Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request stops

Options
  • 01-10-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

After seeing it in the UK I always thought request stops were a good idea, if nothing because they save fuel (train doesn't come to a full stop) and they prevent the influx of cold air during the winter.

I would, off peak, think that Ashtown, Broombridge and Navan Road Park way should be request stops only. I'm sure there are other stops too on the wider network like Adamstown (used it twice, only passenger both times).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that Irish suburban trains are driver only that would be rather difficult to operate.

UK trains have a second staff member, i.e. the conductor, who operates the doors, and informs the driver if a stop is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Anything's possible if there's a will to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I'd rather there was a connecting bus network which ensured those stops always had some trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There are bus stops quite close to all them stops, plus they are on the doorstep of large housing areas.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    There are bus stops quite close to all them stops, plus they are on the doorstep of large housing areas.

Not for feeder buses though.

• Advertisement

Feeder buses to and from where?

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Feeder buses to and from where?

I gather dowlingm was expressing a preference for having buses deliver people to the stations I named, rather than have the minuscule levels of patronage as things currently stand.

Having a bus stop at a station in Dublin usually means there is a competing Dublin bus, not a complimentary one.

E.g. the 25B provides a far superior service to/from Adamstown Station than the train does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

n97 mini wrote: »
    I gather dowlingm was expressing a preference for having buses deliver people to the stations I named, rather than have the minuscule levels of patronage as things currently stand.

Having a bus stop at a station in Dublin usually means there is a competing Dublin bus, not a complimentary one.

E.g. the 25B provides a far superior service to/from Adamstown Station than the train does.

Less than 15 mins to Heuston Bridge from South Lucan? That's one remarkable bus.

No feeder buses needed when they are within walking distance and close to the nearest bus stop.

Ashtown for one is busy enough with the locals on foot. Where do you want these shuttle buses to shuttle people from?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Less than 15 mins to Heuston Bridge from South Lucan? That's one remarkable bus.

15 minutes from the very far corner of Adamstown to the outskirts of the city centre. I would say the 25B to O'Connell bridge would be competitive, especially after 9pm on a Sunday ;)

(OT, point is no-one gets the 25B to the station to get the train)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

What difference would it make – timetables would have to build in a stop so the train would just have to go slower to the next station if it didn’t stop. Otherwise there would be plenty of threads on here about trains leaving early without passengers.

AlanG wrote: »
    What difference would it make – timetables would have to build in a stop so the train would just have to go slower to the next station if it didn’t stop. Otherwise there would be plenty of threads on here about trains leaving early without passengers.
    if nothing because they save fuel (train doesn't come to a full stop) and they prevent the influx of cold air during the winter.

They must have some reason for doing them in other countries, or do we know better than everyone else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_stop

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

n97 mini wrote: »
    They must have some reason for doing them in other countries, or do we know better than everyone else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_stop

7 countries, overall on a limited amount of services... Hong Kong just on a tramway? In Canada on what appears to be rural stations? In the US the examples seem to mainly include flag stops only served by a service which just runs three times a week? And the least said about my experience of railway in the Czech Republic the better!

Hardly everybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Broombridge should get busier post Line D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a good idea in theory but probably would only work for small rural stations, should have been tried in the 60s with some of the now closed stations before closure along with de-staffing them maybe? better then nothing

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

a good idea in theory but probably would only work for small rural stations, should have been tried in the 60s with some of the now closed stations before closure along with de-staffing them maybe? better then nothing

The GNR had some request stops on branch lines over the years as did many of the narrow gauge lines.

Advertisement