Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dean clinic assessement on Friday, need advice

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi there

I've been referred to the Dean clinic on Capel St. in Dublin for a mental health assessment due to severe anxiety. The initial assessment is free, but subsequent visits to the psychiatrist cost between 100-150 euros. They offer an anxiety disorders treatment programme but there was no detail about the cost of attending that. I have cover for the dean clinic on my health insurance although I signed up to it last September, and even though this is the first time i've sought clinical treatment for anxiety, I've had symptoms since I was quite young, so I'm hoping they won't apply a pre-existing condition waiting period.

Does anyone have experience with the dean clinics, or how expensive it works out to be?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

If you haven't sought treatment for anxiety before then shouldn't be an issue for your health insurance.

I've heard very positive things about Deans Clinic. I called for price info before and I'm pretty sure it was in the region of 600 per day for full day courses. You should give them a call though and then check how much your insurance will cover.

have you previously attended a Psychiatrist? The consultation price might differ if so. But another thing to consider is that public day hospitals often offer free anxiety classes. So if you are being treated by a HSE psych. at a day hospital you can go to the course there.

Aware are starting Cognitive Behavioural Therapy courses soon. They will take place at weekends over I think 6 sessions in different locations or you can choose to do the course online. These courses are free. CBT was very helpful for me with anxiety in the past. That was in therapy but I heard very good things about the Aware course. I'm doing it myself and it starts at the end of the month.

The British Medical Association have a great book on Anxiety and most chemists stock these books or can get one for you. It has very good tips and relaxation techniques.

If I can help in any way with advice let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Just saw that Aware are doing online lectures on anxiety. Check out aware.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. I got a referral letter for the anxiety day programme yesterday, so they said a clinician would be in contact when they had a place available. I'm going to ring Laya and ask them what my cover is, as although this is my first diagnosis of anxiety/OCD, the symptoms appeared when I was much younger and there was a break in my insurance cover between June 2013 and September 2013 when I switched policies, so I'm just afraid I'll get landed with a massive bill.

Advertisement