Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why

Options
  • 20-10-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

going through FMS and near agreement with my spouse. should you always legalise agreement. what are the advantages/disadvantages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

vincent1 wrote: »
    going through FMS and near agreement with my spouse. should you always legalise agreement. what are the advantages/disadvantages.

Are you the donor or recipient of spousal or child maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

Surely it is so both parties have to abide by what is agreed in mediation. As such the mediation agreement is not worth the paper it's written on. It is not a legal document.

As desbrook says, if access and maintenance are included it is better to have them formalised.
    Also if you have any other special T&C's agreed. I don't think it costs much to get it drawn up legally once everything is agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Surely it is so both parties have to abide by what is agreed in mediation. As such the mediation agreement is not worth the paper it's written on. It is not a legal document.

As desbrook says, if access and maintenance are included it is better to have them formalised.
    Also if you have any other special T&C's agreed. I don't think it costs much to get it drawn up legally once everything is agreed.

Just to clarify - I just wanted to know if the OP was a donor or recipient of maintenance. There are different pro's and cons depending on which you are. I didn't say it was always better to formalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

desbrook wrote: »
    Just to clarify - I just wanted to know if the OP was a donor or recipient of maintenance. There are different pro's and cons depending on which you are. I didn't say it was always better to formalise.

Apologies, I didn't mean to twist your point so to speak. My original comment is my opinion on the subject.

Advertisement