Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler located inside chimney?

Options
  • 05-10-2013 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am looking at buying an apartment that has the gas boiler located in the chimney above a gas inset stove fireplace (there is a removable panel in the wall to access it). I have never come across this before - it seems a bit unusual/strange or that it might cause problems? Would value any advice on if this is / is not a good idea. I am used to boilers being in more accessible places e.g. a kitchen cabinet.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

It's probably a BBU (back boiler unit). To access it, the gas fire is removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi guys

I am looking at buying an apartment that has the gas boiler located in the chimney above a gas inset stove fireplace (there is a removable panel in the wall to access it). I have never come across this before - it seems a bit unusual/strange or that it might cause problems? Would value any advice on if this is / is not a good idea. I am used to boilers being in more accessible places e.g. a kitchen cabinet.

Thanks in advance

It might be as Shane said,
    But this might explain it a bit better,what he's talking about is a gas fire with the heating boiler been part of it but its all the one appliance. Boiler for rads is behind fire. If the panel you talked about is on the side of the chimney brest then that's for axcess to the pump.
    Photo would help. Can you get one off auctioneers web site and how old is appartment.?
    Ta.

The part you said about, " boiler been above a gas stove in the chimney " is confusing though. !!

So I could be totaly wrong so that's why a photo would help.

You could ask the auctioneer to get it inspected by an RGII service engineer who will provide a cert. in relation to its legal and safe location in relation to current gas safety standards.

You are proberly talking of a service bill of about €100 or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks a million guys - a picture is attached. It is on the front of the chimney breast (you can just see the top of a picture frame at the bottom of the pic ad this is a picture that is above the fireplace if that makes sense, so I guess the boiler is about 2-3 feet above the top of the fireplace)

Thanks again :)

Thanks a million guys - a picture is attached. It is on the front of the chimney breast (you can just see the top of a picture frame at the bottom of the pic ad this is a picture that is above the fireplace if that makes sense, so I guess the boiler is about 2-3 feet above the top of the fireplace)

https://plus.google.com/photos/100450505663599562695/albums/5931395207945531201?authkey=CJPpwdPpnqaLJg

Stranger and stranger !

We need picture of stove and what ever's inside that door.pz

Thanks! Can't take a picture inside the door as I wasn't able to remove it. But was told it is where the boiler is and is accessed for servicing etc.

Here is the full set-up
    http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/econgirl/boiler_zpsa66ad2ec.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks! Can't take a picture inside the door as I wasn't able to remove it. But was told it is where the boiler is and is accessed for servicing etc.

Here is the full set-up
    http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz244/econgirl/boiler_zpsa66ad2ec.jpg

Its not what I was discribing before.

Get an RGII inspection as all gas boilers in conpartments have to have ventulation high and low on boiler for a start. + a lot of other rules and regulations.
    Not knocking what you have but a RGII gas man can tell you if its all ok.

Thanks guys will get it inspected by a professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

scudo2 wrote: »
    Its not what I was discribing before.

Get an RGII inspection as all gas boilers in conpartments have to have ventulation high and low on boiler for a start. + a lot of other rules and regulations.
    Not knocking what you have but a RGII gas man can tell you if its all ok.

Not all gas boilers need ventilation in compartments scudo!! But youre right, get an RGI to look at it

Advertisement