Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT v IADT Design (Visual communications)

Options
  • 24-04-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

If anyone has completed or is currently studying Visual Communications in either DIT or IADT in Dublin, I would really appreciate if you could tell me what you thought of the course and if you would recommend it because I cannot decide between the two. I would also like to hear your opinions on which college is better recognized and would create better opportunities for me after I graduate. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I'm in Iadt at the moment just finsihed 2nd year, very good course! was named on of the top in Europe! Its quite busy tho, long days, intense projects! You should check out some of the work at the graduate show, details should be on the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NandoNumber5

@gillapino thanks for the reply :) I hope to come and check out the graduate show and I have been the the open day of the college and loved it! I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on DIT? or if you know anything about their course or students studying visual communications there? because IADT is my top choice but the only problem is it's location, I have to live with one of my relatives and they live around Drumcondra, so DIT would be closer for me and it would probably take me ages to get a bus to dun laoghaire everyday :( although i would do it but i would have to check costs and stuff. IADT is very respect and i was wondering would graduating from DIT offer the same job opportunities? soo to be asking you all these questions I'm just very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I went to DIT and loved it, every minute of it. I was also accepted to IADT but I wanted DIT like yourself.

In terms of how DIT measures up to IADT, it is on a par. Both have fantastic tutors and have a great reputation, I can only give my opinion of environment of DIT and can vouch for it highly. The campus is probably not as good as IADT but it is made up with the attitude and standard of teaching.

In terms of job opportunities, that will come down to your portfolio and attitude, going to one over the other won't dictate your chances of a job but it won't hurt your chances as well, some of the better known studios in Dublin were started by DIT grads, as with another top one owned and run by a current IADT lecturer.

DIT was quite intense in final year, long days and stressed heads were the common form of the terms, but that will happen in any course. I got advanced entry so I skipped 1st year on account of me having a diploma from a previous course, but I did hear from my classmates that 1st year was a tough induction, the main aim of it is to filter out students who aren't fully dedicated to the course, so they put pressure on you to test you, but they also will try get the best out of you. 2nd and 3rd year were intense at times but again that is how college is, and with continuous assessment instead of exams, periods of hard work will pop up. Having said that I would do it all again in the blink of an eye, great place with great people and I learned so much in terms of type, illustration and general design, its a great place.

Both are great places to go and learn, IADT gets great reviews from past pupils, so in all it seems the 2 places you have picked are 2 of the best, ultimately it will come down to what you want, the commute will weigh on you over time so IADT (as good as it is) might not be a the best choice for you.

As mentioned as well, grad shows are coming up so get to them, you will see high standards of work at all, and talk to students, they will be honest with you, or rather should be anyway.

I graduated in 2010 and got a job soon after college, and am still working. Its a very competitive environment in Ireland right now, but there are jobs if you really want one, just be prepared to work hard for it.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NandoNumber5

Wow, that is the perfect answer I was looking for and more, thank you so much, it really has helped me with my decision. :D

I'm not going to lie, the way it is described as very "intense" scares me a lot but I'm certain this is what I want to do for the rest of my live and love it so I suppose I am just going to have to remind myself of that any time the pressure mounts.

I did love IADT but realistically I agree the commute would weigh on me overtime, so DIT is now my top choice. I got 600 points in the portfolio so all I need to do is my best in June and I'm in! :)

I plan on attending both grad shows over the summer and I'm really excited about it I already have looked up some of the past grad shows work online from DIT and I was amazed.

Thanks again for your answer and it really has just inspired me even more to work my best for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Just to jump in on this one,
    Iv just been given an advanced entry interview for this course in DIT next week... Majorly stressing over putting together a portfolio all over again! Has anyone any advice!?!

Kim

• Advertisement

Hi just letting anyone know who was interested in Visual Communications in IADT the graduate exhibition is on tomorow and Thursday 2 till 8 in the college, Thursday being the last day, sorry for short notice meant to post earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RebeccaF

Went to this - definitely worth the visit

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jayla13

Can anyone answer me the same question IADT v DIT Design & Visual communication as of 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jayla13

Hi

Can anyone help me decide which college is best to study Design/visual communications, between IADT and DIT? It would really help if I could hear some opinions

Jo

I'm in IADT studying Visual Communications and heading into 3rd year in September. Great course, hard work. Small class size, around 30 which is good, really good tutors. The course recently got listed in one of the top 25 design courses in Europe. Its also quite varied, you do everything from web design to photography to animation to making models for exhibition design. If you have any more questions PM me and i can send you a link of some students work from my class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement