Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red light cameras?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Are there any red light cameras in ireland? Especially in limerick? What is the fine for jumping the red light?

2 points and €80. Don't think there's any cameras in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One at the back of Heuston in Dublin. Believe that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

If there ever was a case for thse, it was on Thursday morning when I was heading to work - witnessed unbelievably a Garda car ignore at least 3 cars breaking red lights at each if the junctions on the Ballyowen rd in Lucan. At least a dozen cars in the few minutes I travelled this road. Some broke just as they turned red, but some broke red lights even when the traffic coming the opposite way up the Ballyowen Rd has a green - one of the last cars through the junction at the Penny Hill did so in a people carrier packed with children, I would say 3 - 4 seconds after her light went red.

It was a small Garda van and the lads inside seemed to be having great craic, coffees in hand and oblivious to the chaos around them.

Even the clown speeding up the bus lane and almost taking me off my bike at the penny hill pub didn't phase them. Have also seen this in town, on several occasions where cyclists, cars and taxis and anyone who's bothered can break red lights under the guards nose without fear. Most recently Iwitnessed this where a private bus broke the red lights at George's st and nearly took a cyclist out of it, with a traffic corp car right behind it.

The approach to enforcement will always be the shooting fish in the barrel, blitzs (which they've kindly published the hours for the current one) without proactively enforcing the issue.

The only way to stamp this out overnight is red light camera which are desperately lacking in this country. Break a red light - receive an automatic fine and penalty point. That's the way it operates in the UK and this issue has been successfully tacked there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MYOB wrote: »
    One at the back of Heuston in Dublin. Believe that's it

There's another on Blackhall Place just before the Luas tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Would be great to see a few more rolled out. Assume these catch and penalise people automatically?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Church Road in Mulhuddart has a set too - here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scorpionredhot

great informstion. thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

We don't have red light cameras.

Most lights have sensors to detect traffic as mentioned above. Additionally sensors are commonly in place to detect flashing headlights from approaching emergency vehicles. As a result, you often see taxi drives flashing their headlights at apparent middle distance after dark. It works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

We do have red light cameras but I dont think legislation is currently in place to allow fines to be sent out.

Detection for emergency vehicles is not used in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There used to be on at the N11/ Nutley Lane junction city bound, and one at the Johns Road/ South Circular Road Junction Outbound. Both gone a few years. My understanding (in line with the earlier points about not being backed by legisilation) was they were there as an experiment. However, I do know people who were done for speeding with them (put the boot down to make a light, broke the red and got done for the speeding offence).

Advertisement