Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underground Concrete Rainwater Tank

• 27-10-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a domestic build (some self build\some direct labour) at some point before the end of year. I'm considering building an underground concrete tank for rainwater harvesting while having my groundworks done. A plastic tank won't fit the bill as the walls of the tank will serve as a retaining wall for a drop in levels at rear boundary of site (without the tank, I'd still need to get shuttering to build a retaining wall, so may as well build 4 walls of a tank while I'm at it).

The water table is quite high where I'm building but even then only about a foot of the tank will be below this level.
    The question I have is, if I make the tank out of poured reinforced concrete, how do I waterproof this? A paint on solution, glass fibre products, an additive to the concrete mix etc?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 cullym

I've found some good information here

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingandstructuresspecificationspdfformat/

Look at spec S171 for rainwater harvesting and you'll see refs to other specs for tank construction, concrete specs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

What size is the tank your looking to install. I've just completed waterproofing a domestic basement on my self build. If you want to PM I've looked at a ton of waterproofing options and have prices from most the major products. Doubt I can name them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

cullym wrote: »
    I've found some good information here

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildingandstructuresspecificationspdfformat/

Look at spec S171 for rainwater harvesting and you'll see refs to other specs for tank construction, concrete specs etc.

Cheers cullym. Never would have thought to look there. I'll re-read over the information you linked to but at first glance I didn't see anything about waterproofing the tanks, but still good info. on the concrete requirement and some filter information too.

hexosan wrote: »
    What size is the tank your looking to install. I've just completed waterproofing a domestic basement on my self build. If you want to PM I've looked at a ton of waterproofing options and have prices from most the major products. Doubt I can name them there.

PM sent hexosan.
    Haven't any firm plans for the size of the tank I want to install yet. Will firm that up when I see what sort of prices I'm looking at for waterproofing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

@hexosan can you forward on that pm to me also

• Advertisement

@rampantbunny I'm just coming back round to looking at this now for my own needs, did you make any progress with this.

cullym wrote: »
    @rampantbunny I'm just coming back round to looking at this now for my own needs, did you make any progress with this.

I built a tank. Pretty massive (too big for my domestic water needs but there are other uses for it).

I ordered concrete and specified that a mixture be added to waterproof the product. Contains fibres and looks the part at least. 250mm of concrete in the walls and even more in the base...but because the fella working the concrete doesn't believe in using a poker, there is still a small leak. For the price I paid I'm still well happy though.

@rampantbunny, thanks for the reply. Could you let me know what admix you used? If you can't post on here can you PM me please?

Thanks

cullym

Advertisement