Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live? New job in Mallow

Options
  • 02-10-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I'll be working in Mallow for less than 6 months and am trying to figure whether to a)live in Mallow seeing as it's short-term (and I previously lived in Cork city for some time so Mallow would be a new place for me) and save my energy and petrol money or b) live closer to Cork, have the amenities of the city etc. I will be moving in with strangers either way and see rents are about the same so it's down to small deciding factors.

Anyone know how traffic leaving Cork in the direction of Mallow would be morning and evening? If it would end up being much more than 45 mins commute it may not be worth it... Plus any good suggestions for where to live near the city for ease of commuting? I reckon Blackpool, maybe Mayfield...any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Malls has a very regular and fast train commute from Cork. The Drive is a bit of a pain and the mallow road at night is really bad in my opinion, depending on which part of city commute should be less than 45 mins. No offence to anyone living in mallow but I would rather live in Cork and commute. Any night out in Cork will entail a Cab home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you'd be travelling against the bulk of the traffic from Cork. Time would be much less than 45 minutes (I can do Kanturk to Blackpool in that time and we're 12 miles or so from Mallow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

If you take your going out seriously, Mallow isn't great.
    One or two decent bars, the rest are dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lir6777 wrote: »
    I will be moving in with strangers either way and see rents are about the same so it's down to small deciding factors.

seems obvious to live in Mallow then, you don't have to waste 1.5 hours a day commuting and don't bear the costs associated with it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

...obvious LARGE deciding factors I would agree....

Advertisement