Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fully or Semi Synthenic Oil?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Which is better for Petrol cars.

Say a standard 1.4 engine.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kluivert wrote: »
    Which is better for Petrol cars.

Say a standard 1.4 engine.

on a 1.4 civic the recommended oil is semi 10w 40.
    why would you put in fully syth if the car is dsigned for semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

10/40 ss is what I use for my old Corolla petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

kceire wrote: »
    on a 1.4 civic the recommended oil is semi 10w 40.
    why would you put in fully syth if the car is dsigned for semi?

AGREED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was just enquiring because I had a conversation with a gentleman here at work that said since he switched to Fully, he finds the car running smoother.

In saying that he's just back from the garage, the car needs a new engine lol. Company car.

I use 10/40 as well I find it to be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Put in what the manufacturer recommends - the manual will be your best guidance here. Anything above the recommended spec is a 'luxury'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

The type of oil really depends of the engine/year.
    My old bimmer E36 has to be semi-synthetic, while my newest one E46, has to be synthetic.
    Correct me if I am wrong :-) I am always mixing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭maidhc

mick.fr wrote: »
    The type of oil really depends of the engine/year.
    My old bimmer E36 has to be semi-synthetic, while my newest one E46, has to be synthetic.
    Correct me if I am wrong :-) I am always mixing...

indeed.

My capri will take nothing less than mineral.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My corolla is 5-30 fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Put synth in an old 911 and you'll be heading for a top end rebuild shortly thereafter. You need to bear in mind any car was designed for what was available at the time it was new.

Oils evolve, old engines, don't!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Service Due on my e46 soon - Should I insist that the mechanic puts uses fully synthetic????

Should I bring my own?

Also where is best to buy some?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Only use the exact spec oil as stated in your owners manual.
    All oil based products are gone pricey these days but go into an motorfactors and ask for the right grade of oil in a duckhams or good equiv and politely ask for the trade price - they'll mostly give it to you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

OP I assume you are wondering about your 99 1.4 astra, which should be using 10w40 semi synthetic. 5w30 fully synthetic could also be used but is not necessary for that engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

Newer oils meet and supercede the specifications for pervious oils. For example, according to the manufacturer I can run 0W20 fully synthetic in my car even though 10W40 SS was the recommended when it was new.

Speaking from experience though I've found that the newer oils are lighter and will "go through" an older engine that has a few miles on it.

As long as the oil meets or supercedes the required standards it will be ok. As to what's better, well in theory the lighter oils will save you money on your fuel bills. That is as long as they don't "go through" your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just an FYI. Tesco Clearwater (and probably other mega-Tescos) are selling own-brand semi-synthetic @ €7.99 for 2 litres. API SL afair. Not sure of the SAE.

Anyone have an opinion if this would be good in a '95 Accord? Was thinking of going full synthetic to avail of longer intervals.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't dream of putting in Tesco oil into my car! Get a decent oil - for the few quid extra, its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

honda changed that 1.4 engine halfway through production of the previous mark civic, afaik the newer one uses fully synth 5w30 or 10w30 not 100% on which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

One of the lads has started to use this Castrol "higher mileage" semi synthetic stuff in has 96 AMG C36. Any opinions?

On the semi v fully, I have read that switching from one type to the other causes issues with the oil seals failing prematurely.

Advertisement