Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simi gas boiler stopped working

Options
  • 04-10-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Got my gas boiler serviced last feb, everything was fine & got my form saying that.
    A few weeks later it started cutting out & a red light came on.it would work sometimes then stop. The gas fella who serviced came out twice but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. He was going to ring Simi uk to describe problem, I never heard back & he ignored my calls/texts.
    By this time it was May so turned dial to "off" for the summer.
    Today I turned dial to on, clicked a few switches on timer & on came the boiler & fired up.
    After 2 seconds an almighty screeching/sucking noise??? Sound came from the boiler/pipes around it, flame went out & everything stopped.
    The green light is on as normal, no red or flashing lights. The bar gauge is at went from 1 up to 2 now back down to 1.
    I gave it 10 mins, tried again & same thing happened.
    1. Any ideas whats wrong?
    2. Do I have a warranty from that service in February?
    Appreciate an help
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Keith C wrote: »
    Got my gas boiler serviced last feb, everything was fine & got my form saying that.
    A few weeks later it started cutting out & a red light came on.it would work sometimes then stop. The gas fella who serviced came out twice but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. He was going to ring Simi uk to describe problem, I never heard back & he ignored my calls/texts.
    Today I turned dial to on, clicked a few switches on timer & on came the boiler & fired up.
    After 2 seconds an almighty screeching/sucking noise??? Sound came from the boiler/pipes around it, flame went out & everything stopped.
    The green light is on as normal, no red or flashing lights. The bar gauge is at went from 1 up to 2 now back down to 1.
    Appreciate an help
    Thanks

Could be your pump, fan , heat exchanger , what form did you get , was it a cert 3 , if this wasn't happening at the time of the service or if it didn't happen right after it was serviced you don't really have cover , it would be like if you got your car serviced then a few weeks later your suspension goes , it wouldn't be covered in the service you just got done , but the plumber should have the decency to answer his phone to you ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Appreciate an help
    Thanks
    It's possible the pump has seized because it's been off all summer. You might want to change your RGI if he's carrying on like that. Where did you get him from? was he recomended?

This of course will have nothing to do with the original problem. Was the red light flashing or steady on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

JohnnieK wrote: »
    It's possible the pump has seized because it's been off all summer. You might want to change your RGI if he's carrying on like that. Where did you get him from? was he recomended?

This of course will have nothing to do with the original problem. Was the red light flashing or steady on?

I got him on a groupon & he's on there regularly advertising since. It's a cert 3 I have. Typical it runs fine till it gets serviced! The old problem was it would start fine, then flame would go out when temp was reached. After few mins the gas would start up again but the flame failed to light, then there was a click & red light came on. That's the original problem that couldn't be fixed.
    Tried to fire up today after 3 months, it started fine & flame came on fine, then the almighty noise then nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Either way, you will need a decent RGI who can properly diagnose the issues.

Stay away from Group on and get a decent RGI. Talk to your friends and family for recommendations. He's too busy with groupon to come back.

• Advertisement

Stay away from Group on and get a decent RGI. Talk to your friends and family for recommendations. He's too busy with groupon to come back.

Yeah I'll check with friends or else check on rgi site. Is there specific rgi that would deal with Simi? Last guy wasn't familiar with them
    Thanks for comments

Yeah I'll check with friends or else check on rgi site. Is there specific rgi that would deal with Simi? Last guy wasn't familiar with them
    Thanks for comments

A boiler is a boiler , any decent rgi should be able to faultfind on any boiler , the mostly work on the same principle , but you can't really go wrong with recommendations , don't expect someone you find on the rgi website to be good just because they are on the rgi list

As a matter of interest how much did he charge for the service and how long was he there servicing it

sullzz wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how much did he charge for the service and how long was he there servicing it

Probably €35 or €65 if they got the system flush.

Aye open the safety valve then repressurise it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Was driving through town earlier on and a lad in a van opposite me in traffic had a sticker on the side of his van saying" service 39 euro + vat " , I asked him what he did for that price , he said whatever his analyser told him , at least he had an analyser I thought , I asked if he even took the case off the boiler , his reply was "not at all if the readings were right why would I "

Think €39 & was there for 20/30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Think €39 & was there for 20/30 mins

Enough said. You get what u pay for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Enough said. You get what u pay for

Not always. I had one yesterday where it was always serviced by the manufacturer (my pet hate) & was always charged €120. I serviced yesterday & customer said they always have to top up the pressure. Manufacturer always told them they have a leak. He also said is was always hard to get air into the boiler vessel!
    Customer kept a plumber to find leak but never could.
    First thing I checked was the schrader valve only to find it full of water. Signs of water leaving safety valve.

Boiler was never drained either!

shane0007 wrote: »
    Not always. I had one yesterday where it was always serviced by the manufacturer (my pet hate) & was always charged €120. I serviced yesterday & customer said they always have to top up the pressure. Manufacturer always told them they have a leak. He also said is was always hard to get air into the boiler vessel!
    Customer kept a plumber to find leak but never could.
    First thing I checked was the schrader valve only to find it full of water. Signs of water leaving safety valve.

Boiler was never drained either!

There's always gonna be people who take advantage I suppose.

sullzz wrote: »
    Was driving through town earlier on and a lad in a van opposite me in traffic had a sticker on the side of his van saying" service 39 euro + vat " , I asked him what he did for that price , he said whatever his analyser told him , at least he had an analyser I thought , I asked if he even took the case off the boiler , his reply was "not at all if the readings were right why would I "

Are these people not looking at MI instructions ffs. I've yet to find a manual that says stick the analiser in and if the readings are fine off you go.

Are these people not looking at MI instructions ffs. I've yet to find a manual that says stick the analiser in and if the readings are fine off you go.

I've heard that's common practice in England

Analysers they were first introduced to allow a gas engineer to determine if a old boiler was safe to use and leave on if you didn't want to strip it down fully in fear of damaging it during a full service(it was more so for floor standing boilers that only had a few years left but wouldn't put up with a full service).

Like everything else the criteria given for dealing with the older boilers was robbed and used across the board to allow "engineers" to do a 20 minute service.

A installer of gas boilers is handing the MI to the householder making it the householder responsibility to read it and let him know how to fit the boiler as he's never fitted one of those type before.

Things are now beyond a joke and we are a joke but I'm not laughing.

Advertisement