Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking on buses

• 15-10-2012 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Do people still do this in Ireland/Dublin? It was very common when I was younger, and the drivers can't really do anything as they'd get stick and maybe attacked. Does it still go on? I remember every morning on the 27, smell of hash from the scumbags down the back, eeeuuuugh.
    It's the only place in the world I've seen this happen by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It was very common when you were younger as it was probably legal then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Smoking is banned on buses. Has been for a long time. It's classed as a workplace, so you have to go ourside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Heroin on the bus is more common these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Haven't seen smoking on buses in 20 years, must be just a jackeen thing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They used have smoking carriages on trains back in the day.

You could barely walk in without passing out from the smell of unfiltered fags.

I find all manner of things infuriating on buses. Generally anything involving travelling with others sucks balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

There are certain buses that seem to see more smoking than others. I used to hate getting stuck upstairs on the 27 heading out of town. There would be a cloud forming by the time it hit Coolock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Not so long ago you could smoke on a plane :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not that uncommon on Dublin Bus, usually its a junkie/knacker up the back of the bus or drunk people on the last bus into town for the night.

Never seen a Bus Driver do anything, all they do is play that silly announcement over and over.

Why is it the only place where it's accepted though? Bus driver would go nuts, as would the passengers, if it happened in London for e.g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Smoking was banned from buses in general in the late 80s afaik. I remember smoking on trains end of the 90s, not sure when they stopped it altogether.
    Or do you mean illegal smoking by Dublin scumbags on Dublin buses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

biko wrote: »
    Smoking was banned from buses in general in the late 80s.
    Or do you mean illegal smoking by Dublin scumbags on Dublin buses?

Well not sure if it's exclusively a Dublin thing, but yeah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People have no manners.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

depends on the bus route and the time you are on the bus but its quite rare now to see people smoking on the bus in my experince of late

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Merkin wrote: »
    The airlines banned smoking because it meant they could could use less fresh air from the compressors and recirculate more of the stale air.

This saves fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Merkin wrote: »

Smokes on a plane. Sure that was on the box last night ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

darlett wrote: »
    Smokes on a plane. Sure that was on the box last night ;)

Muthafupping smokes on the Muthafupping plane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nothing like a massive spliff and a can down the back of the bus on me way down to collect me dole entitlements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It happens occasionally but I would say less thna it used to. Even when I smoked, I always thought it was fairly manky. Though I think I smoked a couple of times on the Nitelink when I was about 18 :o

I use e-cigs now, and if I'm having a few drinks and heading somewhere, I'll often use that on a bus. Still feel sketchy in case the driver comes up to shout at me, not realising it's only vapour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I definitely think it's less common nowadays. I very rarely get on a bus where someone's smoking, but back in the mid 90s there was always smoking on the buses when I was on one (which might have had something to do with me occasionally smoking on them) - and these weren't your 27 or 77A bus routes either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It still happens the odd time, is increasingly rare now thankfully. I have seen bus drivers head upstairs and toss the culprit off the bus though. Probably not the safest thing to be doing really, so I'm sure they're all advised not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

It still happens the odd time, is increasingly rare now thankfully. I have seen bus drivers head upstairs and toss the culprit off the bus though. Probably not the safest thing to be doing really, so I'm sure they're all advised not to.

Yeah, not a chance I'd do that if I was a bus driver. In my day (god, I feel so old writing that) it was more often just a bunch of kids thinking they were being incredibly rebellious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement