Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to buy a Yaris

Options
  • 21-03-2008 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

I want to buy a 2000 reg 5 door Yaris in good condition and clean. What should I expect to pay for it and is there anything else I should know?

I looked at one at 4,800 euro but the body was not great, scratches on bumper and what looked like rust spots in places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For around €5k you should be looking for a 2001 model. Here are a few nice looking ones within your budget:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/1/550480/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/5dr-Terra/933775/

Alternatively if you don't want to spend all your budget:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/car/976142/

The Yaris is very popular with learner drives so alot of them will have suffered from bumps and scrapes. Mechanically they are generally fine but a proven service history is always advisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

bazz26 wrote: »
    For around €5k you should be looking for a 2001 model. Here are a few nice looking ones within your budget:
    Sorry it was 3,800 I meant to post
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/1/550480/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/5dr-Terra/933775/

Alternatively if you don't want to spend all your budget:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris/car/976142/

The Yaris is very popular with learner drives so alot of them will have suffered from bumps and scrapes. Mechanically they are generally fine but a proven service history is always advisable.
    OK thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hold out for a low milage model, there are plenty out there. Don't buy one without power steering, there are a good few like this on Carzone, a rule of thumb is that if it has black door handles (not painted) it won't have power steering. (There are a tiny number of exceptions to this rule)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    a rule of thumb is that if it has black door handles (not painted) it won't have power steering.
    I seem to remember reading that but cannot remember the context. Isn't there also something about a logo of a little planet and the letters wfi. What would be god mileage on a 2000 yaris?

The Irish (and European non UK) models have model names based on the solar system.

Linea Terra has a logo of the Earth on it, and is the most common model, it's pretty much the base model (if you except the short-lived "E" model)

Linea Luna has a logo with the moon on it, on 99-03 Yaris, this meant you got colour coded bumpers and leather steering wheel/gearknob

Linea Sol has a logo of the sun on it, these would be the top of the range and quite rare.

These badges generally mean they're Irish models. UK models had different spec to Irish ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Linea Luna is actually a jibe becasue you would want to be a lunatic to buy an overpriced little trolley like a Yaris where you wonder whether you are getting power steering or not:eek: You can buy a car the same age and quality, with FSH, with all the gadgets and bags of comfort that is far more capable than a city runaround for the same or less money with loosely comparable running costs.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/1.6-VVTI/935336/

In Ireland, most people, unless they live deep in the heart of Dublin and the car is Never going to be used for anything other than popping down the shops need a proper car for long commutes, copious country driving, weekends away, poor roads and poor weather conditions. Buying a supermini for this purpouse is the ultimate exercise in motoring ignorance IMO

Don't do it.

(Yawn) Yaris depreciates very little, so even if 00 models are pricey now, the OP will get most of that back when she decides to sell it.
    Combine that with €165 a year road tax, 50mpg and cheap insurance.

I see what you're saying, and you have a point, the Avensis is a lot bigger a car for the money, we had this argument back in 05 when you tried to get everyone to buy a 5 series instead of a small car.
    Some people want small cars.

Thanks colm_mcm and also cantdecide. The avensis is surely a nice looking auto but a 1.6 engine is a bit big for me. And I would not be doing an awful lot of long trips

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_mcm wrote: »
    (Yawn) Yaris depreciates very little, so even if 00 models are pricey now, the OP will get most of that back when she decides to sell it.
    Combine that with €165 a year road tax, 50mpg and cheap insurance.

I see what you're saying, and you have a point, the Avensis is a lot bigger a car for the money, we had this argument back in 05 when you tried to get everyone to buy a 5 series instead of a small car.
    Some people want small cars.

There's no big sway in insurance from car to car like there was a few years ago and if you have usage for a supermini where conditions allow it to get 50 mpg, you need a proper car to do it in, not a city car cos it won't get 50MPG in city traffic.

Is depreciation such an important factor on a <€5k car?? The most you can lose is €5k- that's a bit of a result compared to what you lose on newer cars.

All things considered, you can call running cost loosely comparable. Small cost difference against enormous value difference.

I understand why people want small cars but usually it's for the wrong reasons. A perceived cheapness that MAY exist if you get the absolute wrong car for your needs.

I keep making this point because it's one that only those ignorant of motoring come out with. Would you buy a Yaris as your main car for the forseeable future??

I'm not selling the things so I can be objective. I'm not here to help people make the wrong decision. They would give their requirements more consideration if they were buying a PC so what gives people the authority to objectively choose a car when their prejudices are skewing their judgement.

OP, despite what they (Dad or BF or whoever) tells you, 1.6 is not a big engine at all and it's practically no more commitment than the 1.0. The real difference is that one FEELS cheap to buy and run and the other one is the real bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

I want to buy a 2000 reg 5 door Yaris in good condition and clean. What should I expect to pay for it and is there anything else I should know?

I looked at one at 4,800 euro but the body was not great, scratches on bumper and what looked like rust spots in places

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&sortby=PriceAsc&maxrows=50&Make=Toyota&Model=Yaris&Year=2000&GroupID=738

That one in Cork looks good.
    Only 2 things to look out for, make sure the water pump isn't rattling on it, and that the radio is getting reception. some Yaris's had aeriel and radio problems. Other than that, there's very little to go wrong on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's no big sway in insurance from car to car like there was a few years ago and if you have usage for a supermini where conditions allow it to get 50 mpg, you need a proper car to do it in, not a city car cos it won't get 50MPG in city traffic.

Is depreciation such an important factor on a <€5k car?? The most you can lose is €5k- that's a bit of a result compared to what you lose on newer cars.

All things considered, you can call running cost loosely comparable. Small cost difference against enormous value difference.

I understand why people want small cars but usually it's for the wrong reasons. A perceived cheapness that MAY exist if you get the absolute wrong car for your needs.

I keep making this point because it's one that only those ignorant of motoring come out with. Would you buy a Yaris as your main car for the forseeable future??

I'm not selling the things so I can be objective. I'm not here to help people make the wrong decision. They would give their requirements more consideration if they were buying a PC so what gives people the authority to objectively choose a car when their prejudices are skewing their judgement.

OP, despite what they (Dad or BF or whoever) tells you, 1.6 is not a big engine at all and it's practically no more commitment than the 1.0. The real difference is that one FEELS cheap to buy and run and the other one is the real bargain.

1.0 to 1.6 is no more commitment? Care to explain how on Gods green earth you came to that obscure conclusion?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd buy that sort of car privately, I think you'd get a much much better car than you will from a dealer for that sort of money.

Look for a one-owner example, bring someone along who knows a bit about cars and check the history on one of the sites and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

cantdecide wrote: »

Rubbish!!!. I have experience of both a 1.6 avensis and a yaris and the difference in running costs is huge. Tax on the the 1.6 is 3 times the amount on the yaris and the difference in petrol costs is massive. If you don't need the bigger car why pay the running costs?. They will not cost the same to run and anyone that tells you differnt is talking crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The Yaris is a great little car. I don't know why people say it's no good for long commutes or long distance driving down to the country. I drive back home to Kerry regularly from Dublin and it's grand. It's not as smooth now obviously as a big car, but that's the same with all smal cars! A small car was what I needed to get me started off.

And it's the same as why lots of people buy Yaris. It's not so expensive, tax is very low on it, fuel consumption is nothing! To fill my car costs around €30 and a half a tank will get me down to Kerry. I do a decent commute as well to work and I only have to fill it once a week usually. Plus it's the easiest car in the world to drive!

OP, I would definitely recommend getting one. They are great! I've had mine for 2.5 yrs now and as I said in another thread the only problem I ever had was a flat tyre once. Toyota are very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A bigger car would cost more in terms of tax and petrol(and insurance depending on age), but you are getting a whole lot more car for your money. And the difference wouldn't be that big either.

You're getting more space, equipment, power, torque, performance, comfort for not a whole lot more every year.

I have to plug the Skoda Fabia, a great little supermini, a far superior car to the Yaris IMHO. They're much more spacious, and quieter, comfier and feel a lot more solid inside in them than the Yaris. They're unlikely to be any dearer to run either than the Yaris.

Have a look at one of those too OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

E92 wrote: »
    A bigger car would cost more in terms of tax and petrol(and insurance depending on age), but you are getting a whole lot more car for your money. And the difference wouldn't be that big either.

You're getting more space, equipment, power, torque, performance, comfort for not a whole lot more every year.

I have to plug the Skoda Fabia, a great little supermini, a far superior car to the Yaris IMHO. They're much more spacious, and quieter, comfier and feel a lot more solid inside in them than the Yaris. They're unlikely to be any dearer to run either than the Yaris.

Have a look at one of those too OP.

Yes but if your on the OP's budget your looking at a 2000/2001 model Fabia which only had the 1.4 litre engine. So unless she finds the pretty rare 100bhp she is going to be buying the 65bhp version. The 1.2 litre didn't arrive until 2003. So she is going to be paying for tax, insurance and fuel on a 1.4 litre car with similar performance to a 1.0 litre Yaris. At that rate she might as well move up a segment and look at the Corolla/Civic/Octavia, etc.

Anyway the OP is asking about prices on a Yaris so all of this is a mute point at this stage.

Advertisement