Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

processor versus hard drive

Options
  • 06-05-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi. Budget is 500e and use laptop for Internet browsing, word and power point. ...With a little future video editing (maybe).

Will a SSD drive offer really noticeable benefits or would something like a SSHD be okay for my needs or even a DDR? Would be looking for a i3 processor and 4G of RAM as minimum but presume that configuration would come with most SSDs anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ithorizon

Get SSD asap.
    You would be suprised how could You use HDD before. It's a HUGE difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

The only laptops with SSD laptops coming in for 500e mark are with an atom processor. Would this be fast enough for Web browsing, office tasks and some very light video editing or am I better getting an i3 or if now and upgrading to a SSD later?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

don't buy your laptop based on the inclusion of an SSD. Buy it for its spec. Processor being the most important.

You can always add an SSD later down the long.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ithorizon

I'm sorry i've forget about crazy irish prices...
    What i mean if You have a laptop with processor like i3 on board and 4gb ram, SSD is absolutley must-have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Its not a must have. It improves things. But on a budget its not required. It can be added later when funds allow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

ithorizon wrote: »
    I'm sorry i've forget about crazy irish prices...
    What i mean if You have a laptop with processor like i3 on board and 4gb ram, SSD is absolutley must-have.
    What did we ever do before the advent of SSDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

For what you plan to do in the near and indeed long term go for the best processor you can get for the money. Will have a far bigger impact than an Ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

^^+1
    You can always change disks or add RAM later

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    ^^+1
    You can always change disks or add RAM later

Sadly, with more and more laptops coming with soldered-in RAM this is becoming rarer.

I wouldn't be surprised if some premium manufacturers start with only soldered-in SSD soon...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sadly, with more and more laptops coming with soldered-in RAM this is becoming rarer.

I wouldn't be surprised if some premium manufacturers start with only soldered-in SSD soon...

More and more - really?
    Haven't seen a windows one yet with soldered in RAM but there may be a couple out there.
    I know Apple have started doing this with some models but for this users position and budget the vast majority of laptops out there are "standard".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 hankscorpio184

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Soldered in RAM?

RAM goes bad sometimes and it's necessary that's it's interchangeable. If it's soldered in it's more than likely from a crap manufacturer.

Computers even have built in beeps for when the memory is bad and needs to be replaced.

I'd be more than peed off if I found soldered in RAM on purchased laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

get used to it; many many OEMs have adopted the practice both for its low production cost, fast assembly, and smaller physical profile.

Overheal wrote: »
    get used to it; many many OEMs have adopted the practice both for its low production cost, fast assembly, and smaller physical profile.

Ive yet to see one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hankscorpio184

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think it was common in some netbooks. I have a DELL E4200 with 1GB hardwired and a socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lots of ultrabooks do it; worked alongside geeksquad for 3 years. Apple is the most notorious vendor, actually.

Advertisement