Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car battery

• 28-05-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I bought a portable power station and engine started , the model is Streetwise Accessories. Its basically a portable battery that can jump start a car when its battery dies.
    Here is a link to the product :
    http://www.streetwizeaccessories.com/car-accessories-details/0/All-Categories/19/Portable-Power-Stations/0/all-categories/3/1130/Portable-Power-Station-&-Engine-Starter-with-LED-Work-Light/

My problem is with the instructions, it tells me to attach the red cable to the positive battery terminal but it tells my not to attach the black negative to the negative terminal in the battery instead attach it to a non moving metal part of the engine.

That doesn’t sound right to me , Ive jumped started cars before with portable batteries and normal jump cables and have always attached the negative to the negative.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these power batteries?

I don’t want to blow my battery or electrocute myself if I have to use this battery, the instructions are very unclear.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

perfectly normal to earth the block or body of the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Im never amazed that most people dont realise you are NOT supposed to attach the neg lead to the neg terminal on the boosted battery but to a metal part of the car elsewhere.
    Hydrogen gas is exhausted by the battery and can ignite, so while it probably wont happen, it can.

If you do as you have been doing, a spark will occur at the battery. It will start your car, assuming a fire hasn't broken out.

The instructions sound clear and accurate to me. Just because previous instructions have not included this or they were not seen does not mean it is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blahblahbla

perfectly normal to earth the block or body of the car

What do you mean by "the block"?
    When you say body of the car do you mean the bonnet or something ?
    If I do this will the bonnet be dangerous to touch?

Is it wrong to link both negitives together when jumpstarting, will this damage my car? this is what Ive done up till now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

The block is the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blahblahbla

Merch wrote: »

If you do as you have been doing, a spark will occur at the battery. It will start your car, assuming a fire hasn't broken out.
    QUOTE]

I didnt relise this, When I did my driving test my instructor told me to link the negs and thats the way my ol fella does it,

Whats a good part of the car to attach the black end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

As stated already, the reason you dont put the neg cable on the battery itself is to avoid sparks while making the connection igniting any gas that surrounds the battery.When you put the neg connection on the ENGINE BLOCK of the car with the flat battery (thats the best not the car body), it wouldn't become live so you are quite safe.This is the proper and safe way to connect a power pack or regular jump leads for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Merch wrote: »

QUOTE]

Whats a good part of the car to attach the black end?

Any bolt or metal part or on some cars there is a ring on the engine too

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

what they want you to do is to be as far away from the battery as the leads will allow in case the battery blows for whatever reason, its good practice thats all, putting the clamp on the negative is normally fine but when you observe the proper way you really make it look like you know what you are doing and then your friends will make sure to call you again and that might not be the best thing. Jump starting a renault for the first time a year or two ago had my neighbour rightly flummoxed, there I was attaching both clamps to places where no battery could be found and yet the car started. :D

Advertisement