Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English imports more expensive insurance?

• 27-01-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all, My Golf GTI is currently for sale :( need a diesel for commuting reasons, I was going to go up the north or across to England to take a new car back home! Probably just up the north as its much less hassle! But anyway I was wondering will the insurance company charge me more to insure an English origin car than an Irish one?? EG an Opel astra CDTI 1.9 150BHP as compared to a Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTI 150BHP. They are in principle exactly the same car. The reason I ask this is I know someone with a type R civic originally from Japan as in registered there for years then brought over here and the insurance is much higher as its an import! wondering would this be the same or different as its not japanese!

Thanks

Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Reason the Type R was more expensive is because Japanese imports have no immobilizer and can be robbed easily compared to the UK/Irish models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm on my second UK imported car and have never found insurance to be more expensive because of that fact. In fact I have told insurance companies that it is a UK spec when getting quotes and all of them said it makes no difference.

Japanese imports are a different kettle of fish. Japan historically didn't have a high rate of car theft so car security was not a huge factor for them. Most of the stuff up to the early 2000s would not have had an immobiliser fitted making them a higher risk. Insurance companies also don't like Japanese imports because they were not built to European specifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Reason the Type R was more expensive is because Japanese imports have no immobilizer and can be robbed easily compared to the UK/Irish models.

Eh..? So if you fit an immobiliser, your insurance will be the same..?

I think not. The main reason they want more insurance is to stop people bringing them into the country. Thus keeping your money firmly in the Irish market.

Its a conspiracy I tells ya..!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Went checking quotes there last week. Some companies like 123 simply will not insure me. Their reason being is I have an import, and they don't take them for new business, which the rep came straight out with. I have a 1.9 TDI Passat and when I rang Aviva they gave some story about needing 3 years no claims on that engine size due to my age, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is to do with it being an Import too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Eh..? So if you fit an immobiliser, your insurance will be the same..?

I think not. The main reason they want more insurance is to stop people bringing them into the country. Thus keeping your money firmly in the Irish market.

Its a conspiracy I tells ya..!

There is no conspiracy.

They charge more because they see the risk as being higher. Insurance companies don't like anything that doesn't conform to the standards set out by EU regulations. It's an unknown risk to them. A JDM car which was never intended to be sold in the EU doesn't adhere to EU specifications/requirements. Different countries/regions have different standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

your not suffering much depreciation on that golf your selling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There is also the fact many insurance companies underwriters are European Mainland based and when looking at things from a "European" perspective that is traditionally left hand drive then those JDM cars seem even more exotic and risky.

Advertisement