Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a pump to drain down to change immersion

Options
  • 02-10-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi ,I need to change an overnight immersion at bottom of tank,would those pumps attached to a drill speed up the drain down of a water cylinder,
    It takes ages for the water to drain down to the night immersion heater

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Hi ,I need to change an overnight immersion at bottom of tank,would those pumps attached to a drill speed up the drain down of a water cylinder,
    It takes ages for the water to drain down to the night immersion heater

Depends on where you attach pump.
    What type of drain point is there

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

its just a simple drain valve at the bottom of cylinder. I have done it already by connecting a garden hose but this takes a long time.

if i connected a simple pump to the hose would it 'suck' the the water out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

its just a simple drain valve at the bottom of cylinder. I have done it already by connecting a garden hose but this takes a long time.

if i connected a simple pump to the hose would it 'suck' the the water out

It would but very hard to tell how much quicker as it is still the same size hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Is it vented ? Are you turning off the supply tank feed? If the air can get in it should come out very quickly unless there is a problem with the drain valve. (they are usually rubbish and always leak when opened).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

yes it is vented . Its just to empty the cylinder when the pressure decreases as the level drops. It comes out but takes nearly 45 min to an hour.I might change the drain washer when its empty.
    Anyway , I got a pump for a tenner so will give it a bash tomorrow,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I use a long lenght of hose and run it outside the house to a much lower point. It makes its own siphon and you can usually open the drain almost all the way open. I sucks a touch of air so no water in the house and it drains handy enough as its sucking it out and not relying on tank height

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

yes it is vented . Its just to empty the cylinder when the pressure decreases as the level drops. It comes out but takes nearly 45 min to an hour.I might change the drain washer when its empty.
    Anyway , I got a pump for a tenner so will give it a bash tomorrow,

As Freddy said, drain cocks have a tendency to stick on their seating and even fully open they just drain through their washer fixing hole (5mm), once drained I would pull off the drain cock and fit a valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Lads quickest way I've found is take off the 316 or 317 (can never remember which) cut 1mtr of half plastic piping and place into cylinder to bottom, using a yellow garden hose just push onto the plex out the door and scuk on the end to syphon the water from the cyl, you'll empty a 30 x 18 in 10mins plus no drain cock pissing all overthe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

+1, yep, never bother my ass with the DC

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Haven't fitted a mt cock in years, always use a online valve even on oil and stoves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Those MT cocks are utter Sh/?e.
    On a top fitted cylinder I will usually open the immersion just enough and have the wet vac up against it.
    The combi cylinders are a bit more of a pain, but most times its the wet vac to the rescue again.

Advertisement