Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very weird issue with Windows Deployment - Please helo,

Options
  • 30-08-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a very weird issue here.

Basically I have a WDS server set up in my job.

I have just created an image to be deployed. Sysprepped and all that jazz too.

However....

Upon Startup I press F12 - Press the Network Controller - And this time it completely skips the part where it asks me if I want to deploy or capture x86/x64 and instead just presumes I am deploying a 64 bit image.
    So that loads and then presents with only one image to be deployed.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? It's driving me insane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What version of Server are you running ?
    Which OS are you trying to deploy ?
    How many install images have you created ?
    Have you created a deploy image AND a capture image ?
    You need to create a capture image to capture a sysprepped client OS.

If you're using Server 2012R2 to deploy and capture then the capture image will most likely fail. If that's the case then post back.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Thanks for your reply.

Win Server 2012 / WIn 8

Os I am trying to deploy is Win7 enterprise.

Yes I have created that. The issue is that I no longer get the option to capture an image when I press F12. It just loads straight into deployment rather than capture.

Yes I have syspreped too.

Any ideas what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you by any chance set a default boot image in the WDS settings ?

In Server Manager > Windows Deployment Services > open the Properties on the WDS Server and select the "Boot" tab.
    At the bottom of that pane under "Default boot image (optional)" remove any entries you have in there.

That's the only thing I can think of that would cause what is happening to you. Any image mentioned in there will over-ride the first menu.

Hope this helps ? I'm not a sysadmin and I'm currently doing an MCSA in Server 2012R2 so my knowledge is limited.

Some more info to hopefully spare you some headaches.

There's an issue with Capture images created in 2012R2. Once booted from the image the client will report that it cannot find winload.exe. To fix the problem this is what I did:

1. Move the capture image to the root of the drive. e.g. c:\capture.wim
    2. Create a directory called mountdir - C:\mountdir
    3. Open an elevated prompt and enter -

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\capture.wim /mountdir:C:\mountdir /index:1

4. Once disk is finished mounting the file, run:

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mountdir /commit

When it's finished go back to the WDS panel and create a new boot image and point it to C:\capture.wim.

The image should now work as expected though in my experience it's better to create the capture image for Windows 7 from a Windows 7 boot.wim file.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Advertisement