Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tel Aviv Race Riots

• 29-05-2012 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

I don't know what irony is, but if I was to manage a guess, this might sum it up, am I right? It's hilarious in a way though, country set up to escape tyranny and prejudice and now it's come full circle...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/29/levinsky-park-migrants-tel-aviv

mod edit: Title changed to be a little less inflammatory

Also, a note to everyone, let's try not to turn this into the usual pro/anti Israel thread that we normally get. I know I'm asking a lot, but let's be civil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Israel is an apartheid state. I really feel sorry for the honest Jews who were hoodwinked into moving there by the Zionist movement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

So should they just let whoever wants to, just stroll into the country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Dr.Strange wrote: »

They should keep xenophobic comments out of their parliament and take asylum seekers seriously like every other civilised country, for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dr.Strange wrote: »

You know generally theres a compromise between 'keep them all out' and 'let them all in'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the world is in turmoil through immigration........israel is just a scratch on the surface.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

While, there are similar racist groups here in Europe, the fact that main stream parties were in on this as well, is what make this so bad.

There is also multiple levels of irony in regard to Israels treatment of Asylum seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

the world is in turmoil through immigration.........

The Quintillian mass migration from Sector 7 of the Orion constellation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Some orthodox Israeli Jews are racist against other Israeli Jews for not being Jewish enough. Quite a peculiar place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't know what irony is, but if I was to manage a guess, this might sum it up, am I right? It's hilarious in a way though, country set up to escape tyranny and prejudice and now it's come full circle...

Not really, it was set up as it has carried on. Only escaping tyrnanny and persecution by becoming the tyrants and persecutors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

wes wrote: »
    While, there are similar racist groups here in Europe, the fact that main stream parties were in on this as well, is what make this so bad.

There is also multiple levels of irony in regard to Israels treatment of Asylum seekers.

yes, many palestinians would like to be granted asylum....back to their own homes......

• Advertisement

yes, many palestinians would like to be granted asylum....back to their own homes......

As I said multiple levels of irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Who really cares

old_aussie wrote: »
    Who really cares

Well lets just leave them out in boats, sure isn't it your national pasttime :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

how many posts will it take for the israeli bots to come in and talk about how great the place is??

how many posts will it take for the israeli bots to come in and talk about how great the place is??

It takes a few minutes for the JID to register this post and send in the apologists.

If it's so fecking terrible why are these people desperate to get in? Two sides.

"Arabs in the knesset" in 5,4,3,2.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Whatever about the gangs of racists, you'd probably get that in any city in the world, but politicians jumping on the band wagon?

Netenyahoooo is a fuckin asshole.

I guess that makes me anti-Semitic does it? Yeah?
    Get ****ed.

prinz wrote: »
    If it's so fecking terrible why are these people desperate to get in? Two sides.

....they aren't coming from the south of France you know. All things are relative.

Whatever about the gangs of racists, you'd probably get that in any city in the world, but politicians jumping on the band wagon?

You get that plenty of places too. Italy and Hungary being two that immediately spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i think you misunderstood me, there's a group that have showed up on boards.ie before that lambast every anti-israeli thread. i think they're a group of students in tel aviv. can't find the link though, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I watched "the great book theft" recently. Those pesky Palestinians sure knew how to build nice houses! I wouldn't blame them for trying to get back into them.

You get that plenty of places too. Italy and Hungry being two that immediately spring to mind.

I know but isn't it a shame that a people who were treated so badly in Europe, are now adopting some of the attitudes of their previous persecutors?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Nodin wrote: »
    You know generally theres a compromise between 'keep them all out' and 'let them all in'.

Ah OK, so they should let 'some' of the the illegal immigrants stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Think about Catholic schools in Ireland and how insanely pro-Republican, anti-British and pro-IRA they were for years. Lots of us went through that system; The Irish never did any wrong, the British came in and oppressed us for 800 years and then starting shooting in Croke Park, blah blah bleurgh.

Now imagine you're in Israel. And rather than it being the British who oppressed you, it's almost every other country in the world. And not for 800 years, but for 5,000.
    And rather than the fighting being in Northern Ireland, you're surrounded by countries who you're told want to murder and destroy you, today. Then when you leave school you spend a mandatory year in the army where love for your country and xenophobic fear is pushed into you at every opportunity in order to make you a more patriotic fighter.

Israel is an understandably xenophobic state, given that the country was invented into existence by simply removing people from their homes and slotting in foreigners.
    If I had built my home by demolishing other peoples' and then taking big chunks of their land, I would be very suspicious of anyone I saw on my land too.

Yes, it's stuff you might see in other countries. I'm not exactly sure why people are surprised that it's happened in Israel. If there's any country who knows how to do prejudicial hate, it's Israel.

I know but isn't it a shame that a people who were treated so badly in Europe, are now adopting some of the attitudes of their previous persecutors?

You mean like basically every nationality at one time or another? You think it's a suprise that the far right skinhead brigade is gaining a lot of ground in the very places that suffered most from right-wing fascism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You get that plenty of places too.

Shouldn't Israeli politicians know better though? I mean, Israel likes to portray itself as the freest democratic state in the M.E. and meanwhile you have politicians describing immigrants with emotive terms such as 'infiltrators'.

You mean like basically every nationality at one time or another?

Yes I just think it's rich coming from the Jews is all

seamus wrote: »
    Think about Catholic schools in Ireland and how insanely pro-Republican, anti-British and pro-IRA they were for years. Lots of us went through that system; The Irish never did any wrong, the British came in and oppressed us for 800 years and then starting shooting in Croke Park, blah blah bleurgh.

Now imagine you're in Israel. And rather than it being the British who oppressed you, it's almost every other country in the world. And not for 800 years, but for 5,000.
    And rather than the fighting being in Northern Ireland, you're surrounded by countries who you're told want to murder and destroy you, today. Then when you leave school you spend a mandatory year in the army where love for your country and xenophobic fear is pushed into you at every opportunity in order to make you a more patriotic fighter.

Israel is an understandably xenophobic state, given that the country was invented into existence by simply removing people from their homes and slotting in foreigners.
    If I had built my home by demolishing other peoples' and then taking big chunks of their land, I would be very suspicious of anyone I saw on my land too.

Yes, it's stuff you might see in other countries. I'm not exactly sure why people are surprised that it's happened in Israel. If there's any country who knows how to do prejudicial hate, it's Israel.

They are racist to Ethiopian jews in Israel too, though. not just these migrants. They just want to pick and chose what Jews get in, European decent or better still, Right wing American Zionists.

• Advertisement

Jews or Israelis? ....and you're singling them out for special attention because...? Don't get me wrong, there's many of them so wrapped up in themselves they can't see the irony in acting like bullies but they're hardly unique in going from persecuted to persecutor. The Irish are hardly saints in this regard either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Tough break-up was it?

And Israeli Arabs were involved in the protests too.

brimal wrote: »

Now THAT's irony.

Tough break-up was it?

And Israeli Arabs were involved in the protests too.

Jesus, are you stalking me? **shudder**. Anyway this is the first I've heard of their treatment of immigrants, I just think they'd have known better than to treat people like this given what they've been through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RichieC wrote: »
    They are racist to Ethiopian jews in Israel too, though. not just these migrants. They just want to pick and chose what Jews get in, European decent or better still, Right wing American Zionists.
    Well, it's not really a whole lot to do with Judaism. When you're told that half of the world is against you and looking to kill you, then you will naturally gravitate to people who look most like you and share the most culture with you.
    Becoming more xenophobic makes a population less specific about those they dislike and more specific about those they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Jesus, are you stalking me? **shudder**. Anyway this is the first I've heard of their treatment of immigrants, I just think they'd have known better than to treat people like this given what they've been through.

That's a pretty weak rebuttal.

What about the Israeli Arabs who were involved in the protests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

RichieC wrote: »
    Hardly the Aussies anyway, racist bastards themselves.

How good that your comment showed that your attitude is much better than his ;)

First I heard of it. Do you have a link?!?

I don't get it, I am talking about racism in Israel, their political stances have been done to death.

I don't get it, I am talking about racism in Israel....

Some Israelis are racist. Others aren't. Shocking.

Some Israelis are racist. Others aren't. Shocking.

Yes I think it's shocking that they wont allow anyone but their own settle there up to a parliamentary level

• Advertisement

...they'd be a bunch of racists with no sense of irony as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

RichieC banned for 3 days. There's no need to sling accusations at other users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sounds like the Plantations up north.

It looks as these migrants are Muslim, I wonder if they were Jewish would they be more 'acceptable' to Israel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"We're not as bad as Saudi Arabia, so keep turning a blind eye to our human rights abuses....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'm in no way condoning these actions, but always find it unusual that Israel appears to be held-up to a level of scrutiny around here that other countries don't. I didn't see a thread being started about the over 3000 human rights abuse cases that Amnesty International reported as taking place in Cuba last year, or the massacres taking place in Uganda each day, or the continuing government oppression of freedom movements in Laos and Vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'm in no way condoning these actions, but always find it unusual that Israel appears to be held-up to a level of scrutiny around here that other countries don't. I didn't see a thread being started about the over 3000 human rights abuse cases that Amnesty International reported as taking place in Cuba last year, or the massacres taking place in Uganda each day, or the continuing government oppression of freedom movements in Laos and Vietnam.

Probably because of Israel's constant lies that it is a democracy and a beacon of light in the Middle East.

I have yet to see any of those places claims to be beacons of democracy on a regular basis, and claiming to have the most "moral" military in the world. Israel has a habit of claiming to be better than everyone else, and then complaining when people hold them to that standard.

The middle east, being a massive oil source, tends to draw attention. One might say the same about Syria at the moment.

I agree, But i think its more of a fact what they do behind the scene's and not are who they say they are.

Israel is alot like Kim Kardashian, they portray an air of sophistication, but are a cold calculating whore with an eye for world domination.

I agree, But i think its more of a fact what they do behind the scene's and not are who they say they are.

Israel is alot like Kim Kardashian, they portray an air of sophistication, but are a cold calculating whore with an eye for world domination.

Well, one may say many things about Ms Kardashian, but she couldn't be accused of racism.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement