Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux vs keylight vs fakro skylights

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Interested in people's opinions on these good or bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ive fitted all three manufacturers windows and have had no call backs on any.IMO it comes down to quality of fitting not the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

scwazrh wrote: »
    Ive fitted all three manufacturers windows and have had no call backs on any.IMO it comes down to quality of fitting not the window.

Thanks appreciate the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

My builder fitted Fakro but not sure if there was any specific reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i bought my new build with 4 No. Keylite windows (2 front and 2 rear).
    No issues so far touch wood.

i then added 2 Velux to the single storey extension at the rear a few months later, again no issues, touch wood.

IMHO, what ever is cheapist for the job you need and in the size you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Looking at this choice myself at the moment for 13 roof windows. All in all, Velux seems to be a bit more superior to Fakro, which in turn is better than Keylite.

I'm looking for a white window, so Velux is a timber window moulded into a pvc coting. Keylite is just painted. not sure about Fakro.

Costs for me worked out at keylite being 2/3 price of velux. Fakro fell somewhere between the two.

• Advertisement

What makes you say velux is superior. In what way. ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

No one has mentioned u-value/ heat loss of frame to roof insulation? Is this something you have compared?

BryanF wrote: »
    No one has mentioned u-value/ heat loss of frame to roof insulation? Is this something you have compared?

In the process of doing just that. Still waiting on the velux quote to come in.

Just from the research I've done:
    They're glazing options seem to be better, more choice and better combination of options - i.e. toughened, with clear coating and double glazing.
    They're new models now have a smaller profile, with far neater handles/mechanisms - 18% more light over older models. This seems to be far neater than the Fakro alternative.
    They're motorised option seems to be far better, with scene selection and a neater remote. They also offer good retrofit options with a solar power based option, which can easily be retrofitted. One remote can be configured to control many windows.
    Better flashing options and insulated fitment collars.
    But the main bit for me was the quality of the finish for the white interior.

Just to be clearer on the costs I have received, and I've done a lot of searching around as this is a large portion of my budget:
    4 - Non electric 780*1400 - double glazed
    4 - Electric 780*1400 - double glazed
    4 - Non electric 940*1400 - double glazed (2*2 unit)
    1 - Electric 780*980 - triple glazed
    Recessed flashings for all of above.

Velux: €8024 ex VAT
    Fakro: €6268 ex VAT
    Keylite: €6800 ex VAT

While no doubt the other options are more than capable, I don't think the difference justifies the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

tedimc wrote: »

Presume you meant Fakro were €6800 and Keylite €6268..

• Advertisement

Just from the research I've done:
    They're glazing options seem to be better, more choice and better combination of options - i.e. toughened, with clear coating and double glazing.
    They're new models now have a smaller profile, with far neater handles/mechanisms - 18% more light over older models. This seems to be far neater than the Fakro alternative.
    They're motorised option seems to be far better, with scene selection and a neater remote. They also offer good retrofit options with a solar power based option, which can easily be retrofitted. One remote can be configured to control many windows.
    Better flashing options and insulated fitment collars.
    But the main bit for me was the quality of the finish for the white interior.

Just to be clearer on the costs I have received, and I've done a lot of searching around as this is a large portion of my budget:
    4 - Non electric 780*1400 - double glazed
    4 - Electric 780*1400 - double glazed
    4 - Non electric 940*1400 - double glazed (2*2 unit)
    1 - Electric 780*980 - triple glazed
    Recessed flashings for all of above.

While no doubt the other options are more than capable, I don't think the difference justifies the risk.
    There is not enough detail to compare

No - Fakro worked out cheapest of all 3, was surprised at that myself!!

There is not enough detail to compare
    No - Fakro worked out cheapest of all 3, was surprised at that myself!!

Apples & oranges

Yes, quite true BryanF.

Looking at the U-Values of the bog standard white windows (double glazed) 780*1400 which I'm interested in, there doesn't appear to be much difference - so from that perspective, there is little to justify the difference.

Velux (M08): 1.3 W/m2K
    Fakro (07): 1.4 W/m2K
    Keylite (WFCP06T): 1.4 W/m2K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, quite true BryanF.

Looking at the U-Values of the bog standard white windows (double glazed) 780*1400 which I'm interested in, there doesn't appear to be much difference - so from that perspective, there is little to justify the difference.

Velux (M08): 1.3 W/m2K
    Fakro (07): 1.4 W/m2K
    Keylite (WFCP06T): 1.4 W/m2K

All of these window types are rubbish for thermal and airtightness. It's just a limit of physics and maintaining the opening mechanisms to be useful.

Otherwise, fit something else (fixed window), or a dormer.

Here's a thermal image showing air infiltration (as dark area) on a house under blower test.

320298.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

To be fair - I think they have all got a lot better lately with the introduction of vapour collars and insulated fitments. Of course, these are all optional extras with a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Looking for any recent experiences with roof lights

How are the Keylight performing under the test of time?
    Has the Keylight design and build quality improved in the interim.

Context: we will be looking to source the following:
    - 2 in the Kitchen area at the back - triple glazed
    - 2 in the sunroom at the side - triple glazed
    - 1 in the roof - triple glazed
    - 1 in the garage - best value one as it is just to let in light really
    Provisional BER has a requirement for a U-Value of 1.2 whereas Keylite advertise a thriple glazed U-Value of 0.6 which they say is comparable to Velux

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have my keylite and Velux installed over 10 years now. All 6 the same as the day they went in. (Touch wood).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Wegian wrote: »
    Looking for any recent experiences with roof lights

How are the Keylight performing under the test of time?
    Has the Keylight design and build quality improved in the interim.

Context: we will be looking to source the following:
    - 2 in the Kitchen area at the back - triple glazed
    - 2 in the sunroom at the side - triple glazed
    - 1 in the roof - triple glazed
    - 1 in the garage - best value one as it is just to let in light really
    Provisional BER has a requirement for a U-Value of 1.2 whereas Keylite advertise a thriple glazed U-Value of 0.6 which they say is comparable to Velux

Thoughts?

I think the difference between these on a domestic scale isn't much. They all have different options and sizes with different U values, glazing, internal finishes etc. Prices depend on the u-value and glazing you are looking for. Sometimes Keylite is the cheapest and at other times Velux is. The price for all increases a lot when you get below a U-value of 1.0. Keylite might be slighly easier to fit but over 10 years what difference does that make?

Velux do the timber finish, timber finish painted white and the white pvc so be careful not to compare the painted white to a pvc white price or similar of another product.

The only difference I find is if your going electric where the Velux is easier. The actuators are integrated and control panels better from a compatibility view. Had loads of trouble with the control panels for Keylite rooflights initially as Keylight don't supply them but once they were found and up and running didn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Keylites come with a great thermal collar now as standard, it's build into the frame and retained by tape. You pull tabs after installation that tear the tape and release the expanding foam seal. Far superior to the previous thermal collars that they used to offer and which are still in use by Velux as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement