

The ones driving on sides in rain or fog are the worst. Can they not see how invisible other cars coming against them are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

daveohdave wrote: »
    Next time you're tootling along with your sides on to improve visibility, look at the cars coming against you. Which have better visibility, the ones on dips or the ones with their sides on?

The ones driving on sides in rain or fog are the worst. Can they not see how invisible other cars coming against them are?

Given that many newer cars and indeed older cars are fitted with LED sides which are pretty much DLRL's in terms of brightness then the point about 'just' driving on sides is fairly moot in my opinion. There are certain times when full dips are completely unnecessary. I'm not saying don't use dips, if you car has candles for sides then do, but to bash a driver for just running side lights is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Good chance they weren't flashing at you at all but at something behind you and the following car which you didn't notice because you understandably assumed they were flashing at you. The jersys and stopping bit lead me to think it that they were flagging down a match mini-bus or coach, or a friend.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Good chance they weren't flashing at you at all but something going on behind you and the following car which you didn't notice because you understandably assumed they were flashing at you.

Good call! You may well be right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

ironclaw wrote: »
    Given that many newer cars and indeed older cars are fitted with LED sides which are pretty much DLRL's in terms of brightness then the point about 'just' driving on sides is fairly moot in my opinion. There are certain times when full dips are completely unnecessary. I'm not saying don't use dips, if you car has candles for sides then do, but to bash a driver for just running side lights is wrong.

Clunk click - lights.

People flashing you for having your lights on proves the point. You're being noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ironclaw wrote: »

I left on my side lights and now have a flat battery.

My Volvo seems to think my Side lights are for parking only so doesn't turn them off :D

• Advertisement

I left on my side lights and now have a flat battery.

My Volvo seems to think my Side lights are for parking only so doesn't turn them off :D

that's why you just leave the switch off as these lights auto on/off with car

Advertisement