Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Wall

• 30-08-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

The connection between north wall and docklands line to glasnevin junction was beginning to be disconnected today and although not a highly used connection these days, is it a mistake to do so? And will further rationalisation begin in the yard as there is very little going on there these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Standard pratice in IE unfortunatly. Some accountant's spread sheet will give the right result at the end of the quarter.
    davidlacey wrote: »
    The connection between north wall and docklands line to glasnevin junction was beginning to be disconnected today and although not a highly used connection these days, is it a mistake to do so? And will further rationalisation begin in the yard as there is very little going on there these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Standard pratice in IE unfortunatly. Some accountant's spread sheet will give the right result at the end of the quarter.

Which given the current state of things may be the right approach. It may be unpopular, but if it hardy used then it is the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Bit shortsighted, any blockage on the Drumcondra route will mean North Wall, the Port and freight etc get cut off. Oh well.

Maybe they'll use the space now to make a connection between the Drumcondra line and docklands letting Heuston trains run to Docklands via the tunnel, as there's plenty of capacity there. The main problem with tunnel routings was Connolly capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Bit shortsighted, any blockage on the Drumcondra route will mean North Wall, the Port and freight etc get cut off. Oh well.

Maybe they'll use the space now to make a connection between the Drumcondra line and docklands letting Heuston trains run to Docklands via the tunnel, as there's plenty of capacity there. The main problem with tunnel routings was Connolly capacity.

If there is blockage now even if they didn't remove this route how do they move the freight? as you say there is no connection from docklands to Heuston.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

If there is blockage now even if they didn't remove this route how do they move the freight? as you say there is no connection from docklands to Heuston.

Good point. Well they could have with some reversing but yeah. Just seems a bit stupid to isolate a port.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yes

The points at Docklands were only left in situ to make for easier access for PW trains headed south of Connolly. I gather that it was seldom used and the points are needed elsewhere hence it's removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Which given the current state of things may be the right approach. It may be unpopular, but if it hardy used then it is the right decision.

whats popularity got to do with it? not that thats the reason in this particular case, but removing infrastructure because the operator is strapped for cash is never ever the right decisian and should never ever happen. BR did things like singling of lines, and even removing connections just to save a grand, as you can imagine the cost to put it back was probably more then any savings since the removal

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The points at Docklands were only left in situ to make for easier access for PW trains headed south of Connolly. I gather that it was seldom used and the points are needed elsewhere hence it's removal.
    any idea where they will be reused?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

any idea where they will be reused?

I know that a lot of points in Inchicore are in bad need of replacement; some of them are in situ for over 120 years now. New points are extremely expensive to purchase and install so it's common enough to remove old ones and to reuse them were possible.

I know that a lot of points in Inchicore are in bad need of replacement; some of them are in situ for over 120 years now. New points are extremely expensive to purchase and install so it's common enough to remove old ones and to reuse them were possible.

Which begs the question where did the Celtic tiger money go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Shiny new rolling-stock and wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

It was last used Wednesday 23rd October 2013 for a materials train that worked Portlaoise to Docklands station via NW, when locomotive 072 reversed from Granaries to Docklands station to unload it's cargo of rails. I don't understand it's removal, tis a bit like, I don't use my little finger anymore so I may as well cut off
    Regards
    hg

Said points were repaired and fitted in 2007 with Celtic Tiger money so I guess it's still being put to use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were no trains out of docklands at 5 on Friday due to a "points failure" - was this real or due to removal work that over ran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

There never was any Celtic Tiger money. We borrowed it all, that's why we're up the creek now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Nothing borrowed by the State during Tiger did anything like as much damage as guaranteeing Anglo did. In any event, there are more than enough threads on this board answering the question put - IE had a simply enormous infrastructural deficit. But even as that was being sorted, time and again people would ask this as if it was to deliver TGVs rather than to remove the threat of imminent fatal accidents.

There was fault is that where lines needed major work, there was no obvious examination for the ongoing business case of the line before approving the works - Rosslare-Waterford arguably the best example, where rails were left and if I recall correctly stolen after the line was suspended.

Edit: like Foynes, I would imagine Dublin Port would be told "we don't need it, if you do pay for it" if it was deemed freight-useful but not so for passenger.

There are pictures of north wall rationalisation on Facebook under the Irish permanent way group

dowlingm wrote: »
    Nothing borrowed by the State during Tiger did anything like as much damage as guaranteeing Anglo did. In any event, there are more than enough threads on this board answering the question put - IE had a simply enormous infrastructural deficit. But even as that was being sorted, time and again people would ask this as if it was to deliver TGVs rather than to remove the threat of imminent fatal accidents.

There was fault is that where lines needed major work, there was no obvious examination for the ongoing business case of the line before approving the works - Rosslare-Waterford arguably the best example, where rails were left and if I recall correctly stolen after the line was suspended.

Edit: like Foynes, I would imagine Dublin Port would be told "we don't need it, if you do pay for it" if it was deemed freight-useful but not so for passenger.
    your correct. infact i don't think it was very long after the DTA stole the service from us. certainly examining the case to do works would have been the right thing to do but this is ireland so arse ways is the way.

• Advertisement

There are pictures of north wall rationalisation on Facebook under the Irish permanent way group
    Can you post a link, couldn't find it on facebook, just want to see how accurate it is.

Regards
    h.gricer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

h.gricer wrote: »

Great photos though it's a pity that they don't label them better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

h.gricer wrote: »

Very odd group that. People praising them for the great job they are doing demolishing the network.

Advertisement