Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver not stopping due to bus full.

Options
  • 30-09-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭

Waiting on the bus today along with many others.

Bus was coming to stop and about 50 yards away from stop he changes the destination to bus full.

He rather drive past everyone than stop to let a few people on and have the hassle to tell people no more can get on.

I know people will say that it could have been full but it stinked of couldn't be bothered to let a handful with the such late change to bus full.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,356 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Having been on dozens of full buses, I can tell you why he didn't pull up at the stop - it's because there are people who refuse to accept that they cannot get on. There are certain categories of people who start getting on a bus even before others get off, let alone that they might heed a driver telling them that he's full and only letting people off.

Think old dears with free passes who think they can do what they bloody well like, that's why drivers pull the bus over before or after the stop to let people off when they're full. Try telling a granny with a wheelie shopping bag to get off the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

I dont see a problem here if the bus is full its full,

get the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don't need the bus anymore but I did for a period of 3 months this time last year and you could see the effect that 'Network Direct' (i.e. the cutbacks in services) was having on rush hour traffic - streamlining routes into one service means that buses get fuller faster and if you live nearer the City Centre you're fairly goosed for getting on from about 8.20am - 9.10am. Its basically touch and go for getting on at those times and you can absolutely forget about it if its raining or looks anyway inclement out there.

One thing that does bother me if its 'full' is if the passengers have just crowded into as far as the wheelchair bay - you can fit another ~4ish people beyond the bay. But drivers may not see this so carry on. I always make a point of going back as far as I can. I'd apportion blame for this as being 50/50 - passengers too ignorant to be good commuters and drivers not giving a ****e. Some drivers are very good in this regard though - shouting at folks to move down and make room or letting you know if there's seats upstairs.

Incidentally I had my own not stopping experience last Thursday; waited specifically for a #1 and noticed that the RTPI was fairly inaccurate - i.e. it was 'due 2 mins' for about 10 mins. Bus comes, I stick out my hand clearly and the driver just flat out ignores it. He gets stopped by reds about 20 yards away so I walk up and bang on the door - knows I'm there but doesn't acknowledge it. Didn't get the bus number and tbh I got over my initial annoyance a little while after so didn't complain (and I won't here either!) but it was the most blatant ignoring of a passenger I've ever encountered. To any of the bus drivers here - are you under pressure to keep to RTPI times? Cos that's the only reason I can think of for him ignoring my stop. Two of my mates were on board and hit the stop button for the next stop after he didn't stop for me but he ignored that too. We were meeting in town anyway so they left it.

I've rationalised it as I just happened upon a wanker of a driver. And tbf you get them type of people in every walk of life from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I dont see a problem here if the bus is full its full,

get the next one.

And what if there are 2 hour gaps in the timetable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

n97 mini wrote: »

The 239 is lucky to have anyone other than the driver on it in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 239 is lucky to have anyone other than the driver on it in fairness.

It's not that bad - it does carry people generally for short hops along different portions of the route, but it's unlikely to ever be completely full.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's not that bad - it does carry people generally for short hops along different portions of the route, but it's unlikely to ever be completely full.

I know, it goes by my way. I was just pointing out how extreme his example was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

cson wrote: »
    One thing that does bother me if its 'full' is if the passengers have just crowded into as far as the wheelchair bay - you can fit another ~4ish people beyond the bay. But drivers may not see this so carry on. I always make a point of going back as far as I can. I'd apportion blame for this as being 50/50 - passengers too ignorant to be good commuters and drivers not giving a ****e. Some drivers are very good in this regard though - shouting at folks to move down and make room or letting you know if there's seats upstairs.
    My own pet hate around bus etiquette are the people who sit on the stairs. Quite often I'll ask to get past, they mumble about 'no seats upstairs' and when I say I'll take a peek anyway, there are often half a dozen or more free seats near the back. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Daemonic wrote: »
    My own pet hate around bus etiquette are the people who sit on the stairs. Quite often I'll ask to get past, they mumble about 'no seats upstairs' and when I say I'll take a peek anyway, there are often half a dozen or more free seats near the back. :mad:

There are always seats upstairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

coylemj wrote: »
    Having been on dozens of full buses, I can tell you why he didn't pull up at the stop - it's because there are people who refuse to accept that they cannot get on. There are certain categories of people who start getting on a bus even before others get off, let alone that they might heed a driver telling them that he's full and only letting people off.

Think old dears with free passes who think they can do what they bloody well like, that's why drivers pull the bus over before or after the stop to let people off when they're full. Try telling a granny with a wheelie shopping bag to get off the bus!
    So if there are no grannies with shopping trollies at the stop will he pull over and tell everyone else that it is full.

Or are their other groups of people who like to get on, not just an ageist sexist stereotype?

• Advertisement

239 was an example of a bus with 2 hour gaps in the timetable, to illustrate how flippant a comment like "get the next bus" can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

What's that posts point? It's either condoning the overloading of a vehicle or saying that the timetable needs work. The former is dumb and the latter is off topic.

Maybe he was waiting to see if anyone rang the bell to get off and with 50yards to go he knew that wasn't going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    So if there are no grannies with shopping trollies at the stop will he pull over and tell everyone else that it is full.

Or are their other groups of people who like to get on, not just an ageist sexist stereotype?

One of the problems with dismissing Coylemj's opinion is that in many cases it tends to be accurate.

Cross-City journeys particularly,tend to present these issues in extremis,with very little hope of it being addressed UNLESS the Busdriver becomes assertive,an approach which will GUARANTEE complaints from other non-involved passengers.

I speak from daily personal experience of selfishness on an often Mind-Boggling scale,whereby the basic traits of human nature take precedence and regard for other peoples requirements or entitlements count for nothing.

In approximately 70% of these contentious space-hogging cases the non-conformist will be a "Senior",and will simply ignore any and all attempts to dislodge them from their chosen location.

This approach,sadly,is usually successful,as most Busdrivers,do not have any interest in being hauled up before their Manager on foot of a complaint from some other passenger/observer who heard/saw a fraction of the full incident.

The one major benefit of the double-door GT class,which is now beginning to percolate down is that the Luggage Rail Clamper can be actively and positively discommoded by insisting on their using the Centre Door to Exit,a process usually resulting in much muttering,grumbling and accusations of ill-intent.

This is one issue where Passengers themselves can play a big part in helping things along.

I have one regular gentleman who sits downstairs and monitors the loading situation,loudly telling people that there are seats available and not to be blocking the aisle etc etc....It's quite instructional to see the difference in response to a similar request made by the Driver.....;)

It IS a signficant issue,and a worsening one,which at a guess I'd estimate is resulting in c.5% of our Cross-City Peak Capacity being unutilized.

My suggestion to peak-time passengers is to always glance at the upper saloon and try to assess it's loading as the Bus approaches and DON'T be afraid to inform the Driver AND those passengers loitering about the stairs of this !!.

Time to get Germanic about it !!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I'm not sure if it was made official policy not to stop unless the driver feels they can allow everyone waiting to board, but I have noticed that change in the last few years. Having seen the abuse when they had to turn people away, I can't say I blame them.
    It should also be mentioned, I've been on a bus a few times that drove straight past a stop with a large crowd waiting because the bus could only handle a few more but as soon as we came to a stop where the number waiting matched the remaining capacity, the driver stopped to allow people on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

239 was an example of a bus with 2 hour gaps in the timetable, to illustrate how flippant a comment like "get the next bus" can be.

A city bus route with a 2 hour gap in service is unlikely to be one that is full - if it was the frequency would be increased to match demand.

Again: less frequent buses can be full. "Get the next bus" is flippant. Also OP never said it was a city bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Again: less frequent buses can be full. "Get the next bus" is flippant.

Then what do you suggest is said?

Fact is that if the bus is full then waiting for the next one is the only option a driver can offer. That is equally true for a 2 minute wait or a 2 hour wait.

Again: less frequent buses can be full. "Get the next bus" is flippant. Also OP never said it was a city bus.
    Only buses I see with a "Bus Full" on the route display are BE so most likely not DB.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Then what do you suggest is said?

Fact is that if the bus is full then waiting for the next one is the only option a driver can offer. That is equally true for a 2 minute wait or a 2 hour wait.

Or it might be an overnight wait.

I would suggest not frivolously saying anything until the facts are established.

• Advertisement

Or it might be an overnight wait.

I would suggest not frivolously saying anything until the facts are established.

I think this line of posting should be dropped as there is no real basis of logic for it. There could be one bus every year for all I care, it is not a flippant to say that the only course of action from a drivers point of view is to tell people wait for the next bus. Additionally, if that is not convenient, arrange a different method. Whatever happens though, make sure the company knows that there is a capacity issue.

N97, someone should not board or be given a chance to board a fully loaded vehicle. From what your posts suggest, you support vehicle overloading when there is a very infrequent service. An overloaded vehicle is not a function of bus frequency, a full bus is just a full bus. Not enough services? Deal with it. If we do it right, an extra service or bigger vehicle would at least be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

short of someone inventing a Harry Potter style magic bus, and taking into account various ways to get door donkeys and other idlers to move into available space, sometimes buses get full. If drivers were letting people on beyond the rated maximum capacity of the bus people here would be moaning about unsafe practices. Moving to a set down mode until the bus is safe to load more keeps the bus moving and prevents it being late at its terminus and thus for its return journey.

bbk wrote: »
    N97, someone should not board or be given a chance to board a fully loaded vehicle. From what your posts suggest, you support vehicle overloading when there is a very infrequent service.
    I suggested nothing of the sort. Read my posts again. I am of the opinion people should not make flippant remarks like "get the next bus" without knowing when the next bus is, where it is going, what the alternative options are etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Those buses are never full, like someone said there are always seats upstairs.

Its the cúnts who stand downstairs and stay downstairs even when the driver tells them there are seats up there, go use them, they still refuse to listen and make the bus look like its full.

CúNTS

I suggested nothing of the sort. Read my posts again. I am of the opinion people should not make flippant remarks like "get the next bus" without knowing when the next bus is, where it is going, what the alternative options are etc.

So what is your contribution to the conversation besides giving out about the suggestion that someone get alternative transport when the bus they initially planned is unsafe to travel in (overloaded if he/she gets on)?

Since waiting for the next bus is not something you support, what is your advice regarding:
    A) What the driver should say to the person
    B) What the person should do

Answer those and the post at least contribute to the thread instead of giving off about about a perfectly valid piece of advice. I do not see how it is not a serious suggestion or how it shows a disrespectful attitude towards the poor fellow who gets stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Those buses are never full, like someone said there are always seats upstairs.

Its the cúnts who stand downstairs and stay downstairs even when the driver tells them there are seats up there, go use them, they still refuse to listen and make the bus look like its full.

CúNTS
    Tone it down

I remember a few months back waiting on a 16 northbound from beside the Rotunda hospital...

16 comes, drives straight past. Absolutely livid, I notice he's stopped in traffic ahead. Proceed to shout blue murder at him about the people left behind, only then notice the bus load of Spanish students blocking up the aisles. Felt rather sheepish.

I can understand, just wish he'd put up "bus full".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

just saw some driver go crazy on the bus I am on which his many standing on the 7 when he refused to open middle doors..about ten got off the front doors and least a couple missed their stop expecting middle doors to open did not let anyone on the bu. Cue a polite question to let the passengers off as they expected middle doors to open driver sighs and passenger asks him why not.using them and he says they are not allowed to use them at all In a very aggressive tone

I woukd.complain but it's.pointless since this driver never uses the doors and there was always going to be a confrontation sooner or later. This is the kind of.driver we can do without.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

To be fair from a few friends who use the bus reguarly, I've heard that the middle doors are being used a bit more now than they were a few weeks back, but the fact this was on the 7 does not surprise me, when I was commuting to Ballsbridge for 18 months I often had run ins with drivers on there about their lack of customer care and customer service, although never experienced any problems getting the 4!

If it's safe to do so, the doors should be opened, and it's no wonder people will instinctively go to the front door when they see things like that. DB saying that they are not opening the middle doors because passengers are not going to them, is a poor excuse, ang neglects to mention the fact that actions by their drivers is encouraging that practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

"If it is safe to do so" but the driver can just say it was not safe to suit his/her mood.

Advertisement