Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Refunds

• 20-02-2007 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been collecting all my Dublin Bus Refund tickets for a few weeks now and have about 20 odd euro's worth. I went on the Dublin Bus website today to see if there is any limit to claiming these (i.e. within a year of refund being printed). Didn't see anything about a time limit but I did read that in order to claim a refund, both the fare and refund part of the ticket must be handed in.

But what I've been doing is tearing off the fare part and keeping the refund part. Does this mean I can't claim my refunds?? Has anyone claimed refunds without the fare part of ticket?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Just go in and show them to the staff.
    Some cases of undesirables entering empty buses and printing off 50 x €1 change tickets have arises but the times and dates always give them up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

The last time I brought tickets in (about a month ago), about 1/4 of them didn't have the actual tickets attached but the girl said nothing to me. The poor guy beside me got an awful bollocking from the person serving him for the same thing though. I guess it's just luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If they want the fare bit attached why don't they print the change bit onto the end so it's say:

ADULT SINGLE (<-- different topic, but they don't do returns anyway?)
    Cash 2.00
    Cash Due 0.70

or similar - but no that would actually make it easy to comply with the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interestingly enuf Redser,that facility is indeed available.
    One of the benefits of the TGX machine is thje ability to pre-enter the amount tendered before issuing the fare ticket.
    This ensures that both Fare and Change Ticket are printed together...dead simple innit....

However,this tends to depend on the Person tendering the Overpayment actually making it obvious to the driver that they are tendering a €2 coin or whatever.

The usual and generally perfectly acceptable method of paying cash fare is for the Passenger to say €1 or €1.40 or whatever....Most Drivers will accept that that is the amount being tendered.
    Now it may well be 88c or €1.26 and a few flat washers but Most drivers will not resort to carrying out a close visiual inspection of the contents and will thus simply issue the fare-value requested.

The Problems arise...and BOY do they....when a pax ASKS for a fare such as €1.40 whilst dropping €1.50 into the vault.
    Once the Driver hits the fare button the money drops,but instead of taking the ticket and moving on the vexatious customer tends to draw themselves erect and make some exhortation along the lines of....."What about My Change then ? " or "Are You Not giving any change "

It is of course perfectly possible for a clean living and righteous Driver to count Each and EVERY cash amount and this would remove all the current wailing and gnashing of teef over the supposed conspiracy to deprive people of their change.

The collorary of this of course is that if a Driver counts one persons amount then EVERYBODY else must get the same treatment.
    At a guess this would add at least 25% IMMEDIATELY to the present ridiciously elongated dwell times but of course it would satisfy the needs of those small percentage of customers who desire Personal Service from a Mass Transit System.

Quite possibly the very worst example in the Universe of this Mad Dwell Time scenario can be seen each and every day at the Northbound 16A Stop in O Connell St.
    Dwell times of up to 7 mins are not unusual here thanks to a stark refusal of DB to recognize a problem and DO something about it.

The Change Ticket pahlavah threatens to spread this type of occurrence to other routes also unless it`s nipped in the Bud.....

Ah well..lets move on to what special arrangements are Dublin Bus going to put in place for next Saturdays event in Croker.......???? :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does any charity take them ?

• Advertisement

Good Point Cap`n.

ALL of the major Dublin Based Charities will accept DB change scrip either singly or,preferably,in bulk.
    Concern.
    St V de P.
    ALONE.
    Trocaire,and several smaller charities will be happy to recieve the damn things and use them for charitable works.

In the immediate aftermath of the Euro Change over Dublin Bus suspended change ticket issue and instead made a donation to a basket of Charities equivalent to the average Change Ticket amount for that month.
    Instead of formalizing and building on that system we saw a return to the status-quo pretty damn quickly.

I`m of the opinion that it is yet another example of our native reluctance to embrace the concept of "The Greater or Common Good"
    Instead we harbour a strong belief that each and every INDIVIDUAL has the right to seek the Full Fulfillment of THEIR desires even if that materially detracts from the level of service available to the "Rabble"......:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

I've only ever brought the refunds in, never with the ticket. I've had no problems getting a refund yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sophie.sperner

Dear,

I'm looking for an office in the Dublin centre, where it is possible to refund a bunch of my Dublin bus tickets.

Could you please tell me the direction?

Thank you in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Dear,

I'm looking for an office in the Dublin centre, where it is possible to refund a bunch of my Dublin bus tickets.

Could you please tell me the direction?

Thank you in advance.
    59 Upper O’Connell Street,
    Dublin 1,
    about 100 yards past henry street going towards parnell square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

do you reckon they'd still accept those receipts with refunds due in £ punts, or is that a long shot? I have a whole load I never got around to cashing in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,552 ✭✭✭✭L1011

phonypony wrote: »
    do you reckon they'd still accept those receipts with refunds due in £ punts, or is that a long shot? I have a whole load I never got around to cashing in...

Yes. There is absolutely no time limit, I dropped in a few pounds worth I found lying at home, almost illegible at this stage but still changed.

Make a point of telling them they're pence as otherwise you'll get the pence amount in cents rather than converted to Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I`m of the opinion that it is yet another example of our native reluctance to embrace the concept of "The Greater or Common Good"
    Instead we harbour a strong belief that each and every INDIVIDUAL has the right to seek the Full Fulfillment of THEIR desires even if that materially detracts from the level of service available to the "Rabble"......:rolleyes:

Your employer doesn't make it easy for their customers to figure out the price of their fare ahead of time, by removing their stage markers, or previously not being able to tell outer suburban passengers the fare unless a lengthy phone call was made during business hours...

I appreciate your employer has treated your suggestions with as much courtesy as their customers during the years, and don't provide a method to prepay the lower fares unlike in earlier times when the 2/10 journey prepaid tickets were available.

Your employer doesn't make it easy for their customers to figure out the price of their fare ahead of time, by removing their stage markers, or previously not being able to tell outer suburban passengers the fare unless a lengthy phone call was made during business hours...

I appreciate your employer has treated your suggestions with as much courtesy as their customers during the years, and don't provide a method to prepay the lower fares unlike in earlier times when the 2/10 journey prepaid tickets were available.

FIVE years later..... !!

What my employer does is strictly a matter for themselves...but I agree with your point re the pre-payment option for Lower Fare units..

Only problem was the old style 10 Journey mag-stripe and previous tickets were astoundingly well subscribed by many customers who managed to stretch those ten journeys well into three figure territory.......sigh...the good old days :D:D:D

IF we are forced to retain the old DUTC Fare-Stage methodology,then it should at least be operated to the standards of the DUTC,which includes identifying the specific Fare-Stages for the customer...oops..passenger...(The DUTC did'nt really have a Public Relations Dept ) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Why not get a Leap Card ? It does away with the need for exact change and cashing in refunds. And the fares are cheaper too. I have been using one since last December and find it great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why not get a Leap Card ? It does away with the need for exact change and cashing in refunds. And the fares are cheaper too. I have been using one since last December and find it great.

Overcharging can still occur with the LeapCard, also requiring the refund to be done in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I have a heap of these scrunched up at home. Some of them are kinda faded.

Do they have to be in neatly in order?
    Am I expected to have them counted and totted up before going in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Geog1234

Have only ever had a small number myself but would say that they don't need to be in chronological order but would suggest unfolding and making them as flat as possible and possibly putting similar amounts together e.g. all tickets due an 85c refund in one pile etc etc...

Probably no need to tot them up either but for personal reference might be handy to know precise amount you'll be getting.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement