Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

divorce

Options
  • 12-11-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I am looking to divorce my husband after a 10 yr separation. We had a legal separation and I'm hoping that the divorce will be straight forward but i feel he will contest it. He is a controlling man and although he knows i would never go back to him, I'm afraid that he will do anything to make things difficult for me. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get a solicitor. Conduct everything through him, and do not talk to your ex. That's the only thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭G&T22

My advice would be just go for it! You cannot be denied your divorce. You cannot mind read or have a crystal ball into how things will turn out. This was my advice for myself and I had also a unpredictable ex and was surprised that he did not contest and it has all gone smoothly so far. Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

If you have a legal separation in place for ten years then divorce will be a formality. However, consult a solicitor who can advise you on what payments/assets you could potentially look for before you finally part ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

At the moment the only person making things difficult and denying you the divorce is you yourself by inaction- that's the harsh reality. Worry will not solve anything - action will.

As others have said employ a solicitor and conduct things through those channels . You are lucky and as has been said - you have an agreement in place presumably without major hassle for ten years therefore it would be extremely difficult for your ex to reopen negotiations. Go for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 susan47

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm working on it at present.☺☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement