Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much crap can a kitchen sink take?

Options
  • 06-10-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious, are these sink things necessary to stop stuff going down the drain or are the much bigger holes without them safe to have whatever **** flowing down them you want?

stainless_steel_grids_sieve-3.jpg

I use one of these because I've had trouble with a drain outside clogging but I'm half thinking it's because it's on a walkway and maybe stones and stuff are being kicked in and not because of what's going down my sink. Just curious as to whether your average sink can handle the likes of bits of rice, fruit seeds and pips and all that crap just being washed down it or should I keep using the sieve? I don't want to end up clogging it myself..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

cormie wrote: »
    Just curious, are these sink things necessary to stop stuff going down the drain or are the much bigger holes without them safe to have whatever **** flowing down them you want?

stainless_steel_grids_sieve-3.jpg

I use one of these because I've had trouble with a drain outside clogging but I'm half thinking it's because it's on a walkway and maybe stones and stuff are being kicked in and not because of what's going down my sink. Just curious as to whether your average sink can handle the likes of bits of rice, fruit seeds and pips and all that crap just being washed down it or should I keep using the sieve? I don't want to end up clogging it myself..

Your drain on the walk way is like a big U bend, simular to the trap under your sink. You need to clean the muck out of the bottom of it from time to time. Either put your hand down it and remove blockage/muck or use a sewer rod with a plunger on it and rod it like you have to do with a blocked loo.

Crap down the sink is only a small cause of the (normal) problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for that. Yeah so I guess it's other crap like pebbles and stuff building up there that would end up making it an issue for stuff getting down the sink and as long as it gets passed the U under the sink it can't be the cause of too many issues further on, although may contribute somewhat over time.

Advertisement