Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a cheap portable hard drive?

Options
  • 26-12-2011 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for a cheap external hard drive. Ideally something with 500 GB and for around 60 euro. Any idea which stores might have cheap hard drives??

Ive heard a lot of nonsense about a shortage of electronics because of floods in some Asian country... Is that actually legit? because prices seems to have gone way up since I bought my own portable hard drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Its true.prices are through the roof.try elara.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

pcworld, powercity, maplins, easons, probably wont be much between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

500GB portable hard drives cant be found for under 90 euro in shops at the min. I ended up ordering one off pixmania for 69 euro before shipping.

But I'm just really annoyed. I got a 500 GB verbatim about this time last year and it cost me less than 60 euro. The cheapest price I found for this same hard drive is 73 euro. How can they justify putting up prices so much??

Thanks for all your advice. Id never heard of elara before but it was 50% more expensive than pixmania...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,843 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes flooding in Thailand. It is legit. The region is a primary producer of components used in HDDs and without them supply of drives has fallen short of demand, driving prices up and in most cases limit purchases to 1 unit per customer to prevent squirreling prior to the price increases.

Flash Memory production was unaffected (Memory Cards, Thumb Drives, RAM, SSDs) however the demand for them has gone up as well because regular hard drives have become so much more expensive. Blank media (Discs) seem unaffected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

sugarman wrote: »
    Easons, seagate/maxtor/iomega 500gb drives for 60-70, wont find them cheaper anywhere else at the moment.. 1tb versions for 90-100:D

Sugarman, I hate you!!! Never taut of eason at all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

It's now May. Production has resumed, but prices are still inflated. Anyone know of any good bargains currently??

Even if output matches pre-flooding levels it'll take a while for inventory to catch up as well as matching the backlog of demand and lost R+D time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Looking for an external hard drive 1- 2 tb portable, are the ones in Argos any good- at the moment they have Toshiba Store Plus 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black for 95.99. Seems like a good price but its excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee? Anybody bought one of these and found them good/ bad?? Anywhere else i could get one? All advice greatly appreciated! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

koriko wrote: »
    Looking for an external hard drive 1- 2 tb portable, are the ones in Argos any good- at the moment they have Toshiba Store Plus 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black for 95.99. Seems like a good price but its excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee? Anybody bought one of these and found them good/ bad?? Anywhere else i could get one? All advice greatly appreciated! thanks

Try Amazon type in what make your looking at and see if it has any reviews.

I have a touro 1tb was cheap on Amazon and good write rates on usb3

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dzaster99

pixmania.ie great site u should have a look cheap too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Streets_of Rage 2 Come_On

1 Terabyte - amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B008PABFX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417912385&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+m3

2 Terabyte - amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B00FZU9JYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417912385&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+m3

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Please don't bump old threads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement