Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Zombie hunters!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

3. 20 zombies in the distance with a sniper rifle. (but with no fence for defense).
    REWARD: Farm with supplies a plenty and a wind turbine

Question.

Are the Zs a distance fromthe Farm or are they in the farm and you have to kill them from the distance.

Would love the Farm BUT once you fire off the 20 shots +, (Lets face it ant going to get head shot everytime) you would have to stay away form the farm for a few hours if not a Day. The Gun shots could\would draw more nearby Zs there. Since there is no defences you would be asking for trouble, to move into the farm house straight away.

You could alway build you own fences after you take the farm BUT that would take days to get it strong enought to hold back the Zs

ok there are no fences, but its a farm, there are many possible elevated positions where you can position yourself out of harms way but with a clear line of sight on the z's.

i'd be counting on the sound of the rifle drawing them closer to me, i'd be comfortable with my ability to make head shots at 100 -150 m using a 7.62, if its a .50 at that range center mass shots should be good enough to completely imobilise the.

quick question re option 2, what sort of vehicle?
    I wouldn't risk it for a cincequento/hyundai, but a landcruiser/unimog might tempt me

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk it for a cincequento/hyundai, but a landcruiser/unimog might tempt me

I bet my fully tanked Cincequnto would go further than your fully tanked Land Rover :p

All bets are off if my car is yellow though, feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

ok there are no fences, but its a farm, there are many possible elevated positions where you can position yourself out of harms way but with a clear line of sight on the z's.

i'd be counting on the sound of the rifle drawing them closer to me, i'd be comfortable with my ability to make head shots at 100 -150 m using a 7.62, if its a .50 at that range center mass shots should be good enough to completely imobilise the.

I am leaning towards one of those Tesco home delivery vans full to the brim, cause I'm feeling generous today, tomorrow it will be a reliant robin full of Del Boy's merchandise.

I bet my fully tanked Cincequnto would go further than your fully tanked Land Rover :p

All bets are off if my car is yellow though, feck that.

twin l/r tanks on a landcruiser can hold 240L
    cincequento holds 35L

4.2 diesel 200 series cruiser 12L/100km
    1.1 cincequento 6L/100km

so the cruiser burns twice as much fuel, but holds 6 times more, 3:1 ratio on refueling range, HA, I win this round mr dolenz

odds on the cincequento is yellow that was a popular colour for those, next most common was that sickly green.

however

5 Z's for a tescos delivery van full to the gills with food and medical supplies and a free handgun, I might just change my vote :D

2.0 ford transit 280 lwb with pantec box- fuel capacity 80L, consumption 8L/100km. still better than the fiat:p

oh and just for the craic
    reliant robin 850cc. 27L tank 5L/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You lost me at yellow. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'd go with No.3, I'm a target shooter anyway so it would be natural enough for me. It's the toughest of the options though..the thinking man's choice really...a lot of variables in play.

Thread needs poll

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Option 3 for me.

I can use my Remington 700 out to about 600 yards, but if gunfire draws them shambling along to the tree I'm up in, my .22 CZ will pop heads at 100 yards in...

Then I'm getting a big digger and trenching around my new farm, spikes and trench and one way in or out, I'm holding that site!

A silenced .22 or .17HMR and I am happy to clip zed heads all day out to about 150yards, very quiet and easy to carry lots of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

Has to be number 3 - NRA qualified as a marksman a few years back on .22's (sub-sonic, so less noise, no exit, so less mess) ... plus a zombie head is about the same size as a standard rabbit - so I've had plenty of practice in the 100 - 300 yard range on those little fellows around the drumlins up home... the problem would be if their angle of approach is very wide ... if they are 360 round you then you are at a major disadvantage re positioning all the time. As they said in the book .. one round, one head, one per second ... would want me brother with me on the shotgun for the close ups though (just like old times).

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

seamie mac wrote: »
    Has to be number 3 - NRA qualified as a marksman a few years back on .22's (sub-sonic, so less noise, no exit, so less mess) .

as a NRA qualified marksman what are your views on people picking 3 yet having no experience using a sniper rifle ,for average joe youd need to picking the mini gun yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

Option 4 sounds tough - lots of hardware but lots of Z's as well .. all guns take practice to master yet vast majority of us (myself included) have never had to use them for self defence. If this was early days in the infestation then an ordinary joe would probably take Option 1 and work on either handgun or rifle skills when you get through the first few days and manage to locate said firearm (given the non proliferation of them here as opposed to US etc - plus these days I dont even have a .22 to hand any more). Its not on the list but I really dig that crossbow in the Walking Dead :) - but maybe with more than just the 4 bolts he ever seems to have with him at any one time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

NRA qualified as a marksman a few years back on .22's

Appleseed shoots?
    Learning on a .22 subsonic is great to build skills without noise or recoil making a flinch reaction take hold!
    Modern ballistic software on the phone, with a mil-dot reticle 'scope on the gun, makes some tricky shots doable.

The hard part for beginners is to hold steady enough and break the shot when everything is lined up.
    Holding the breath too long and passing out, hesitatiing too long to take the shot, squeezing the trigger like a loon only to realise the safety is on ...all very common mistakes.
    Luckily .22 ammo is cheap and it doesn't take much instruction to make a new user a safe and competent shooter.

Appleseed shoots?
    Learning on a .22 subsonic is great to build skills without noise or recoil making a flinch reaction take hold!
    Modern ballistic software on the phone, with a mil-dot reticle 'scope on the gun, makes some tricky shots doable.

The hard part for beginners is to hold steady enough and break the shot when everything is lined up.
    Holding the breath too long and passing out, hesitatiing too long to take the shot, squeezing the trigger like a loon only to realise the safety is on ...all very common mistakes.
    Luckily .22 ammo is cheap and it doesn't take much instruction to make a new user a safe and competent shooter.

the way i see it you shouldn't be having to deal with tricky shots if you planned ahead.

in scenario 3 you find the farm and the rifle.

let's say its a traditional irish farm with a few barns and machinery sheds, and the rifle you have is an SMLE with 100 rounds.

before you enter the farm you would have familiarised yourself with the weapon and the layout of the farmyard. you will have taken stock of your supply situation and gathered whatever food and water you have along with your weather proof clothing.

you would then have stealthily entered the farm and taken a position on the roof or loft of one of the out lying sheds,

once in position you will begin despatching z's. you have food, water weather proof clothing and security, be prepared to remain on the roof/loft for a day or two.

the sound of the rifle should eventually draw all 20 to your position, they will be swarming below you making their disposal relatively simple.

once you can see 20 corpses, climb down and begin fortifying your new residence

simples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

2 for me I have an okay shot and if the are only shambling around then I can reposition after each shot if i need to
    and I'm a country boy so my z day plan has always been fortified farm and spend the apocalypse working away (the distraction will keep me sane I hope).

I'm assume it'll be a run of the mills hunting rifle which will be part of my z day kit anyway. low caliber so accuracy is needed, I could if need be kill some game first and use that to lure the zombies to an open spot where i could pick them off from high ground or a roof

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

4 with a clear route set up for the fight ending on top of a roof top with the machine gun set up controlling a corridor / staircase or similar. The idea is quite simple really; you mount the gun on a location that you can control your environment on coming in by solid walls and limited access point into and make sure the area is clear with the use of a shotgun.

Once there you make a basic board up and cover it (keeping in mind Zombies have no reason to break in there if you're not there and giving you a warning if something has come in) as retreat position and go hunting in town. Your goal is to channel the zombies behind you while using your shotgun to keep your back clear towards your safety point (1 shotgun will be left towards the safety point and the third at the entrance to your safety house to limit how much you carry).

As you start to get 10+ zombies somewhat grouped up you use the 'nades (one by one) and make sure you're at a corner (cleared) before you throw or roll them (depending on surface and distance required) to avoid being caught in the explosion yourself, add a second one if needed. Run back 50m and rinse, repeat until you're down to final 2 'nades and by this stage most, if not all zombies in town should be converging to your safehouse.

Second last 'nade you use after your minigun (which will go through multiple zombies and only fired in bursts) run out of ammo to clear the staircase / corridor before you retreat to the roof. On the roof with your final shotgun and 'nade you make a final stand head butting zombies (first choice or what ever suitable weapon you picked up on your way through town) or shooting them (second choice) as needed with your shotty. The final 'nade is if you get overwhelmed to blow yourself up with as many zombies you can.

The key is to plan ahead how you want to engage the zombies in the town and lead them to you and utilize your ammo as efficent as possible. Once the initial rush is stopped and nothing else comes for an hour it's clean up time to make sure they are all dead. First stop once out of the house would be a suitable store to get steel toe boots and other protective gear before going out for mop up duty on half blown up zombies with the use of a pike or similar long range melee weapon to keep them away from me and destory their heads with out expending ammo.

I see loads of words, but all i'm reading is run around like a loon blowing stuff up, then back yourself into a corner and chew down on a grenade.

i'm not in favour of any plan where the exit strategy is blowing myself up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Depends on how worried I'd need to be about humans. Number 3 would be good, but defending a farm by yourself against an attack would be difficult. Advantages are good in the long run, but it's a target that you have to defend against others. Sniper rifle won't be much use then.

I'd probably be safe and choose number 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I see loads of words, but all i'm reading is run around like a loon blowing stuff up, then back yourself into a corner and chew down on a grenade.

i'm not in favour of any plan where the exit strategy is blowing myself up
    Well the option 1 is to go in close which is a no go. Option 2 require me to hit something that's very close with a single shot pistol and I'll be shaking and shocked which is also not a good idea. 3 require me to rely on hitting at huge distances and over long time while a zombie may hit me in the back any time and then farm the whole place solo which is unlikely to work out very well long term leaving option 4. Yea, chewing a 'nade may be what happens in the end but at least I'd have easier to aim weapons (shotties, minigun in closed corridor and 'nades) to counter my shaking and a way to end it all if things go bad (rather then having to live through being torn to pieces by zombies).

So option 4 it has to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

10 times out of 10 im gonna choose number 4 and thats the truth.

ind the highest structure in town, probably the church tower, drop 2 of the SPAS locked and loaded up here, leave a third down the bottom of the steps. Final one slung on my back us the way i like it.

Recon the **** out of the town and mark vehicles your gonna eventually want to commandeer, keep away from it for the time being, shrapnel or a spray from a .30 minigun will immobilize it very quickly if your aim is off

Back to the tower, have yourself 4 of your nades placed around the tower in a wave like fashion several meters apart with fishing line tied on as a trip wire. Your early warning system aka nades blowing up will be an excellent way to know when you need to start thinking of the SPAS at the bottom of the stairs.

Water, high sugar foods and a combat/ kitchen knife up in the tower with you. Use the chalk o mark your kill count, you dont wanna go outside without a very good estimate as to how many you took out and how many nades went off.

use the SPAS to fire a sounder shot out, keep yourself keen, minigun the **** outta the SOBs as they begin to approach but don't get trigger happy, 3 - 4 bullets should saw a zombies in half. The Tripod should help keep your cross hairs on and you should be good up to a distance of 300 feet.

Any mobs, plant a grenade in amongst them remembering to keep 2 for defense.

Once you hear your trips going, down the stairs with the SPAS, start blowing til empy. If you get a reload in, keep going, otherwise, back on up the stairs. Use the knife at this stage with any that might be on you. If possible, try slash the forehead, blind a few of them with blood. Kick them back down the stairs. A few blind zombies not knowing which way to go should slow up the rest of the herd.

Alternate between minigun for mid range and shotty for staircase creepers all the while keeping count.

Once you got most of them, go on the attack with the shottys around town.

You should have them all done in now. Find a nice concrete building, get your supplies into it, rig the doors and stairs with the remaining nades and bunker down for the night. All them shots might attract rapists and murderers, don't leave yourself unprotected. The mini gun should be well hidden at this stage in case you get captured, its your bargaining tool.

Dollars to dough nuts your gonna make it out alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'd go with 4. This is a group of just over 100 people,

20080207_ftr1_2.jpg

If they stayed in a horde, you could use the grenades to make holes they would fall into and then you can shoot them and go plunder the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Hope im not straying too far off the original thread but considering a lot of us here are in the rep of eire our options are gonna be pretty limited. Realistically your looking at a bat, a hurley, a shotgun or a rifle. All this talk of miniguns and the likes is just video game stuff. Nothing wrong with the hurl or bat for a last stand but you really don't stand much of a chance. The shotgun is too noisy and most of them only hold two rounds unless your lucky enough to to have a semi auto. No chance of a handgun in this country unless you own one and it will likely be .22 calibre which in a handgun will lack the accuracy and punch to be any real use. Last but not least the rifle. In my opinion the .22 rifle is what you need to have. Subsonic rounds coupled with a surpressor will make this a silent zombie killer. Pull the trigger and all you hear is a click. deady accurate out to 100 meters so headshots wont be a problem and you wont attract the zombie horde with noise. You will carry several hundred rounds in your pockets and there easily got. Any centrefire rifle will be too loud. Even a 223 is incredibly loud and a 270 or 308 can be heard for miles (I know ive fired them all). So if the shtf and your lucky enough to own a 22 stock up on ammo and count yourself lucky! Again sorry for straying off the original thread and of course all of this is only a what if scenario and my opinion could be complete nonsense. night all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Ah yes but foxer, your .22 at a hundred meters is 150 meters too close for my likings.

Give me a larger caliber rifle any day. At least if I miss the head, I may hit center mass and something larger has a good chance of severing the spinal column.

Also, give me a samuri sword over a hurl any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'd go with 4. This is a group of just over 100 people,

If they stayed in a horde, you could use the grenades to make holes they would fall into and then you can shoot them and go plunder the town.

Grenades are a fragmentation weapon. They dont make "holes" as such

Advertisement