Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Houses

Options
  • 12-10-2009 9:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Passed a couple of them on my way to work, people standing outside them smoking etc. Who the hell drinks at this hour on a Monday morning? They didn't look like they've been up all night on benders either. I've never been to one, anyone had any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

There are people who work weird shifts that like to head in for a pint if they've been working all weekend or whatever.

But probably just alchos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The Monday Club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

They were drinking? :eek:
    Personally, I`ve just finished my cornflakes and tea and booze isn`t really on my breakfast menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they are truly Kings amongst men

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It could be people who have just finished a night shift and fancied a few pints after work.

That was the original reason, and thats why you used to get them around the docks as they services the workmen from the boats who worked long shifts at odd times. I do however notice its getting more common since Stephen arrived

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Quazzie wrote: »
    I do however notice its getting more common since Stephen arrived

who? didn't he die yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    who? didn't he die yesterday?

They`ll need that drink all the more, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I pass one everyday on the way to college and theres always the same few old guys standing outside. Jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

Passed a couple of them on my way to work, people standing outside them smoking etc. Who the hell drinks at this hour on a Monday morning? They didn't look like they've been up all night on benders either. I've never been to one, anyone had any experiences?

I can't believe it - people drinking!!!

People on odd shifts fancy a pint, i'm sure.

I occasionally get the urge to go to an early house. Its usually at 4 am when nowhere else is open and i convince myself and my friends to wait around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It might be time to organise a beers to take place at one of these fine establishments some Monday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It might be time to organise a beers to take place at one of these fine establishments some Monday morning.

the seediness is appealing to me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I assure you it will be a classy outing.

not rly tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead's been down this road before. Inside the early house there's a heightened sense of giddiness and after a few pints the drunken effects tend to kick in a lot quicker compared to drinking in the evening time.

You leave the pub in a daze and when you hit the pavement you notice that all isn't as it should be. For starters it's bright outside and worse still all the people who are walking alongside you are STONE COLD SOBER.

That's when the paranoia kicks in. Pighead has never worn a revealing low cut top and micro mini black skirt with stockings combination out in public but he's guessing if he did do so he'd have similar feelings of "Oh fcuk, everybody is looking at me right now" And everybody is looking at you. The woman look on in disgust whilst the men are slightly envious.

You keep your head down and head home by the back streets away from the glare of a disapproving society who can't come to terms with the fact that Pighead likes to dress up as a girl have an early morning pint.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm guilty of frequenting such places on occasion in the past, never on a Monday though, not that 'die hard' lol.. Slattery's on (I think) Capel Street? used to be a great spot if you had an all nighter, Saturday morning in there used to be great.. You'd walk in off the street at 8am or so and feel like you had just walked back into Friday night, place used to be packed and a DJ playing till about 12pm... The White Horse on the Quays was another great spot.. I've grown out of all that stuff now of course.. but the memories live on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I also have been known to frequent some of these early morning drinking establishments.

The White Horse, The Chancery, Slatterys among others.

All I can say is that it's an experience.I found them good craic apart from the White Horse which was just a dark den for every drug dealer in the country mixed with a few screaming queens.Fucking horrible atmosphere in the place, full of nasty people I thought..

The Chancery was a wild auld spot, good craic indeed.Was in there one Saturday morning about 7 years ago and "The Slate" were doing a piece on early houses, asking a load of madoutofits for their opinions on the place, then taking photos of them all.It made for a good article indeed!!

If I recall correctly there was some dolly off Brookside in there that morning out of her box aswell, ah good times..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wonder what the wimmenz are like in these Early Houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That_Guy wrote: »
    Wonder what the wimmenz are like in these Early Houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Been in as early as 7 in Dublin once. Was a bit mad. These thays I might head out on a Sunday at 10:30 to 11. Out for a few then home and maybe back out that night. Usually stay in though after having one too many of a Sunday afternoon!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I used to work nights and finish at 7am. A few of us that worked nights in hotels used to meet up in the morning for a few beers after our shift. You can hardly expect people like that to go for pints before their shift.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Gargle Hoorah.

Pubs should never close goddammit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Ah I used to love going to the Chancery on a Sat morning after a fri night out and a party. Met some great people on those early morning sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

went to the white horse one weekend bout 2 years ago.that was an experience! it was more a club than a pub.if you wanted a bender that was the place.

where are the early houses these days???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

df1985 wrote: »
    went to the white horse one weekend bout 2 years ago.that was an experience! it was more a club than a pub.if you wanted a bender that was the place.

where are the early houses these days???

There's two of em on capel st that i know of..The Boar's Head and Slattery's.
    I used to live around the corner on Mary's Abbey and about 15 years ago i had to go into the boar's head to ring in sick for work(i hadnt got a phone then)..anyway,its about 8.45 in the morning and right beside the phone at the bar is a bloke from work breakfasting on Guiness before heading in!
    We both pretended we didnt see each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

xzanti wrote: »
    Slattery's on (I think) Capel Street? used to be a great spot if you had an all nighter, Saturday morning in there used to be great.. You'd walk in off the street at 8am or so and feel like you had just walked back into Friday night, place used to be packed and a DJ playing till about 12pm... The White Horse on the Quays was another great spot.. I've grown out of all that stuff now of course.. but the memories live on :D

Oul Slat's & The White Horse - the memories! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

seahorse wrote: »
    Oul Slat's & The White Horse - the memories! :D

The white horse thats like an early disco was in there once O.M.G

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Was in the White Horse a few times years ago, crazy spot.

Dunphy was there one morning bombed out of his nut. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

I remember looking at photos on the net one day off the white horse the state of everyone !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I've been to The White Horse and The Chancery, i was pretty fukd on both occasions there was a drink taking and a narcotic or two and it was all really magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Who the hell drinks at this hour on a Monday morning?

I was working night shifts (finishing at 8 a.m.) a few years back and used to call in to one for an after work pint. Great places.

Advertisement