Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

cltt97 wrote: »
    Friend of mine had them, they were surgically removed and all is fine... try not to stress... have you gotten an appointment yet?
    No appointment yet only at gp today she is trying to get me in on Monday evening seems like she wants a rush on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

I had a scan done in the Charlemont clinic, I think they give appointments quite fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

And it cost 145 Euros (in 2012 that was) if that helps!

cltt97 wrote: »
    And it cost 145 Euros (in 2012 that was) if that helps!
    Thanks for that ,I am hoping for to get scan in clane for Tuesday evening.
    145 euro😞

Hi all, just a quick update it might help somebody who finds themselves in the same boat,only got scan done yesterday it took about 20 minutes in total and he was very precise and scanned the whole neck not just the area with lump.
    He did not give much away but there are multiple nodules on both sides not just where the lump is and also that my Thyroid is very large and inflamed which it seems is putting pressure on my neck making it a little difficult to swallow .
    My bloods taken on Monday came back ok I had another lot taken today.
    Next GP visit is Wednesday they will have the scan and blood results.
    It now looking likely I will need some kind of surgery. :eek:
    If people want I can keep this forum updated , as I said it might help someone who finds themselves in similar circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 MistySky

harr wrote: »
    It now looking likely I will need some kind of surgery. :eek:
    If people want I can keep this forum updated , as I said it might help someone who finds themselves in similar circumstances.

Best of luck harr - hope everything goes well for you! Thanks for sharing your story too - I'm sure it will help anyone else in the same boat!

I've been feeling really unwell in the last 6 months or so - it's gotten to the point where I can barely function the fatigue is so bad. I have a raft of other symptoms (forgetfulness, non-existent concentration, lack of interest in everything etc.) but the fatigue is the worst. I feel like I don't have a life right now :(

My endo has prescribed Armour, which I'm hoping to start this week. I'm really hopeful that it will work.

But the other thing I've been researching recently is the minera coil. I had one fitted about 1.5 / 2 years ago to help with severe menorrhagia. I've been reading online that this can have nasty side effects too, similar to those of hypothyroidism. Has anyone had any experience with the minera coil? I'm seriously thinking of having it removed, but dread the return of the menorrhagia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rosie1983

Hello all,

Haven't posted in a while. Been on Erfa since April of last year and it is definitely suiting me well. Everything was in the normal ranges and I was feeling great for most of the last year, bar a few energy lapses and anxiety-laden periods!! But overall so so much better than when I was on Eltroxin! Went for a blood test a few weeks ago for first time since end of March and was disappointed to learn that my T4 and TSH were off again! Not sure why, nothing has really changed since my last test, in fact I've lost half a stone. My T3 is still fine though. So my endo is testing EVERYTHING again in a few weeks before we change the dose because I react to the smallest changes in dose.

Anyway I'm eating really well, not being too strict just eating mostly organic and not eating any junk, having a treat day once a week and not eating too much sugar or fried things.

I should have known my thyroid was off though because I was definitely feeling very very tired for a few weeks before the blood test and couldn't understand why. Hoping it passes soon and I can continue to lose weight and feel great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

MistySky wrote: »
    I've been feeling really unwell in the last 6 months or so - it's gotten to the point where I can barely function the fatigue is so bad. I have a raft of other symptoms (forgetfulness, non-existent concentration, lack of interest in everything etc.) but the fatigue is the worst. I feel like I don't have a life right now :(

My endo has prescribed Armour, which I'm hoping to start this week. I'm really hopeful that it will work.

Just wanted to say I wish you the best with the NDT, so glad you've been able to access it.

Just a little update,scan and bloods back today ...bloods are prefect but the scan showed 2 nodules on left side and two on the right. There is one on the left that is quiet big over 2.5cm ,so GP is referring me to a surgeon for biopsy because of its size and location she is unsure what type of biopsy they might do,I taught all biopsys were done with the fine needle.
    Anyway hope to get appointment for next week.

• Advertisement

For anyone that has a prescription for Armour Thyroid, I was able to order it through the Healthwave pharmacy in Dundrum, Dublin. They have an annual membership of €25 per year, and advertise lower prices than other pharmacies (I can't verify if that's the case though!).

I'm on the lowest dosage starting off and a month's supply cost me €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Has anyone here any experience with radioiodine treatment that has failed. Had it done a few months ago and blood test show its through the roof again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

MistySky wrote: »
    For anyone that has a prescription for Armour Thyroid, I was able to order it through the Healthwave pharmacy in Dundrum, Dublin. They have an annual membership of €25 per year, and advertise lower prices than other pharmacies (I can't verify if that's the case though!).

I'm on the lowest dosage starting off and a month's supply cost me €15.

That's great. Who is your endo? Not many endos in Ireland prescribe Armour.

My endo is Dr Margaret Griffin

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Is there any doctor in Limerick, or else Cork, who could do proper testing? I suspect hypothyroidism but have no proof.

I am allergic to pork so would not really try Armour, would ideally need a doc who can work with syntherit T4 *and* when necessary also T3. But at the very least I want the test and diagnosing done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Hey folks. Has any of ye ever gotten a swollen wrist as part of your thyroid problem?. I woke up at the weekend with a swollen wrist and it hasn't gone down. I didn't injure it or anything, so the only thing I can think of is that maybe its related to my underactive thyroid. I have a doctor's appointment for fri morning, so maybe it will have gone down by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I often hear about carpel tunnel syndrome being associated with Hashimotos, might it be that?

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I often hear about carpel tunnel syndrome being associated with Hashimotos, might it be that?

I read that online alright. To be honest, I've been fairly lucky up to now with the thyroid. I mean I've had the tiredness and forgetfulness but they weren't real severe. I hope the swelling isn't going to be a regular thing though. Feck it. I read that your legs and feet can swell up too. I hope to feck that this isn't the start of it:(

Thanks for getting back to me by the way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Hi, swelling does go with it at times I have Achilles tenonistist and get aches and pains in most joints, hope all goes well

redcatstar wrote: »
    Hi, swelling does go with it at times I have Achilles tenonistist and get aches and pains in most joints, hope all goes well

Cheers Red. I will be seeing the doc on fri morn, so I'll see what he says. I find that they don't seem to like when you ask questions about the thyroid though.

• Advertisement

My gp nice and really trys her best , its a shame she's not an Endo though because she listens

My gp nice and really trys her best , its a shame she's not an Endo though because she listens

At the risk of sounding like a complete fool:), if I want to see an Endo do I have to get referred by the doc. Also is it available to someone on a medical card?

The reason I ask is cos I've only ever been to the local gp about the thyroid. And they never really explained anything to me to be honest. Just told me I have to take the tablets for good now.

I've learned more on boards than I have from the doc.

Yes medical card or not ask gp to refer you to one, you might have a 6 month waiting time, you could be lucky and get a good one, but personally I haven't had much joy , but go for it make sure its on medical card though, you never know you might find a great one🌼

Yes medical card or not ask gp to refer you to one, you might have a 6 month waiting time, you could be lucky and get a good one, but personally I haven't had much joy , but go for it make sure its on medical card though, you never know you might find a great one🌼

Thanks a million. I will bring it up Friday at my appointment. I have to say, a thread like this is great. At least we can ask for help and know that we are not alone:). Thanks again. I appreciate it:)

Sorry meant to say if you haven't already , get TPO antibodies test for thyroid, also vit D , vit B12 ,, iron and very important ferrtin test all blood tests, I take iron my ferrtin very low my vit d low so on vit d3, I also take selenium and magnesium both very good, good site on fb thyroid ireland

Sorry meant to say if you haven't already , get TPO antibodies test for thyroid, also vit D , vit B12 ,, iron and very important ferrtin test all blood tests, I take iron my ferrtin very low my vit d low so on vit d3, I also take selenium and magnesium both very good, good site on fb thyroid ireland

Do I just ask the doc to get these tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hi all, im lookin for advice based on your experiences.
    I was on eltroxin a few years back but taken off it after 6 months.

Im going out of my mind. Im so so tired fatigued, brain fogged and forgetful. Im also suffering horrid joint pain and excessive like sweating & burning up.

My cholesterol is also high, im overweight but don't have the energy to do anything about it other than watch my diet.

My GP has said my last two blood tests are "borderline" one slightly over, one under.

Im due back to her Thursday. I feel like im banging my head of a brick wall.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Hi all, im lookin for advice based on your experiences.
    I was on eltroxin a few years back but taken off it after 6 months.

Im going out of my mind. Im so so tired fatigued, brain fogged and forgetful. Im also suffering horrid joint pain and excessive like sweating & burning up.

My cholesterol is also high, im overweight but don't have the energy to do anything about it other than watch my diet.

My GP has said my last two blood tests are "borderline" one slightly over, one under.

Im due back to her Thursday. I feel like im banging my head of a brick wall.

I wonder why they took you off it. I thought it was something you had to take for life. I'm on 150 Eltroxin at the moment. I'm about 12 stone, so I prob put on bout 1/2 a stone. Mostly I just have the tiredness and the forgetfulness. But as you will see from earlier posts, my wrist has started to swell. I think you will find this thread very good and the posters here are real helpful. And remember. You are not alone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I wonder why they took you off it. I thought it was something you had to take for life. I'm on 150 Eltroxin at the moment. I'm about 12 stone, so I prob put on bout 1/2 a stone. Mostly I just have the tiredness and the forgetfulness. But as you will see from earlier posts, my wrist has started to swell. I think you will find this thread very good and the posters here are real helpful. And remember. You are not alone:)

Thanks its very very frustrating! To say the least.
    I am not coming out of that GP surgery Thursday without a plan of action, I have no quality of life.

• Advertisement

handbagmad wrote: »
    Thanks its very very frustrating! To say the least.
    I am not coming out of that GP surgery Thursday without a plan of action, I have no quality of life.

I know what you mean. It can get you down alright. When I started the eltroxin I used to be full of beans for the first couple of weeks. And it felt great. But now I don't find any difference when I take it. And they actually reduced my dosage. I think my cholesterol is 6.4. So that's high too. But they haven't started me on tablets for that yet.

Would it be ok to ask you what dosage of eltroxin you were on?

Advertisement