Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do people actually still not like the English?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mick112

Yes they are. They signed up to a terrorist organisation.

People in the BA signed up to an Army, not a terrorist organisation.

Is there a way I could make this easier for you to understand? Illustrations maybe?

The IRA is/was also an army ,the clue is in the name Irish Republican Army ,is that easy for YOU to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

mick112 wrote: »
    The IRA is/was also an army ,the clue is in the name Irish Republican Army ,is that easy for YOU to understand.

The OUTRAGE when someone stands up for themselves ! terrorists !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fusion19

Wouldn't say I dislike the English people as such however thinking about there hundreds of years of power grabbing monarchs/governments who wreaked havoc around the entire globe and caused fear and desperation here in Ireland makes my stomach turn and I don't think I could ever get that out of the back of my mind. In saying that I have been to England many times and have almost never had a problem with anyone English on a personal level my parents lived there for many years and I have family there. So the English are grand but I think we as Irish people should never forget what our predecessors suffered at the hands of the English. But as far as hating the English I think thats a bit far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think modern Ireland and modern England are very, very similar.

Both countries changed dramatically over the last few decades and have become much more open minded about most things including each other.

We've a bit of a nasty history, but let's face it so do almost all neighbouring European countries. Many countries were neighbours from hell over the centuries.

History is best left as just that. Our generations had nothing to do with it.

The OUTRAGE when someone stands up for themselves ! terrorists !

Yes,how dare they look for civil and human rights in their own country.

• Advertisement

Yes,how dare they look for civil and human rights in their own country.
    only an animal stands up for themselves, let them kill us, starve us and bomb us, it's england so it's ok:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

fusion19 wrote: »
    Wouldn't say I dislike the English people as such however thinking about there hundreds of years of power grabbing monarchs/governments who wreaked havoc around the entire globe and caused fear and desperation here in Ireland makes my stomach turn and I don't think I could ever get that out of the back of my mind. In saying that I have been to England many times and have almost never had a problem with anyone English on a personal level my parents lived there for many years and I have family there. So the English are grand but I think we as Irish people should never forget what our predecessors suffered at the hands of the English. But as far as hating the English I think thats a bit far.

There were plenty of Irishmen who were more than willing to be a part of the British Empire and helped its expansion in all corners of the globe. English v Irish, good v bad is at best a superficial glance back at history through green tinted blinkers.

Celts/Saxons/Vikings/Normans/Angles/Picts/Jutes/Bretons... bunch of ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 davesmith7

Ah this is all a bit silly. I still would be a little upset if England won the world cup. It's like seeing your neighbour driving something fancier than you. And I did nt like people making such a fuss over the queen. She seems a nice lady and all but what has she ever done.? Her grandmother wouldn't even donate to the famine relief fund ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not the English population, but the government and the monarchy, it's so easy for an Irish man to go on holiday's and sing ballads, but in reality you can't blame every person in england.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

English are the same as anyone else. There are good and bad . What I like about the English when they come to live here they're not clannish imo . They mix with society and contribute as much as the next man/woman. And the same can be said for the Irish in England. This can't be said for other nationalities here in Ireland imho.

only an animal stands up for themselves, let them kill us, starve us and bomb us, it's england so it's ok:)

And after all ,the Irish are sub-human and therefore not equal to the brits .

And after all ,the Irish are sub-human and therefore not equal to the brits .

No black's no dog's no Irish:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I actually think the Irish have a great relationship with English people now.
    I'm always meeting them on holidays and tend to get on great.
    But obviously liking someone always depends on the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Theyre alright. Theyre very well capable of showing why they are.... tolerated (at best), moreso than welcomed around the world but in general theres some good eggs there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

The IRA is/was also an arseholes ;) ,the clue is in the name Irish Republican Arseholes ;) ,is that easy for YOU to understand.

You can give any one any name.

Dosen't always make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

We are all humans! The word "English" means nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Worked with plenty of English, Scottish, Welsh, Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, and Irish in my time as a teacher in Japan and elsewhere.

They all had basically the same ratio of decent people to tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

English people are a mixed bunch like every other race but Parisians, now they're the greatest pricks on the planet, male and female.I'm not a racist but.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

MonaPizza wrote: »
    How could you not like this:

Attachment not found.

Many a teenage fantasy of mine.....

And her name is Maria and not Maire ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Well there's a lot of things that they did in the past which maybe irrational but at the same very understandable to hold a grudge against them for.

The whole mess they caused up the North, collusion with loyalist terrorists to help committee crimes against citizens of this country & their demonetization of Republican insurgent groups is what I think gets most people down here. That's still a very small number of English people & in general their some of the most fear minded people on the planet.

Yes they are. They signed up to a terrorist organisation.

People in the BA signed up to an Army, not a terrorist organisation.

Is there a way I could make this easier for you to understand? Illustrations maybe?

The IRA was not a "terrorist organization" it was a revolutionary military organization who used unconventional military tactics which the British didn't have a name for so they labeled all insurgent groups in the North as "terrorists". Terrorists intentionally set out to kill civilians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

The list of things I don't like about the English, is a hell of a lot shorter than the things which I do like, that's for sure.

Dislike: Cromwell, Genocide, Miscarriages of Justice, Shoot to Kill Policies etc.

Like: They fought the Nazis and won.

Produced some great people / great music etc:

Ronnie Barker, John Cleese, Rick Stein, Frank Skinner, Sam Fox, Jimmy White, Roxanne Hall, Terence Stamp, Big Ron, George Cole, Shakespeare, John Stalker, Enid Blyton, Bruce Robinson, Villa, Jaguar, MG Rover, Billy Idol, Ozzy, David Bowie, The Spice Girls, The Beatles, The Who, The Cure, Why Don't You, Minder, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Boys from the Blackstuff etc etc etc.

It is also one of the most scenically beautiful countries in the world.

When the sun is shining, no better place I'd like to be driving, than in the Lake District or the English Riviera.

Brixham in Devon on a summer's evening is heaven.

*I was joking about The Spice Girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They make great soaps.

I think Tony Benn made everyone like the English again.

What a cool & passionate guy.

A lot of what is talked about in this and many other threads (especially in AH) is why the cross-party talks have failed so far. It's those idiots that just can't let go of the past that keep stirring the pot and keeping the hatred warm and alive. No matter whether you are a hard core provo or a knuckle dragging unionist (their terms used against each other) the hatred is still there over something that happened 800, 300 or 40 years ago.

Is it now not time to forget and ignore people like Ian Paisley, Gerry Adams and Willie Frazer? If only one generation could forgive and forget then the whole 32 counties would be a better place.

But after being an AH viewer for a few years I know that my dream is like pissing in the wind because the idiots are always going to have their hand on that big spoon...... always stirring, always hating :(

FanadMan wrote: »
    A lot of what is talked about in this and many other threads (especially in AH) is why the cross-party talks have failed so far. It's those idiots that just can't let go of the past that keep stirring the pot and keeping the hatred warm and alive. No matter whether you are a hard core provo or a knuckle dragging unionist (their terms used against each other) the hatred is still there over something that happened 800, 300 or 40 years ago.

Is it now not time to forget and ignore people like Ian Paisley, Gerry Adams and Willie Frazer? If only one generation could forgive and forget then the whole 32 counties would be a better place.

But after being an AH viewer for a few years I know that my dream is like pissing in the wind because the idiots are always going to have their hand on that big spoon...... always stirring, always hating :(

So it turns out calling people offensive names isn't the best way to win hearts & minds?

tdv123 wrote: »
    So it turns out calling people offensive names isn't the best way to win hearts & minds?

Exactly! So I take it you probably don't like being called a shinner, provo, fenian or any of those other hate-filled names? Just like people who have a differing view from yours don't like being called a jaffa or a prod or whatever else.

I'm out of this thread because no matter what happens, people are gonna hate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

rob316 wrote: »
    I just find it stupid to hate a nation of people based on the past. (1)Especially when irish (Modern) society is so heavily influenced by the english.
    im not talking about Churchill, the crown etc im talking about hating regular english people.

(2)this guy is a business man and won't deal with any english companies.

Didn't read much after that quote, so may have been said..

(1) - That would be a reason to hate them alone. But, they themselves are heavily influenced by the Americans. So the Irish are influenced by people influenced by Morons.
    (2) - Not much of a "Businessman" if he is choosing who he rips off/does business with/sells to.

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    Exactly! So I take it you probably don't like being called a shinner, provo, fenian or any of those other hate-filled names? Just like people who have a differing view from yours don't like being called a jaffa or a prod or whatever else.

I'm out of this thread because no matter what happens, people are gonna hate!

I wouldn't consider shinner, provo or fenian to be offensive. I have no idea if people find jaffa or prod offensive. My job is to convince people who disagree with me that their views just aren't different but that there just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

What, as a landmass? I suppose it is quite sinister looking... like it's about to pinch Ireland on the bum or something.

exactly my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I hate people who any time you say anything critical about england automatically assume you are anti english.It seems we have gone too far in this country where you can't criticise anything english anymore without being accused of being a bigot.It seems that it is perfectly ok to criticise things about other country's but you can't do the same thing about england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I have no problems with English people, most of my 1st cousins are English born and I go over to London, Liverpool and Manchester a few times a year and the nightlife is great over there.
    In fact things have never been as friendly between the 2 nations and I think the average English person has much more in common with us than Billy Oranges fan club north of the border.

However there seems to be some Irish people who have a self loathing of our history and think it should never be spoken about and if someone has the audacity to mention it you will get responses like "build a bridge, get over it" or "800 years rabble rabble".

The English were fairly brutal in their treatment of us Irish while they occupied this country and my own family felt this as well when the Tans tied my great granduncle to a truck and dragged him along the road until he was dead during the WOI and I'm sure other posters could tell similar stories as well.

I think most fair minded people have no problems with English people these days but at the same time let's not brush our history under the carpet and feel we should be ashamed to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Lardy wrote: »
    Being a Yorkshireman myself, I have quite a low tolerance for my southern countrymen. Generally find them to be arrogant and unfriendly. (Obviously not met them all, so may be some good eggs)
    I've lived in Ireland for about 10 years now and only once come across one individual who took offence to my accent. I couldn't imagine moving back to England now. Ireland is such a beautiful country with the most friendly of people. :)

That's something that always amuses me, the Northern hate of the south! My other half is a Bradford man, but we're living in Essex at the moment. His family keep calling him a southern softie now :D

I love Yorkshire, it's a beautiful place. Can't wait to move there later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I love Yorkshire, it's a beautiful place.
    Cant beat a Yorkshire pudding either Toad in the Hole style. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I'm English and have been living over here for the past 5 years; I find 95% of the Irish fine and have no problem with me.

But I do come across the odd person who is just an idiot and can't wait to tell me how much they hate the English.

Most people just tell me they love my accent though, guys seem to love it! ;)

I have personally found that the older generation are OK, most of them have lived and worked in England at some point or have a brother/sister/cousin over there. It's actually the younger generation who are the ones who I get the comments from, it's so strange :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cleeo wrote: »
    That's something that always amuses me, the Northern hate of the south! My other half is a Bradford man, but we're living in Essex at the moment. His family keep calling him a southern softie now :D

I love Yorkshire, it's a beautiful place. Can't wait to move there later this year.

Don't talk to me about sophistication, I've BEEN to Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've heard of a UK national who was told by an HR person in an interview applying for a position with a big multi-national here in Cork that while they were rather impressed with him, he would do better to remove his time in the British Army from his CV and best of luck with his future endeavours.

We all told him to sue them over that comment, but he didn't want the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jebus what a train wreck that was.

We are done with this topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement