Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A week after Carbon Monoxide Awarness Week

Options
  • 06-10-2013 7:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭

From: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lucky-escape-after-chimney-blocked-2336837

Lucky escape after chimney is blocked by crisp packet

Mum & girl’s carbon monoxide poisoning almost killed them

A mother and daughter miraculously cheated death after being poisoned when a crisp packet got stuck in their chimney.

The empty bag was thrown into the fire at the house in Duleek, Co Meath, on September 19 but got swept up the chimney and blocked it, causing a build up of lethal carbon monoxide.

The mother, who does not wish to be named, woke up later that night at 3.30am feeling sick and vomiting.

She suffered two seizures before being taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

Her daughter did not show any symptoms of poisoning at the time and went to school the following day.

However, she was struck down and started vomiting severely later that day too.

The girl’s father admitted this week that both of them were lucky to be alive.

He said: “They were both feeling sick right up to last Wednesday, six days after the incident. We know how lucky they both were.”

It was only after mother and daughter were both brought to hospital suffering with the same symptoms that it was considered they had carbon monoxide poisoning.

A fire officer later went to the house and discovered the crisp packet blocking the chimney.

The dad said: “It was so simple. My daughter threw a Doritos bag into the fire and it shot upward. She didn’t think too much of it and went to bed.

“My sister-in-law went to the house with a carbon monoxide alarm and the reading went through the roof, even after a day.

“The council came out to the house and they called the fire officer. The first place he looked was up the chimney and he found the bag.

“We all know about fire alarms but there was no carbon monoxide alarm in the house, but I went out and bought one for €28.

“You never think it will happen to you, but we were blessed.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

DGOBS wrote: »
    From: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lucky-escape-after-chimney-blocked-2336837

Lucky escape after chimney is blocked by crisp packet

Mum & girl’s carbon monoxide poisoning almost killed them

A mother and daughter miraculously cheated death after being poisoned when a crisp packet got stuck in their chimney.

The empty bag was thrown into the fire at the house in Duleek, Co Meath, on September 19 but got swept up the chimney and blocked it, causing a build up of lethal carbon monoxide.

The mother, who does not wish to be named, woke up later that night at 3.30am feeling sick and vomiting.

She suffered two seizures before being taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.

Her daughter did not show any symptoms of poisoning at the time and went to school the following day.

However, she was struck down and started vomiting severely later that day too.

The girl’s father admitted this week that both of them were lucky to be alive.

He said: “They were both feeling sick right up to last Wednesday, six days after the incident. We know how lucky they both were.”

It was only after mother and daughter were both brought to hospital suffering with the same symptoms that it was considered they had carbon monoxide poisoning.

A fire officer later went to the house and discovered the crisp packet blocking the chimney.

The dad said: “It was so simple. My daughter threw a Doritos bag into the fire and it shot upward. She didn’t think too much of it and went to bed.

“My sister-in-law went to the house with a carbon monoxide alarm and the reading went through the roof, even after a day.

“The council came out to the house and they called the fire officer. The first place he looked was up the chimney and he found the bag.

“We all know about fire alarms but there was no carbon monoxide alarm in the house, but I went out and bought one for €28.

“You never think it will happen to you, but we were blessed.”

All it takes is an alarm that costs a few quid it doesn't mean people should use an alarm instead of servicing and inspection.
    I hope people will learn before there are more lives lost especially since solid fuel stoves have become so fashionable and with no regulatory body and diyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think every house insurance policy should insist on a smoke Alarm and CO alarm

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I think every house insurance policy should insist on a smoke Alarm and CO alarm

It's going to become part of building regs for any heat producing appliance to be fitted Gas,Oil & solid fuel for a Co detector to be fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It's going to become part of building regs for any heat producing appliance to be fitted Gas,Oil & solid fuel for a Co detector to be fitted

Any idea when ?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any idea when ?

It was supposed to be before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement