Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Audi A5 1.8T or 08 BMW 520D?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Both very different cars I know but having a hard time time deciding between them. Hope to find a 156 euro tax 520D if going that route. Price rules out the A5 2.0 TDI.
    So what are your opinions? What would rule out one in favor of the other? I know the A5 has had window regulator problems and a lad I know had to have 2 replaced in the space of 2 months. What other issues with either model should I be looking out for? What about timing belt changes?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I've owned cars with the same engines (1.8t and 2.0d.) They are both really solid. Slight turbo lag in both but the BMW will give you alot more mpg and around the same power although the 2.0d is a little underpowered for the size of the 5 series (the same could also be said about the 1.8 in the Audi). Depends how you drive. BMW will have more torque which is better for motorway driving. The only drawback is it's going to sound like a tractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 RugGol

Bear in mind that the new 5 series was released in 2010 so the 2008 model will get dated looking very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Personally, i'd sooner a 320d than either. Between the two you mention, though, i'd take the BMW. I'd also prefer the higher-tax car - it'll be cheaper to buy, and there's no DPF to need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd have the BMW easily

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive got an 08 1.8T A5 and I will not be buying another. If you want an A5, get one with quattro. Having said that, I wouldnt take a 520d as a swap so make of that what you will.

The 3.0 tdi A5 quattro is a much better car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I would choose the A5 for it's fantastic looks and won't let you down on performance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id choose the audi for the engine but the BMW for everything else ,

how about a 520i or a 525 ? or a 530d ? something with a real engine

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Davd

Not really interested in a larger engine, have a 350z at the moment but 90% city driving so looking for comfort over poke.
    Anyone know how the A5 compares to the 520D in terms of maintenance? re there any problems with either?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Buddy of mine has an A5 1.8t.. Swore ...NEVER again...!
    Cannot get rid of it for love nor money

Head for the BM :cool:

** EDIT **
    Thats bloody ironic..!! :eek:
    Davd wrote: »
    Not really interested in a larger engine, have a 350z at the moment but 90% city driving so looking for comfort over poke.

Thats exactly what my buddy had
    A 350Z.. and traded it in against the A5 :pac:

General maintenance on the A5 is cheap. Apart from that, problems with mine have been -
    Window regulator outside warranty - audi paid half.

During warranty:
    Ignition key socket had to be changed
    Aircon dumped all its gas
    Drivers seat backrest foam went to bits (looked like there was 150k miles on the car (there was only 25k)

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Buddy of mine has an A5 1.8t.. Swore ...NEVER again...!
    Cannot get rid of it for love nor money

Head for the BM :cool:

** EDIT **
    Thats bloody ironic..!! :eek:

Thats exactly what my buddy had
    A 350Z.. and traded it in against the A5 :pac:

So why can't he shift the A5 and what's he looking for? Can't get rid of it? Try getting rid of a 350z! :o

mickdw wrote: »
    General maintenance on the A5 is cheap. Apart from that, problems with mine have been -
    Window regulator outside warranty - audi paid half.

During warranty:
    Ignition key socket had to be changed
    Aircon dumped all its gas
    Drivers seat backrest foam went to bits (looked like there was 150k miles on the car (there was only 25k)

Seems like a lot of problems with a low mileage 2/3 year old car...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

So why can't he shift the A5 and what's he looking for? Can't get rid of it? Try getting rid of a 350z! :o

Looked at trading it in some months back.. He was offered little over 20k for it against a new BMW.. He paid around 53k for it and not big mileage on it either..
    As above post
    He replace
    Window reg
    ignition gage trouble

vectra wrote: »
    Looked at trading it in some months back.. He was offered little over 20k for it against a new BMW.. He paid around 53k for it and not big mileage on it either..
    As above post
    He replace
    Window reg
    ignition gage trouble

Mine retailed at 54.5k when I bought it Paid. Knocked 3k off on straight sale. Its just 3 years since april with 51k miles on it. I guess it worth 23 /24k maybe now.
    The change in car prices distorts stuff though. When I was buying 520d was around 56 /57k. They are significantly cheaper now so the value of the trade in was always going to collapse.

Seems like a lot of problems with a low mileage 2/3 year old car...

I didnt get to the stuff about the 1.8T being a disaster with regard to wheel hop & tramlining type steering pull. I cannot run the same tyres front and back. Hard sidewall tyres cannot be steered on mayo roads on 18" rims on this car. Other cars are fine. Stick some softer walled tyres and the back end becomes really unstable on turn in so Im now running harder sidewalls at the back and a bit more give at the front end. Takes a bit of the sharpness out of it but wrestling the car on every journey gets tiring so its the best option.
    Also the brake guards are an aerodynamic design which is great for cooling I guess but you can get your fingers between the disc and the guard in places due to the shape and this causes stones to be trapped regularily leading to that terrible grinding noise.
    Stick a passenger in the front seat and the wheel hop goes away. Dont let the salesman sit in front if test driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone know how the A5 compares to the 520D in terms of maintenance? re there any problems with either?

You are just asking for trouble buying a diesel car doing 90% city driving. They are not designed for city driving and any small savings you make at the pump will be irrelevent to the price of a new DPF.

Also I would not be hung up on cars costing €156 to tax, that is minut compared to forking out over €20k for the pleasure of owning one.

Most of you seem to be in favor of the 520D. Anyone have any bad experiences with this car?
    Seem to be a few common problems with the A5 but the key fob replacement is one I haven't heard before. A friend has a 09 A4 and has had to have the AirCon system replaced after a major issue, not sure of the details but could be the same problem that mickdw had with his A.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    You are just asking for trouble buying a diesel car doing 90% city driving. They are not designed for city driving and any small savings you make at the pump will be irrelevent to the price of a new DPF.

Also I would not be hung up on cars costing €156 to tax, that is minut compared to forking out over €20k for the pleasure of owning one.

I suppose I should have been more clear on city driving, with the hours I work, it is mostly free flowing traffic, wouldn't be stationary/rush hour traffic. I'm not hung up on the tax or pump saving either as I'll be coming from €1566 tax so I'd be fine with anything under €600 to tax. I don't do the mileage either to rule out petrol engines. But what I would like is a decent resale value and from looking at both of these cars, they seem pretty equal in terms of depreciation, maybe the Audi holding on to value a little more.

Thanks for the help so far lads, starting to lead towards the BMW but have come across some nice A5's...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The e60 520d is everywhere, getting sick of seeing them (ok I already am). Ive always had a soft spot for that A5 2.0T (Petrol) that was doing 38-42mpg. Should be much better than the 1.8T.

I wouldnt touch a FWD A5 though, mickdw's front wheel hop antics are legendary. :P

Driving dynamics.. I find it hard to believe anyone could prefer a small diesel engine RWD over such a nice (2.0T) petrol engine in a quattro. Yes, I love RWD too, but thats only one aspect of the car. Quattros are hilarious in the wet and snow too, was very fun driving in this morning. Diesels need to be 3litre and above to get interesting. Coming from a 350z you need to put a different spin on some of the responses IMO, your benchmark is (/should be) quite different to the norm. My brother has a 350z too, so I know the car well enough, its torquey but also revvy, the 520d will seem like quite the lame duck in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Can any one explain to me how a 520i is better than a 520D or than the sound it makes.It has less power, costs more to tax and less fuel efficient. OK its a small 4 cylinder diesel but it puts out 177bhp (hardly a lame duck) and is fuel and tax efficient. Kind of what most people are looking for these days.525 or 530d are great cars but not a huge choice in Ireland and they are asking for a big premium over the 520D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

veetwin wrote: »
    Can any one explain to me how a 520i is better than a 520D or than the sound it makes.It has less power, costs more to tax and less fuel efficient. OK its a small 4 cylinder diesel but it puts out 177bhp (hardly a lame duck) and is fuel and tax efficient. Kind of what most people are looking for these days.525 or 530d are great cars but not a huge choice in Ireland and they are asking for a big premium over the 520D
    Welcome to boards.ie, where 184bhp in a 520d is pathetic, joke-like and not fit to move the car, where as 170bhp in a Superb is an awesome choice, possibly the best car money can buy, a 523i is a fantastic choice despite it being a rather leisurely 170bhp, and buying the entry level car is stupid, why don't you spend another €15,000 on extras, of which you'll see back a good €800 when trading in the car in 2 years time!

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie, where 184bhp in a 520d is pathetic, joke-like and not fit to move the car, where as 170bhp in a Superb is an awesome choice, possibly the best car money can buy,

There is a discussion on another thread about how great the 105bhp Superb is and how there is a 6 month waiting list for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

City driving?

Ah here now, what you need is a 6 litre V12 luxobarge from about 20 years ago... an old S-class or a 7 series would do the job nicely... some great value out there! :rolleyes:

veetwin wrote: »
    Can any one explain to me how a 520i is better than a 520D or than the sound it makes.It has less power, costs more to tax and less fuel efficient. OK its a small 4 cylinder diesel but it puts out 177bhp (hardly a lame duck) and is fuel and tax efficient. Kind of what most people are looking for these days.
    If you are referring to me (as I said lame duck), then I was comparing the 280-310bhp 3.5 V6 in the 350z to the 177bhp odd 520d engine. Its a good solid choice, but so so dull. The 208bhp A5 2.0T would be much nicer to drive, remaps quite well too.
    There is no point in talking about what "most people are looking for".. most people arent moving from a Zed car. Most people suck.

Saying that I would have no interest in a 520i (or 523i or whatever they call it these days) either, of the 2 the 520d is a much better choice.
    Welcome to boards.ie, where 184bhp in a 520d is pathetic, joke-like and not fit to move the car, where as 170bhp in a Superb is an awesome choice, possibly the best car money can buy,
    I think the 3.6L FSI V6 Superb running on LPG would be the best compromise in the Superb lineup... Besides, what do you want here, the world and it aunt is gushing over 520d's and Skoda's alike, we dont need to add to the noise recommending the stupidly boring and obvious choice.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The e60 520d is everywhere, getting sick of seeing them (ok I already am). Ive always had a soft spot for that A5 2.0T (Petrol) that was doing 38-42mpg. Should be much better than the 1.8T.

I wouldnt touch a FWD A5 though, mickdw's front wheel hop antics are legendary. :P

Driving dynamics.. I find it hard to believe anyone could prefer a small diesel engine RWD over such a nice (2.0T) petrol engine in a quattro. Yes, I love RWD too, but thats only one aspect of the car. Quattros are hilarious in the wet and snow too, was very fun driving in this morning. Diesels need to be 3litre and above to get interesting. Coming from a 350z you need to put a different spin on some of the responses IMO, your benchmark is (/should be) quite different to the norm. My brother has a 350z too, so I know the car well enough, its torquey but also revvy, the 520d will seem like quite the lame duck in comparison.

Had a look at the 2.0T A5 but am I right in saying they came out in 2009 and so a little out of my price range and a quattro would push that even further out of my price range.
    Just wondering why you say diesels need to be 3 liter before they get interesting? On paper - BMW 520D: 175Bhp, 350Nm torque, 0-100kph 8.3 sec and Audi 1.8T: 170Bhp, 250Nm torque, 0-100kph 8.4 sec. I realize that neither would be a patch on the 350z performance wise but if it was performance I was looking for, then I wouldn't be looking at the Audi or BMW...
    Responses I was looking for were along the lines of Mickdw's and his wheel hop problems and anything I should be looking for while testing driving either car.
    Thanks again.

If you are referring to me (as I said lame duck), then I was comparing the 280-310bhp 3.5 V6 in the 350z to the 177bhp odd 520d engine.

In fairness most cars on the road on would be a lame duck compared to the 350Z

Had a look at the 2.0T A5 but am I right in saying they came out in 2009 and so a little out of my price range and a quattro would push that even further out of my price range.
    Just wondering why you say diesels need to be 3 liter before they get interesting? On paper - BMW 520D: 175Bhp, 350Nm torque, 0-100kph 8.3 sec and Audi 1.8T: 170Bhp, 250Nm torque, 0-100kph 8.4 sec.
    You might be right on the 2.0T, Id have to scale back what I said just to "not a FWD" model then. I wasnt comparing the 1.8T to the 520d, but I would be (sadly) still leaning on a tuned quattro 1.8T over the presumably more expensive diesel BMW. You driving doesnt benefit from diesel.
    You quote engine specs, thats all well and good, but have you actually driven a 4pot diesel for any length of time? They are not "interesting". They are frugal, thats the point..

Still your pigeon-holing of choices here is bizarre, you want a cheap to tax car but are spending around EUR20,000 on it...? Have you considered the cost of depreciation in there at all? Let alone cost of loans if required.
    Considering a 335/535d could be had for near EUR15k or so, seems like you are downgrading and spending are lot of money to save pennys.

I realize that neither would be a patch on the 350z performance wise but if it was performance I was looking for, then I wouldn't be looking at the Audi or BMW...
    Can only lol at this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I think the 3.6L FSI V6 Superb running on LPG would be the best compromise in the Superb lineup... Besides, what do you want here, the world and it aunt is gushing over 520d's and Skoda's alike, we dont need to add to the noise recommending the stupidly boring and obvious choice.
    I wouldn't consider a slightly ugly, unreliable and poor handling A5 with a reasonable engine as a fantastic choice over an OK looking, fairly well sorted saloon with a sensible (dull!) engine, but overall I do get your sentiment. But as he said, if he wanted performance, it'd be elsewhere he'd look.

I wouldn't consider a slightly ugly, unreliable and poor handling A5 with a reasonable engine as a fantastic choice over an OK looking, fairly well sorted saloon with a sensible (dull!) engine, but overall I do get your sentiment. But as he said, if he wanted performance, it'd be elsewhere he'd look.
    I said they were both poor choices, "fantastic" was never mentioned! The iffy handling on the A5 is largely a FWD problem.
    Reliability is much of a muchness, a diesel BMW vs a petrol Audi. Neither are particularly reliable.

Also I and I guess many people dont find the A5 "ugly looking".. if I did it wouldnt get a look in at all. I generally like Walter d'Silva's car designs though and he himself likes the A5 most of all of his work.

Just to comment in favour of the A5 for a change, mine is 3 years old, it gets driven reasonably hard and on bad mayo road (although with a large degree of mechanical sympathy too). It has not deteriorated in any way over the 50k miles. Hasnt needed so much as a D bush yet. No rattles or squeaks from suspension or the car interior and after throwing many sets of new tyres at it & a set of wheels, it is now a better car to drive than when supplied new. Perhaps it will go on for many years without (m)any more problems now that the faults that they all have are fixed. NO timing belt to worry about either so that is a benefit too.

Was seriously considering a 07 A8 diesel of late but the bills are a killer by all accounts.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Perhaps it will go on for many years without (m)any more problems now that the faults that they all have are fixed. NO timing belt to worry about either so that is a benefit too.

About time to get it remapped and fit an LSD to control that FWD! Consider it a big Alfa 156 GTA... :pac:

Advertisement