Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Application: Do I have to change anything?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. You're probably bored to tears with threads like this.

I have applied through the CAO to enter DIT this year. I'd like to study either DT553 or DT533. Unless the trends change drastically, I should gain access to one of these courses with my Leaving Certificate from 2012. However, I've completed a PLC in the meantime and that particular certificate is not acceptable to DIT.

Last year, I scored enough points (345) and had relevant subjects to gain access to various courses (admittedly at other institutions) but I failed one of my six subjects (Higher E). As a result, I couldn't enter a degree course. However, according to DIT's website, one Higher E is acceptable if a student has 2-3 honours besides. Apparently, I'm not necessarily disqualified.

My only concern is that I might be overlooked as my most recent qualification (FETAC 5) is not adequate, even though I hope that my leaving cert will be. All of my qualifications are listed on the CAO's system. Does anyone know whether they will be checked automatically, or do I need to contact DIT or the CAO to change anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Well in 2008 I got all the points required but had an E in Honours Maths. I was still offered DT480 (now DT422).

So I'm not certain if you had maths or a different subject or the rules for maths are different but I got in with an E at honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Thanks JohnG18. I don't actually have Maths at all but neither of these courses seem to require it. I think there used to be a chance to repeat OL Maths in the Journalism courses but that seems to have been scrapped. NUI colleges have got rid of the Maths requirement for Arts-related courses and ITs seem to have followed suit.

Out of interest, did you pass 6 subjects apart from Maths?

jrmb wrote: »
    Thanks JohnG18. I don't actually have Maths at all but neither of these courses seem to require it. I think there used to be a chance to repeat OL Maths in the Journalism courses but that seems to have been scrapped. NUI colleges have got rid of the Maths requirement for Arts-related courses and ITs seem to have followed suit.

Out of interest, did you pass 6 subjects apart from Maths?

I had passes in 6 subjects (English, German, Irish, Music, History and Biology) and a fail in Maths.

Interesting. Thanks.

I have 4 honours (English, Irish, French, Spanish), a pass (Classics) and that E (History). I need my E to be considered a sixth subject. Hoping for the best.

It turns out I had nothing to worry about :) Looking forward to joining you in DIT

• Advertisement

jrmb wrote: »
    It turns out I had nothing to worry about :) Looking forward to joining you in DIT

Glad you got your place :) I'm long gone (well class of 2012) and in UCD now. I just haunt the forums to offer assistance since I had a couple trials and tribulations... A fail in the LC, changed courses after first year, repeats in first year, rechecks in 3rd year etc :P I've got the t shirt basically :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Hey :) which course are you doing? If DT533, I'll see you there :P

I got 553 but would have been delighted with 533 either. It looks like a great course.

Edit: Those course numbers, not that many points :P

Advertisement