Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore train station - travel pass?

Options
  • 30-09-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to travel to Dublin next week and want to travel from the new oranmore station. The problem I have is, I have a Disability travel pass but I gather that there's no booth at which to display my pass and exchange it for a regular ticket?

Will I encounter any problems if I just get on the train and have to show my travel pass to any inspector I may encounter?

Sorry for all the noob questions, it will be my first time getting the train using the pass and using the oranmore station :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you buy the ticket online and show it along with your pass on the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

biko wrote: »
    Can you buy the ticket online and show it along with your pass on the train?

You can, I think, reserve a seat online at €3 per leg, without purchasing a ticket. A machine at a station will print out the seat reservations. However, these are your seat reservations, not your ticket. IE are very specific about every passenger needing a ticket, getting fined etc. The FTP ( free travel pass) qualifies you for a free ticket, but a vending machine can't issue a free ticket, only a clerk can. That is a problem for a person with a disability and a FTP if there is no person on duty to issue a ticket.

I know of a disabled person and their Carer who had this problem recently with IR. They wanted to travel one Saturday, so they went to their station on the Wednesday, to avoid the hassle, to get tickets in advance using the valid FTP. The clerk refused, saying that for all he knew, they could give their free tickets to their friends to use on Saturday! He said come back on Saturday and he would issue the tickets then. So, they came back on the Saturday to duly present their FTP. The ticket office was closed, despite the displayed opening hours, and a notice saying use the vending machine stuck on the window inside. The clerk didn't exactly go the extra mile there, did he?

I strongly suggest that the OP ring IR for advice prior to travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If the booking office is closed then you just get on the train and show your pass if asked for a ticket by an inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Moyglish wrote: »
    Hi all,

I need to travel to Dublin next week and want to travel from the new oranmore station. The problem I have is, I have a Disability travel pass but I gather that there's no booth at which to display my pass and exchange it for a regular ticket?

Will I encounter any problems if I just get on the train and have to show my travel pass to any inspector I may encounter?

Sorry for all the noob questions, it will be my first time getting the train using the pass and using the oranmore station :o

You do not need to buy a ticket or indeed reserve a seat, just board the train as if you had a ticket and if challenged by a ticket checker or RPU agent tell them where you boarded and state that there was no staff there to give you a ticket for the journey.

Advertisement