Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slate Size

• 02-02-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'll soon be roofing and need to decide on a suitable slate soon. I've been looking at Tegral's Torres and the Capco Samaca. The house will have a field stone finish at the front and I'm looking to keep to the traditional farmhouse look.

Anyway I've a feeling the 600x300 rather than the 500x250 would be a better look. My only concern is that the roof isn't really big enough to show the larger slate and might look a bit goofy.

I've attached the relevant elevation which is 12.5m wide and 8.84m from ground to roof pitch high. One rep thinks the larger one would look better, the other the smaller one. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey Barney.

What is the rafter length i.e how many courses of slates,600x300?
    I think either size would work well Imo
    Over the years i have worked on refurb/farmhouse, and would say it was split down the middle,large v smaller slates on existing.

What would swing the decision for me in your case would be the characteristics of the slates, how thick, the grain,the edge. The fact that your house is a story and a half,i would be inclined to fit a heavier detailed slate so it compliments your stonework. Torres- quarry- relatively smooth... Samaca-quarry-relatively smooth also.With your roof that bit higher,visually these details are harder to see.

Tegral used to,maybe still, do a slate called bretona, they are a heavy detailed slate and look lovely fitted.

Had you put any thought in fitting reclaimed blue bangors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Hey Barney.

What is the rafter length i.e how many courses of slates,600x300?
    I think either size would work well Imo
    Over the years i have worked on refurb/farmhouse, and would say it was split down the middle,large v smaller slates on existing.

What would swing the decision for me in your case would be the characteristics of the slates, how thick, the grain,the edge. The fact that your house is a story and a half,i would be inclined to fit a heavier detailed slate so it compliments your stonework. Torres- quarry- relatively smooth... Samaca-quarry-relatively smooth also.With your roof that bit higher,visually these details are harder to see.

Tegral used to,maybe still, do a slate called bretona, they are a heavy detailed slate and look lovely fitted.

Had you put any thought in fitting reclaimed blue bangors?

I've no idea about the course length, sorry. It's a 2 storey by the way.

The rep sent me on some photos of the 600x300 and they look fine so I think I'll tent towards that.

I'm actually pricing both the Torres and Samaca so it look like I'm on the right path. I've samples of these and also the Bretona you mention. I think it might be a bit too rustic however so will probably go with the Torres or Samaca but probably the Samaca 600x300.

I did think about reclaimed blue bangors but don't think my budget can stretch that far.

Sorry, on the elevation at a glance the windows seemed closer to the facia hence my thinking story and 1/2.
    What price are the samaca coming in at out of curiosity?

If you like,for your costings, i could work out the quantity of slates on the roof for you. What pitch/angle is the roof?

I'm looking at the Samaca Q49 7mm and seems like a good choice to me. The roof is at a 40 degree angle and sits below t/at the same level as the road. So 600x300 or 500x250 or is it just an either or?

Please see attached image.

Hey Barney
    Both size slates would look good, but if i was pushed to make a call,personally, i would run with the 24x12. The roof is at a nice pitch and you have height with the two story. Had you put any thoughts of fitting some curved/decorative courses of slate on the roof. I cut some on my roof and very happy,visually, with the finish.

• Advertisement

Hey Barney
    Both size slates would look good, but if i was pushed to make a call,personally, i would run with the 24x12. The roof is at a nice pitch and you have height with the two story. Had you put any thoughts of fitting some curved/decorative courses of slate on the roof. I cut some on my roof and very happy,visually, with the finish.

Thanks for the opinion of the slate size. Yes I think the bigger slate will leave it a bit simpler looking which is what I want. The smaller might make it look a bit busy?

Regarding the decorative slate I haven't considered it. Would you be able to post a few images to give me some ideas? I'd like to keep it simple but a small bit of decoration might be nice also.

Thanks for your help with this leather, very genuine!

:) No problem.
    I fitted four courses at the bottom and three torwards the top,24x12 also.
    Cut them with a hand guillotene. A day or so graded and cut them all.
    Its down to personal preference and house style i guess

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Went for a cruise in the car yesterday and looked at 2 houses with the large and small Samacas. Think I'll go with the Samaca Q49 7mm, 600x300 (large) slate. The smaller one was just too busy on a plain roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hughesero

Hi Barney, thinking of putting on 60x30 Samacas on my roof. What do you think of them? Would you have any photos to see what they are like installed.

Hughesero wrote: »
    Hi Barney, thinking of putting on 60x30 Samacas on my roof. What do you think of them? Would you have any photos to see what they are like installed.

Will try and dig out some pics. Very happy with them. Go for this size if you have a plain or large roof. For now you can get an idea of how they look here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91086713&postcount=1755

• Advertisement

As promised, some snaps of the sexy Samaca 600x300 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hughesero

BarneyMc wrote: »
    As promised, some snaps of the sexy Samaca 600x300 :)

Looks beautiful Barney I have decided to run with these slates will post a pic when installed. Thanks again. P.S house looks great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Traditionalist

This house and outbuilding is a great job.
    I'm interested in the decorative courses of half round slates suggested by Genuine Leather. Did you need to reduce the gauge to compensate for the fact that the nail holes (in the row below) are now closer to the edge of the rounded slate (with the corners cut off)?
    Or did you fix all courses to the same gauge?

Hey Traditionalist
    Yeah i went with normal centers for the 24x12 slates.
    The cutting of the curve starts approx in line with the nails of the slate
    underneath so imo i feel the cover is fine. When you strip old slates the waterlines underneath have
    somewhat of a curved shape. Water to me seems to flow off a curved slate a small bit faster.
    So all equal centers on the roof laths.

Advertisement