Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Boards Mock Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

49ers_small_logo.gif

With the 61st pick in the NFL draft the San Francisco 49ers select
    Craig Loston, S, LSU

8056436.jpg

With the 49ers two most pressing needs at CB & WR already adressed, I'm thinking that some quality depth is needed at safety with the departure of Donte Whitner. With that in mind I went for Craig Loston who incidentally played with Eric Reid, the 49ers 1st pick last year.
    Loston has explosive pace & a very instinctual player well capable of delivering a big hit. He should well suited as a box safety as he's terrific in run support. Last year he posted 57 tackles, three passes broken up, three interceptions and four tackles for a loss. He also put in a strong performance at the senior bowl.

However he has a few weaknesses, with durability issues & lacks great top end speed. Also needs to refine his tackling technique but there's a lot of promise in him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

With the 62nd pick in the NFL draft the New England Patriots select
    TRAI TURNER, G, LSU

0ap2000000312772.jpg

The Patriots need to add some depth to the interior of the offensive line and really need to improve on pass protection. With turner they get a guy who can cover both guard and Center right away and could develop into the Patriots long term answer at Center.

I was tempted to go with a tight End here, but the run on tight ends put a stop to those thoughts.

Another option here would have been a running back such as Sankey but that seemed like a bit of a luxury pick so the Pat's go with D-Line and O-line with their first 2 picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

With the 63rd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos Select

lgo_nfl_denver_broncos?layer=comp&fit=constrain&hei=350&wid=350&fmt=png-alpha&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

Keith McGill CB UTAH

yvF4eKpp.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

With the 64th pick of the 2014 Boards Mock draft the Seattle Seahawks select

Jackson Jeffcoat - DE/OLB - Texas

Positives

Four year contributor with 33 career starts and consistent production.
    Sufficient play recognition skills.
    Frame is far from maxed out and can be built upon.
    Has significant arm length to challenge blockers with his upper body.
    Flashes a strong punch to the frame of pass blockers that can get them upright, including a club.
    Combats the length of pass blockers with his own to keep from being controlled on contact, will swat away hands.
    Effective as a stunting rusher or as a blitzer from off the line of scrimmage.
    Rushes with a high motor and has made numerous coverage or effort sacks.
    Can overwhelm run blocks when landing his hands to push them backwards.
    Sheds run blocks with relative ease by extending his arms to create space.
    Anticipates blocks on the edge to keep his outside shoulder free and contain edge runs.
    Strikes with power as a tackler and does a fine job wrapping to finish.
    Has experience playing from multiple stances and various alignments, used in unique ways by Texas on occasion.
    NFL bloodlines, his father Jim Jeffcoat played for the Cowboys and Bills for a combined 15-year NFL career

Negatives

Is thin in the lower half and not especially well-built throughout.
    Body type is stiff as a whole and he plays upright as a result.
    Chops his feet to change directions with a lack of balance and flexibility.
    Not an explosive mover, lack of acceleration from static positions.
    Tends to hop out of stances and even come off the ball a half-second late with some regularity.
    Often pops straight up coming off the ball, doesn’t initiate contact with low pads as a result.
    Struggles to bend around the corner as a speed rusher.
    Little variance in his pass rush moves.
    Doesn’t generate much power in rushes even if he strikes with his hands, too upright with nothing from the lower half.
    Can be rooted off the ball as a run defender if he doesn’t control with his hands, lack of strength generated from his lower body.
    Not a high impact defender pursuing ball carriers in the open field, lack of athleticism in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

With the first pick in the 3rd round and 65th overall the Houston Texans select

Trent Murphy OLB/DE - Standford

131105090422-trent-murphy-top-single-image-cut.jpg

Very good value pick I feel at this stage. Lead the nation in sacks last season with 15. For 6'5 and 250lbs he's got a great frame to build onto and he's impressively atheltic as well. He posted the second fasted 3 cone time(6.78) atthe combine and a very respectable 35.5 vert.

Pro's
    - Uses his hands well to get off the blocks in the run and passing game. He won't stay locked down for very long and is always looking to escape.
    - Seems like a smart player - doesn't get caught making the wrong decision very often and seems to have an nose for where the ball is going to go.
    - Solid first step could cause problems for right tackles
    - By all accounts a very good pro and team-mate

Holds his position well and waits for the QB to make his move before committing himself. Closes the QB down extremely quickly.

1m 36 secs - shows good use of hands to slide off the LT after initial block.

3m 35secs - Shows good ability to get off the block and be there to make the tackle

3m 47secs - Lovely spin move

4m - recognizes the run play and again gets off his block immediately when he needs to. Doesn't commit to the ball at first so he's not steam rolled by the LT.

4m 45 secs - Initially faces a double team and doesn't get pushed around and gets himself upright and in good position when it's one vs one.

Cons:
    - He doesn't have a brilliant first step, good LT won't be worried about his edge rushing.
    - Big question marks about him in coverage. He looks a big clumsy and he's not the kind of athlete that will turn quickly and naturally. Ideally suited to a zone marking scheme and will struggle keeping up with a lot of tight ends in man to man. He's a play you want playing with him front towards the ball

I think he's a great fit for the Texans due to him not being the primary rusher so will have time to develop his skills and build of his size. Line him up at LOLB behind JJ Watt and he could be a handful on obvious passing downs in his rookie year.

• Advertisement

Should have just read HigginsJ post in the discussion thread as that would have saved me a huge amount of time. :pac:

With the second pick in the 3rd round and the 66th overall pick the Washington Redskins select:

Pierre Desir, Cornerback, Lindenwood

Pierre-Desir-copy-198x300.jpg

Pros
    - Great size at 6'1 and has long arms at 33'.
    - Very good athlete and seems to move backwards quickly and can turn easily to keep up with wide receivers

1m - shows good ability to stick with his WR and shows of his size and reach to knock the ball down.

8m 14secs - Very quick to read the QB and jump the route for a near interception.

Cons:
    - Despite his size he's not very physical at all. Seems happier to wait for ball carriers/blocker go to him than react and attack.
    - Struggles in off coverage and seems to be slow to react to WR's who stop and sit.
    - Isn't physical enough in press man coverage. Doesn't use him hands/body enough to disrupt the WR
    - He's not a speed merchant. 4.59 40 time which isn't terrible either though.

22secs - Desipte the WR slipping he still has plenty of room to make the catch and Desir is slow to react and standing to far off.

4m 28secs - press man and zero contact with the wide receiver.

9m 44secs - again slow to react and WR makes an easy catch.

Overall:
    He's a project but with his size and athlete skills he has a very high ceiling. If he can be coached to me more physical in his play and taught how to use his hands in press man coverage he could be very good.

With the 3rd pick in the 3rd Round and the 67th pick overall the Oakland Raiders select:

Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina

BDEXTUXMYVEODHD.20130506182320.jpg

Pros:
    - Prototpyical size for a DE at 6'5 and 272lbs with 35' arms.
    - Very athletic for a man of his size. 35.5 vert, 10.9 broad jump and 7.20 43 cone drill.
    - Despite a slow overall 40 time he posts a ridiculous 1.53 10 yard splits, better than Jadevon Clowneys
    - Has a strong first hit with his hands and uses them well to get off blocks
    - Seems a smart player who won't just run after the ball like a dog in the park. Will stick to his assignment with discipline.

14secs - Throws the left tackle away easily.
    34secs - Shows good strength and hands to keep the OT off-balance and works his way around to close the pocket.

52secs - Waits for the read play to develop before committing himself and keeps his eyes on the QB. Gets a good second push when he sees the QB is keeping the ball and breaks free from the LT with ease.

2m 5 secs - Good job of keeping his eyes on the QB and throwing his arms up to attempt to block it.

2m 20secs - Nice spin move to get off his block and very close to getting a sack

2m 30secs - Just runs right through the LT and OG for a safety. Terrible blocking it has to be said.

4m 10secs - gets a good push on the LT.

5m 48secs - Fires through the LG and makes the tackle on the running back.

9m 20secs - Good first step and again very good use of his hands on the LT to open up the rush around the edge.

Cons:
    - He can get washed out of it in the run game. Seems to be inconsistent with his technqiue
    - His first step isn't as quick as it can be
    - I wouldn't question his motor, but I do think he lacks a aggressive nature to his game. Often he seems to be blocked initially and then almost gives up. However he does attempt to disrupt plays with his hands and keeps his eyes on the QB.

First play - Gets shoved aside from his gap easily in the run game and leaves a whole for the running back.

2m 15secs - Allows himself to be worked down the line and again leaves a gap. Can't get off the block to make the tackle.

I struggled to find some really obvious bad plays.

Overall:
    I'd have taken in the second round for the Raiders so delight to get him here. He's definitely one of my favourite prospects in the draft. Great size and shows some real flashes of brilliance. If he can be more aggressive and consistent in his technique I think he can be an excellent DE at the next level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

With the 4th Pick of the third round and the 68th Overall pick the Atlanta Falcons select Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee.

Tiny.jpg

With Atlanta addressing Pass rush and secondary with their first 2 picks attention now turns to the offensive line. Richardson is a guy who played LT in college but may be more suited as a Right Tackle in the NFL.

Regardless Atlanta needs to add some pass protection for Matt Ryan. Signing Jon Asamoah at Guard was a help in this regard, but the tackles on the roster won't cut it if the Falcons want to get back to challenging for the Superbowl.

Personally I feel they could go with this position in the first round, if they have not addressed this in the first 3 rounds it will be a major mistake.

Richardson is obviously not the finished article but he certainly has the potential to develop into a solid starter on either side of the line.

Here he is doing is thing:

With the 5th Pick of the third round and the 69th Overall pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select

Jimmy Garoppolo QB Easter Illonis

460x.jpg

Tampa have been talking the talk about drafting a QB and I don't think they get past the first 3 rounds without one.

Lovie Smith obviously doesn't rate Glennon and Josh McCown is more of a stop gap solution while there rookie learns the ropes.

Enter J.G. who has been climbing draft boards all over the place. He may not have the pedigree of some of the other QB's available but he has shown he has a quick release and the mobility to get out of trouble.

He won't come in and start right away and will need time to adjust to the NFL but he has the potential to do a very good job in the coming years.

With the 6th Pick of the third round and the 70th Overall pick the Jacksonville Jaguars select Zach Mettenberger

hi-res-155401135-quarterback-zach-mettenberger-looks-for-an-open_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

Second straight QB off the board. I really think the Jags need to take a QB early in the draft and ideally earlier than this.

This came down to a choice between Z.M and AJ McCarron. Essentially the main concern with Mettenberger is his recent injury.

He has great arm strength which is something you can't learn or teach, you either have it or not. Has experience running a Pro style offense and has come up against some pretty good defenses in the SEC.

As with all QB's taken at this stage of the draft he will take some time to learn and adjust in the NFL but I think the potential benefit outweigh the risks here for Jacksonville and they get a QB with loads of potential at the top of the third round.

• Advertisement

With the 7th pick of the 3rd Round the Cleveland Browns Select

Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 248.

D'Qwell Jackson has been released. Craig Robertson was awful this past season and even though Kalos Dansby was signed he is not a long term solution. While he may not have top end athletic ability he is stout against the run and a sure tackler. He is one of those high character guys who at worst will be a solid special teams contributor.

With the 8th pick in the 3rd round the Vikings select

Christian Jones, OLB/ILB, Florida State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 240.

With Erin Henderson gone the Vikes need help at both ILB and OLB. Jones is fast and athletic enough to play either position or the Vikings

With the 9th pick in the 3rd round the Bills select

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 218.

The Bills don't have a glaring need at corner but they do at Safety and I think that Jean-Baptiste is so much better than the remaining safeties he is worth a shot at converting. All the phsical attributes are there with this guy, he showed the potential to be more than a press-man cover. Jean-Baptiste illustrated the quickness and agility to play some off-man and zone coverage at the Senior Bowl. He was solid at the Combine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

120px-Giants_1961-1974.png

With the 74th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Giants select
    James_AP_640w.jpg
    Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee

1er3D4s.png?1
    I'm sure Giants fans will kill me for not drafting a skill position on offence seeing as the first 2 picks were Dennard and Yankey, but I'm not going to reach for a WR. My next ranked WR is in the 80s, so spending pick 74 on him wouldn't be wise. Especially as Ja'Wuan James is my 59th ranked prospect.

James was right tackle in Tennessee only because Antonio Richardson was at LT, and both were impenetrable. Possibly the best offensive line in the SEC, which is saying quite a bit considering the likes of Alabama, Texas A&M and Auburn were involved. James was a dominant pass protector even at RT so I've no doubt he could play LT for the Giants.

I know Eli needs weapons at his disposal, but giving him time is equally as important. He got destroyed last year, and bringing in James on top of Yankey is a huge upgrade and turns a unit of weakness into a really exciting unit prospect. Smart franchises build from the trenches, so I couldn't pass on James. There are some sleeper WRs and TEs that can be picked up later on.

200px-St_Louis_Rams_logo.svg.png

With the 75th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select
    clemson-vs-gt_dp_2013-1519.jpg
    Brandon Thomas, OT, Clemson

6QpKOYW.png?1

Again, I think smart franchises should build from the trenches. St. Louis should know this more than anyone. This is probably their last chance to keep Sam Bradford healthy, and given that in this scenario Derek Carr was selected in Round 2, then it'll be a case of not making the same mistake twice.

Thomas' stock was rising towards the top of the second round before an ACL injury sidelined him in workouts last month. That'll mean he will start the season on the PUP list, or could even sit it out completely. But that only means that he'll be a steal in the 3rd round.

Thomas was fantastic for Clemson, and hit the headlines for keeping Jadeveon Clowney in his pocket when the two squared off last year. The injury is unfortunate, but it's a smart pick for St. Louis. How Thomas is used depends on what happens with Jake Long. If he recovers, he'll stay LT and Greg Robinson will slot in at RT. Thomas could and would play Guard in that case, until Long calls it a day and Robinson is shifted over to LT. Thomas would then take up the RT position. Alternatively, Long doesn't recover and Thomas goes in at RT straight away while Robinson takes over a LT. Thomas versatility to play inside or outside is a big plus for St. Louis, as is the value you get with him in Round 3.

100px-New_Lions_Logo.svg.png

With the 76th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select
    20131102_kdl_al3_025.0_standard_709.0.jpg
    Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

H57ZQgR.png?1

Lions have been all about the best player available in recent years, so I'm going to follow that mantra here. Luckily, it's also a position they could do with some fresh faces in, and one Jim Caldwell has spoken about addressing.

Again, I'm going with value. I have Attaochu ranked a lot higher then 76. I have him at 40, and a poll I did of my 12 favourite sources of big boards have him at an average position of 44.57. So this is great, great value.

Attaochu has 3 years experience as a 3-4 OLB, which on the surface of it, doesn't sit well with Detroit's 4-3 scheme. But Georgia Tech switched to a 4-3 last year, and he notched up his highest sack total yet from DE with 12.5. He leaves college with 31.5 sacks. He's pretty explosive, and though not offering much against the run, Caldwell has spoken of wanting a "flamethrower" OLB so that's exactly what Attaochu brings to the table. If the new defensive coaching staff in Detroit start introducing some 3-4 packages, then even better.

A nice touch to this mix is that Attaochu was born in Nigeria. After drafting Ezekiel Ansah last year who was born in Ghana, and Ndamukong Suh's father being from Cameroon, the Lions would have quite the international front on their defensive line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With the 77th pick in the NFL draft the San Francisco 49ers select.....
    san-francisco-49ers-team-logo.gif
    Scott Crichton, defensive end, Oregon State
    50de9d2fd4c33.preview-620.jpg
    The Niners addressed their main needs at cornerback, wide receiver and safety already and now they will get some extra help at defensive line.
    He has the size you want at 6' 3" 273lbs and ran a 4.78 40. Now I know people are going to say he's more suited to a 4-3 but I think the Niners coaching staff can make it work and can find a role for him.
    He will play at defensive end and can be groomed for the future. Justin Smith is 34 and Ray McDonald is 29.
    He had a strong junior season with 47 tackles including 19 for loss, 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. In fact he's been great all through college and was named to All American Freshman team.
    I think the infusion of young talent to the 49ers defensive line will add a lot to the team and this is a great value pick in the 3rd round

With the 78th pick in the NFL draft the Dallas Cowboys select......

Will Sutton, defensive tackle, Arizona State

The 2013 Cowboys defense was horrendous and this draft will address it. The Cowboys have already drafted a defensive tackle and a defensive end so it may seem a suprise to go D-Line again. However defensive linemen are rotated during games so we need lots of talent.

6' 303lbs he has impressive size but there is a story behind that. In 2012 he played at 280lbs and was a dangerous interior pass rusher and had 13 sacks. He was thought of as a future 1st rounder.

In 2013 he played at 330lbs and lost his explosiveness and had a very average season. He is working back to his best playing weight right now.

A super interior pass rusher and an adequate run blocker I see a role for him on the Dallas D line

With the 79th pick in the NFL Draft the Baltimore Ravens select.....
    Baltimore-Ravens1.jpg
    Terrance West, running back, Towson University
    AP_FCS_All_America_Team_Football-0041a-7973.jpg

The recent run on offensive linemen has affected the Ravens plans as they wanted to upgrade the line.

Many say wide receiver is a need but there are some sleepers available later. I don't see the value here for cornerbacks which is another need.

The Ravens running game was horrible during 2013 and with the blame due to a number of factors. The arrival of Gary Kubiak and his run heavy offense and zone blocking scheme means new excitment for Ravens fans.

It is likely that Ray Rice will be suspended next year and with his 8.75 million cap hit 2014 may be his final year in the purple. Time for some young talent.

5' 11" 223 lbs West is heavier then any back currently on the Ravens roster. Baltimore has not had a heavier back since Willis McGahee moved on. However West is not just a goalline back, he was the star of his team and indeed his conference with 2,509 yds and 41 TDs.

I don't see a collasal 2014 for West but he will get snaps and should become starter for 2015

Some may say backs can be found later and that's true but Baltimore are snapping up this local kid now and he will see action this year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With the 80th pick of the 2014 Boards Mock Draft, the New York Jets select

CJ Fiedorowicz - TE - Iowa

nfl_combine_football-1.jpg?w=400&h=225

The Jets had three big needs going into this draft, WR, CB and TE. Two of those have been addressed in the first two rounds and the Jets mark off their third big need with the selection of Iowa TE, CJ Fiedorowicz.

Fiedorowicz is the protypical TE and a bit of a throw back to years past. He's huge at 6-5 and 262 pounds, he's a ferocious blocker (the second video above around 0:50 seconds in shows his ability blocking), has very soft hands for someone his size and can catch well in traffic. He's not going to give you massive yards after the catch that an Eric Ebron will give you, but he's more than ready to go in and start at the position from week one.

• Advertisement

With the 81st pick in the 2014 Boards Mock Draft, the Miami Dolphins select

Carl Bradford - OLB - Arizona State

I'm picking Bradford here with the intention of moving to him to the ILB position where he would be more comfortable in the NFL. This is a move that would also allow the Dolphins to move Ellerbe to the WLB position which they have indicated they would like to do if they pick up an ILB.

Bradford is an explosive player with great burst, a good block shredder and a big play machine. He has good athleticism, has played as a hybrid linebacker in college and his versatility would help the Dolphins out a lot.

With the 82nd pick in the 2014 Boards Mock Draft, the Chicago Bears select

Ka'Deem Carey - RB - University of Arizona

KCarey.jpg

The Bears have made no secret of the fact that they will draft a running back in this draft, and with the top corners off the board and the potential to pick one up in later rounds, they go with Ka'Deem Carey here.

Carey is a tough runner who constantly gets yards when there seems to be none there, he's very good at finding a hole, and when he does he's very hard to catch. One advantage Carey has over almost any other running back in this class is his pass protection. He's very good at picking up blitzes and an effective blocker. He's a capable receiver with soft hands too. A nice complement when Forte needs a breather.

With the 83rd pick in the 2014 boards mock draft the Cleveland Browns select

Jack Mewhort - OT - Ohio State

Mewhort.jpg

The Browns have hit all there bases so far in this draft with Manziel, Lee, Mason & Borland. I was looking to add a guard to improve there run blocking. Mewhort had played Guard and Tackle for Ohio State. He played LT this past year but he is not a good enough pass protector to play that position at the next level, run blocking however is a different story with Mewhort. He is very powerful and loves the physical side of the game. I would start him out at RG with the intention to eventually move him to RT.

I have slight hesitation as to how well he would fit in the projected zone blocking scheme that the Browns are likely to run under Kyle Shanahan.

With the 84th pick in the 2014 Boards mock draft the Arizona Cardinals select

Logan Thomas - QB - Virginia Tech

Logan+Thomas+ACC+Championship+Virginia+Tech+_BluWEDwkFul.jpg

With Carson Palmer having maybe 2 years left the Cardinals need to look at finding their QB of the future.

Logan Thomas has everything you could dream of in a QB. 6ft 6, cannon for an arm, top end athletic ability. He has the potential to be the best QB in this draft. He has the ability to wow with his play on occasion.

This however is the issue, the occasions where he doesn't wow he too often tends to make poor decisions. This is an ideal landing spot for him. He won't be starting or expected to start this year but at the same time in a spot where he knows that if he works hard he will be a starting QB in due course.

He could turn in to one of the steals of the draft

With the 85th pick of the Boards mock draft the Packers select

Weston Richburg - C - Colorado State.

7821418.jpg

The Packers get great value here landing the top centre in the draft. He is a strong, athletic player who had a good season followed by a solid Senior Bowl. Some have him as a player at the top of the 2nd round. With EDS signing on with the Bucs the Packers have to ensure that they protect Aaron Rodgers.

With the 86th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select:
    philadelphia-eagles-logo-jpg.jpg

Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana

Jordan-Tripp-action.jpg

With the Eagles needing some depth in the LB department, Jordan Tripp seems a decent fit. The Eagles too have shown a lot of interest in him anyway, with Chip Kelly meeting him at the NFL combine, their director of college scouting attending his pro-day & Tripp meeting the Eagles for a pre-draft visit.

In 40 games played at Montana, Tripp started 25 and recorded 235 total tackles, 9 sacks, 24 tackles for loss, 2 interceptions, 6 passes defensed, 7 fumble recoveries, and 5 forced fumbles. Tripp also contributed heavily on special teams. He was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award as the best small school defender in the country. He also attended the Senior bowl & had a solid week in Mobile.
    Tripp's fit with the Eagles seems to be in a Connor Barwin-type role. He's not a dynamic pass rushing force off the edge, but he can drop into coverage and set the edge against the run. Tripp could be a backup to Barwin and play special teams until he earns the opportunity to start.

With the 87th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the Kansas City Chiefs Select:
    Chiefs_logo_small.gif

Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi

355291_t607.JPG

Well, with this been only the Chiefs second pick in the draft, they still haven't had the chance to address one of the biggest needs, WR. Much to my surprise, one the the drafts most under-rated receivers is still on the board, Donte Moncrief.

He measures 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, and runs a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash, so he has the prototypical size and speed for a WR. In 2013, Moncrief recorded 59 receptions for 938 yards with six touchdowns.
    He does have a few negatives to his game which will need to be worked on such as his tendency to make a frustrating drop & needs to refine his route running but his flaws are fixable, so his ceiling is reasonably high.

With the 88th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select:
    Bengals_logo_small.gif

Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

Aaron-Murray-ISM.jpg

Last season proved to me that Andy Dalton is not the long term answer at QB for the Bengals. He was wildly inconsistent & the Bengals organisation must surely be getting frustrated with his play. Against the Chargers in the playoffs he played terribly & ultimately the main reason they lost that game. Aaron Murray may turn out to be a capable & consistent passer for the future of the franchise.

Prior to his ACL tear which dropped him down draft boards, he completed 65 percent of his passes for 3,075 yards with 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions. over his career at Georgia he has completed 62.3 percent of his passes for 13,166 yards and nearly three times as many touchdowns (121) as interceptions (41)
    He lacks preferred size for his position but it hasn't proved to be a problem for Russel Wilson & Drew Brees. He has a lot of positives to his game which include running a pro-style offence in Georgia, he can throw a tight spiral & manouvre within the pocket. Can throw a good deep pass & generally has a confident look about his game.
    Might be best to sit him for a year or two to learn the playbook & to recover completely from his injury before throwing him straight into a starting lineup which is expected of a lot of QB's drafted these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

With the 89th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the San Diego Chargers select:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJzMkQKnFTamVwgCg4GZdNVHGDiTd1PuSQt-mIPFXIJ-ydWquBYhGTd_PvEg

University of Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer

cody-latimer-ncaa-football-ball-state-indiana-590x900.jpg

After going Defense with the first two picks The Chargers go wide receiver in round three and staff and fans alike should be turning out cartwheels with this one.

Since the combine and pro days Latimer's stock has risen exponentially with stellar 40s (4.39 and 4.43) drawing much attention. Standing 6'3 and 215 pounds Latimer is more than capable of utilising his physical prowess and allied to his top speed and the mismatches his size creates he is more than capable as a downfield blocker.

Concerns arise with his route running and ability to create separation. His hands can also be somewhat erratic but as a late 3rd rounder Latimer represents great value and an exciting project in a vibrant offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

With the 90th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvgOz3Q3tWdKMYOshF1Rck0JL1SAQJnYVY425Vr_LZTmJaHBbw3TZ_nAVh

Dakota Dozier, LT, Furman

hi-res-6955f008d5eed670ae46e6b3339c98e8_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

The key need of safety addressed in the first, Indianapolis move on another area of weakness with their second pick- the interior line.

Stacked with receiving options, both short and deep, Luck's big remaining concern is his protection and Dozier will help here greatly. Dozier will make the step inside in the NFL, his size will necessitate this. Against more athletic opponents Dozier was outright dominant at times, using his power to maintain leverage and manhandle opposition. Quick at the outset and explosive, Dozier's athleticism make him a potential star in the pass and run blocking game. Both huge areas of concern for the Colts.

Concerns include the level of competition he faced and a truly awful combine where his numbers ranked near the bottom across the board. Still, he's a huge talent and well worthy of an early round pick.

Advertisement