Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport in a Cube

• 30-03-2005 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

It seems possible, but am I right that the Cube won't support Airport Extreme? And where do you get Airport cards now that Apple doesn't sell them anymore (only Airport Extreme)?

I have a very happy rejuvenated Cube here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yoda wrote:
    It seems possible, but am I right that the Cube won't support Airport Extreme? And where do you get Airport cards now that Apple doesn't sell them anymore (only Airport Extreme)?

It's definitely possible i have an airport card in my Cube. It's a B . I connect to my Wireless windows Network . I,m not sure but I may have a spare lying around, I.ll have a look if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I am. PM me.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ebay is the handiest place to pick one up.

they for for around 60Gbp in teh UK and 69-80Usd in the US

if you dont need to use wireless with OS 9, you can use a Dlink DWL122 usb adaptor. i think these are as cheap a 20Gbp on ebay uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The Muppet wrote:
    It's definitely possible i have an airport card in my Cube. It's a B . I connect to my Wireless windows Network . I,m not sure but I may have a spare lying around, I.ll have a look if you're interested.

Have to get those glasses cleaned Muppet :D The cube won't accept an Airport Extreme card only the standard Airport cards.

I have a couple lying around if Kermit can't help you. ;)

ZEN

• Advertisement

Isn't 802.11b Airport and 802.11g Airport Extreme?

Correct on both counts !!

ZEN

Then Muppet doesn't need to have his glasses cleaned as he offered me an 802.11b for my Cube. *cough*

My thanks to The Muppet for sending me the Airport card. It arrived in a single day!

Unfortunately, when it is installed, the Cube refuses to startup. I uninstalled it, Cube started up. Reinstalled it, Cube refuses to startup. Uninstalled it, Cube starts up.

So. It's either a problem with the Cube, or with the card. My PowerBook G4 has an Airport Extreme card installed. Should I try installing the Airport card in that to see if it works?

It doesn't work, of course, because the Airport Extreme card for the PowerBook 12" G4 is a completely different size.

• Advertisement

Hi Yoda

I have just come across this today. Did you get the card to work? I should have tested it in my cube before I sent it. If you want to send it back I would be happy to test it for you. If the card is teh proble I will twist Zeners arm for one for you. {We are mates In real life}

No prob' I have a spare here if you need it.
    I also Have a Radeon 7000 AGP card to suit the cube if you need one.
    Yours for a small donation to a charity of your choice. :)

If you're in Duberlin I may be able to bring it over to you.

ZEN

The card did not work in the Cube. Then I went to Berlin and now I am in New York. :) I can send the card back to you when I get home, middle of next week or so. It would be great if it could be tested, so I could see if it is the Cube or the card.

ZENER wrote:
    If you're in Duberlin I may be able to bring it over to you.
    I'll be in Dún Laoghaire from late Monday to Tuesday or maybe Wednesday.

Yoda wrote:
    The card did not work in the Cube. Then I went to Berlin and now I am in New York. :) I can send the card back to you when I get home, middle of next week or so. It would be great if it could be tested, so I could see if it is the Cube or the card.

I would be happy to test it for you if you want Yoda , I should have done so before I sent it to you.

Muppet, PM me with your name and postal address please and I will post the Airport card back to you. You can test it in your Cube then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

if you're paying this much you might as well get an ethernet to USB adaptor (Buffalo AirStation Ethernet Converter and others)

Any luck with that card, Muppet?

(I suppose I should say, duuuhhh. I thought I'd sent the card back to Muppet but hadn't done so... I've put it in today's post.)

I get days like that too !! . . . today for example ! :rolleyes:

I'll give The Muppet a kick in the jacksie when I see him to remind him to sort you out with a working Airport card.

ZEN

• Advertisement

Wel, the first thing to do is find out whether the card he sent me before works or not. It could be a problem with the Cube.

Hi there. OK, I really need an Airport solution for the Cube now. I upgraded from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 and the D-Link DWL-122 USB I had been using died utterly. Googling shows that that piece of kit and its software doesn't work and won't work and D-Link isn't supporting it. We need the Cube to talk to the Airport because it's in the guest room driving the printer which both of our Macs access remotely.

Muppet, you were kind enough to send me a spare Airport card, but when installed the Cube would not start up. I sent it back to see if you could get it to work in another Mac (the question being, is my Cube buggered or was the card). Can you give it a try?

Alternatively, I'd like to know what other robust Airport solutions there might be for my Cube.

Bump. Please, can you follow through on this? Or give me advice as to what I can buy to get this working?

Yoda wrote:
    Bump. Please, can you follow through on this? Or give me advice as to what I can buy to get this working?

Hi Yoda

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to you. I had forgotten all about this until Zener rang me today to tell me of your post.

I checked out the card you returned to me today in my cube and the cube would not boot so obviously there is a problem with the card and not your cube. thats the good news,

The bad news is that Zener tells me that he had a spare card but gave it to another boardsie user recently . I will have another look around and see if I can come up with another one for you.

Apologies for the first card not working, I should have cheked it before I sent it

Tom

Heh, I forgot to look at the thread. Thanks, Tom, for checking that card out. What is its spec and part-number? Maybe I could try to get one on eBay or something.

We had a D-Link wireless thingy working on the Cube but it was CRAP and died irrevocably when I upgraded to 10.4.2. So... we really need to get the Cube back up as our print server so I've got to get me some proper Airport for it!

Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭shane_mcc

i had a look, their far from that, there about 150 upwards, sounds like you got a deal. can they be used as a media centre? or would a mac mini be better?

End of story: I got an Airport Card from eBay.co.uk for about €100, slipped it in the Cube, and presto! everything worked perfectly from the beginning.

Thanks to all on this thread for putting up with my worries. ;)

Advertisement