Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory chips loose in sockets?!

Options
  • 06-05-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I wonder has anyone on this thread ever come across this problem?
    My daughter has a Sony Viaio 2009 vintage which locks up regularly.
    I've checked the cooling, re-seated the RAM chips etc. and it appears to me that the RAM sodimm's are somewhat "loose" in the sockets on the motherboard. By that I mean that they could not be called a snug fit by any stretch of the imagination in comparison to my own Packard Bell Easynote there is a marked difference.
    Anyone ever see or hear of this before?
    I assume the sockets are not replaceable without changing the whole motherboard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

peking97 wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone on this thread ever come across this problem?
    My daughter has a Sony Viaio 2009 vintage which locks up regularly.
    I've checked the cooling, re-seated the RAM chips etc. and it appears to me that the RAM sodimm's are somewhat "loose" in the sockets on the motherboard. By that I mean that they could not be called a snug fit by any stretch of the imagination in comparison to my own Packard Bell Easynote there is a marked difference.
    Anyone ever see or hear of this before?
    I assume the sockets are not replaceable without changing the whole motherboard?

Are they held down by those metal springs on either side? Perhaps they are not engaging fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Yes they're held down ok but before I engage the metal springs it appears to me that the modules are not held tightly enough when inserted into the actual sockets. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Post a pic please...

Can't post a pic as I don't have access to the machine at the moment but I doubt it would be of much help anyway. It just seems to me as if the memory modules should be a tighter fit in the sockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

peking97 wrote: »
    Can't post a pic as I don't have access to the machine at the moment but I doubt it would be of much help anyway. It just seems to me as if the memory modules should be a tighter fit in the sockets!

Well they are not fully in until clipped down so there will be movement while in the slanted position. If they are still loose when fully pushed down then you may have a problem. Have you tried running the machine with one stick removed to see if one is dodgy?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Well they are not fully in until clipped down so there will be movement while in the slanted position. If they are still loose when fully pushed down then you may have a problem.
    I hadn't realised that. I thought they should be reasonably tight even in the slanted position.
    mordeith wrote: »
    Have you tried running the machine with one stick removed to see if one is dodgy?
    Haven't done that. Will try when machine next available. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have a look at this video - skip to about 2:30 to see how the RAM should look.

Ken

Advertisement