Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-connection of Gas Query?

• 17-07-2013 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

My sister moved into a new home that does not have a connection of gas. It had been switched off by Board Gas.

All the companies she rang have said that they will need to send out a Board Gas supplier for a charge of €80.

I was just wondering if I know someone who can reconnect this so she doesn't have to pay that charge before going with the supplier, is this perfectly legal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

That would be a standard charge to call out, carry out a full Annexe E test of the installation. I would charge that myself.
    However, if the meter has been removed, the charge would be much higher as the you will require a different cert which cost a lot more.

You will then also need a further test & service of any appliances once gas has been re-established to the premises BEFORE any appliance is switched on.
    This would be a further cost. Economics do not play a factor with safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

shane0007 wrote: »
    That would be a standard charge to call out, carry out a full Annexe E test of the installation. I would charge that myself.
    However, if the meter has been removed, the charge would be much higher as the you will require a different cert which cost a lot more.

You will then also need a further test & service of any appliances once gas has been re-established to the premises BEFORE any appliance is switched on.
    This would be a further cost. Economics do not play a factor with safety.

So rather than try save on the €80, its best to just let the provider sort it and pay the fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

So rather than try save on the €80, its best to just let the provider sort it and pay the fee?

No they will not do that. You will need an RGI to do the test, issue a cert & then give that cert to the supplier to re-connect gas. Once re-connected, get RGI back to service all appliances & re-certify.
    Is there a meter in place or has it been removed?

shane0007 wrote: »
    No they will not do that. You will need an RGI to do the test, issue a cert & then give that cert to the supplier to re-connect gas. Once re-connected, get RGI back to service all appliances & re-certify.
    Is there a meter in place or has it been removed?

No there is a meter there. Just looks like the last folks never paid there bill. Seems like its just "turned off".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

takes time. you wont be out of there in under a hour and with the price of certs. 80 is quite fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hi Folks,

Sorry for jumping onto an old thread but had a similar issue, just purchased a house and the supply had been cut, BGN said I had to go back to the previous supplier to arrange to have it reinstated, the charge was €160 which is double what the OP was charged. Is the €80 a standard charge and are they after stiffing me for the callout for disconnection of the previous owner as well as the reconnection?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Sorry for jumping onto an old thread but had a similar issue, just purchased a house and the supply had been cut, BGN said I had to go back to the previous supplier to arrange to have it reinstated, the charge was €160 which is double what the OP was charged. Is the €80 a standard charge and are they after stiffing me for the callout for disconnection of the previous owner as well as the reconnection?

She went with Electric Ireland and they charged her for re-connection (there was no avoiding it). The other €80 is for disconnection which you shouldnt be liable for at all.

However, innitially she wanted to stay with the provider that the original householder had (Flo Gas) and they wanted her to pay the €160 and wouldnt waiver.

Advertisement