Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/tralee-bypass-officially-opened-during-rose-festival-1.1496632

I'm not sure if building the Traleee bypass was the wisest use of 30% of the total road-building budget for 2011.

Poorly researched article. The roads budget for 2011 was €1.2b which had €720m set aside for road building. Plus the contractor would have been paid over the course of the contract. They wouldn't have gotten €97m up front. http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=266

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Poorly researched article. The roads budget for 2011 was €1.2b which had €720m set aside for road building. Plus the contractor would have been paid over the course of the contract. They wouldn't have gotten €97m up front. http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=266

Even then the total cost is budgeted over 20-30 years, so it's going to be on the budget as a 3m-4m expense for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

This is probably a stupid question and may have been answered before, but I'm going to ask it anyway. The new road links 5 of the 6 national routes around Tralee. What's the 6th? Is it the Dingle Road? and why isn't it linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

sonnyblack wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question and may have been answered before, but I'm going to ask it anyway. The new road links 5 of the 6 national routes around Tralee. What's the 6th? Is it the Dingle Road? and why isn't it linked.

Lack of demand i guess? Although you could say the same about the bypass itself when compared with higher priority routes (cough Adare jammed on opening day)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lack of demand i guess? Although you could say the same about the bypass itself when compared with higher priority routes (cough Adare jammed on opening day)

Totally agree. While Tralee is a necessary and useful scheme but lord adare and newcastleswest bypssses would have been money far better spent for the moment. And dare I say more beneficial for access to Kerry itself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

road_high wrote: »
    Totally agree. While Tralee is a necessary and useful scheme but lord adare and newcastleswest bypssses would have been money far better spent for the moment. And dare I say more beneficial for access to Kerry itself.

Macroom Ballyvourney bypasses and Dual Carriageway from the South Ring Road at Ballincollig to Ballvourney county bounds scheme should have been the most important schemes from a National point of view, afterwards the Adare - Newcastlewest bypasses and then a new Farranfore to Killarney road. The Tralee bypass was about gombeenism, the Healy Raes and using it to gain votes (in a new 5 seater Kerry constituency) and was not about forward thinking or providing access into the County which it so badly needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Tralee bypass was practically built to guarantee Healy-Rae etc votes in the Coalition. Outrageous bit of corruption and vote buying but there we go. It'll benefit Tralee massively but of course there are innumerable projects that are more important.

Incidentally when this one was starting Adare wasn't (and still isn't) through the planning process.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Incidentally when this one was starting Adare wasn't (and still isn't) through the planning process.

That's down to the idiotic decision by LCC to throw out the original 2005 stand alone northern bypass route in favour of starting from scratch in 2009 with a southern bypass that relied on the M20 to be built, which was rejected by ABP because the M20 isn't going to be built any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Folks, I'm sure this has loong since been answered but one quick question:
    Why does it extend so far North? (i.e. why doesn't it end at the Dromthacker Road/Tralee IT?). It seems to be twice as long as it would have been if it had ended there, for, based on my limited Tralee experience, a saving of 2-3 minutes? I understand the principle of an orbital road, and keeping it high quality and 100km/h, but that's quite a significant addition when road budgets are so tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I sent them a note about the ByPass.

I wonder how they managed to do that so quickly?

Somebody take a snap on the Are Arann light?

Dear Thomas,

You recently submitted a TomTom map change through Map Share Reporter. And here’s the good news: we’re adding it to our next map release!

Thanks for taking the time to report the correction. People like you help drivers throughout the TomTom community enjoy even better navigation.

Of course, roads are changing all the time. So if you see anything else on your map that needs to be changed, do tell us. You know it can make a real difference!

All the best,
    The TomTom team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tragedy wrote: »
    Folks, I'm sure this has loong since been answered but one quick question:
    Why does it extend so far North? (i.e. why doesn't it end at the Dromthacker Road/Tralee IT?). It seems to be twice as long as it would have been if it had ended there, for, based on my limited Tralee experience, a saving of 2-3 minutes? I understand the principle of an orbital road, and keeping it high quality and 100km/h, but that's quite a significant addition when road budgets are so tight!

Having it end at the second last junction at Dromtacker would have fed traffic into built up areas around the Tralee IT, Kerry Technological Park and residential neighbourhoods therefore defeating the benefit of being a bypass. The reason it stretches so far north is that there is a large tract of residential houses - Alderwood Road - that would have to be demolished to enable the road to meet the existing N69 Listowel Road much closer to Tralee. As this would have been unfeasible, the road is built around and north of that area to avoid Alderwood Road. (google map it to understand the geography of that road and why the bypass has to skirt around it)

As someone of Tralee origin, while I welcome the bypass for Tralee and Kerry, I also agree the money could have been better spent on bigger priority projects such as the Adare bypass. Yet again, I was stuck in Adare for 30 minutes last Saturday lunchtime. This has to be one of the worst 3 bottlenecks in the country currently if not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 civil engineer kerry

HI there iam try view you picture of tralee bypass i cant look them as it says photobucket can you help. Thanks

Advertisement