Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Any of us who stared out on the couch 2 5k program are familiar of the doubts leading up to W5 R 3 and the feelings once completed successfully .. I think its the day most of us realise that the goal of 30 minutes non stop running is achievable. Well done Mrs Positron

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I started C25K - ZenLabs version - two weeks ago. Just finished Week 2 this morning.

I'm trying not to think too far ahead - like a sports-person just thinking of the next game, not the final. Week 3 seems daunting. I'll be starting that on Monday.

But two weeks ago, I wouldn't have believed i could even run for 90 seconds, so pleased with the progress so far.

Anybody else who uses Zen, is the Pro version worth the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

quickbeam wrote: »
    Week 3 seems daunting. I'll be starting that on Monday.

But two weeks ago, I wouldn't have believed i could even run for 90 seconds, so pleased with the progress so far.

Anybody else who uses Zen, is the Pro version worth the money?

I started week 3 this morning quickbeam and was worried I wouldnt be able to finish it, The 3 minute jog seemed scary. It was my most enjoyable jog yet and I was very pleased with myself.

Im using the same version as you and I dont have the pro version. I plan on finishing the 5K and then getting the upgraded version of the 10 K.

My overall goal is to complete a half marathon in the Great Limerick Run next April. If all goes well with that I might train for the full marathon in Dublin next October.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The Muppet wrote: »
    Any of us who stared out on the couch 2 5k program are familiar of the doubts leading up to W5 R 3 and the feelings once completed successfully .. I think its the day most of us realise that the goal of 30 minutes non stop running is achievable. Well done Mrs Positron

A good friend of mine just did the first 25 minute run on C25k this morning and messaged me right after. He was so excited and it brought it all back to me how tough it is at the start and how big of an achievement.

Stick with it folks, the rewards running brings just never seem to stop coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Good news:

Finished the C25K 2 weeks ago

Bad news:

Ended up with this

image_zpsyckmfyve.jpeg

Don't know what or how I did it, everything felt fine during the run but my ankle was sore as soon as I got back in to the house. 2 weeks later and the swelling is down but I still don't think I'm ready to go back running.

• Advertisement

Good news:

Finished the C25K 2 weeks ago

Bad news:

Ended up with this

image_zpsyckmfyve.jpeg

Don't know what or how I did it, everything felt fine during the run but my ankle was sore as soon as I got back in to the house. 2 weeks later and the swelling is down but I still don't think I'm ready to go back running.

Jeez that looks sore bad timing too, good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Was in London for work yesterday so didn't get to do Week 2 Day 2 but I managed to get out this evening (lashing rain again)

Wasn't as tough as Week 2 Day 1, which is great! Really enjoying this!

Did my first Week 3 run this morning. I told myself, as I tell myself at the start of each new week - don't beat yourself up if you can't do it, just try your best, and you can always repeat the week.

But I did it!! Tell me three weeks ago that I'd be able to run solidly for three minutes, I'd have laughed in your face. Baring disaster, I don't anticipate any problems completing this weeks' runs.

Did my first Week 3 run this morning. I told myself, as I tell myself at the start of each new week - don't beat yourself up if you can't do it, just try your best, and you can always repeat the week.

But I did it!! Tell me three weeks ago that I'd be able to run solidly for three minutes, I'd have laughed in your face. Baring disaster, I don't anticipate any problems completing this weeks' runs.

Well done you, you can also ease back on the pace to get through a tough run. I think it was around week 3 on the plan that clicked with me up to that I was trying to run as fast as I could every run, there's no need to do that, slow running will get you there too.

Thanks Muppet, - Oh, believe me, my pace when running is as slow as you can get! I'm thinking just make it to 5km and then I can work on speed.

• Advertisement

Thanks Muppet, - Oh, believe me, my pace when running is as slow as you can get! I'm thinking just make it to 5km and then I can work on speed.

That's the way to do it quickbeam and don't get too caught up on the 5k in 30 minutes either the big prize is running non stop for 30 minutes, I was well short of 5k when I finished the plan. Then I went for the 5k in 30 minutes.

I finished Week 3 Day 2 yesterday. Again it was much easier than the 1st run. In fact when the second 3 minute jog was finished I kept the jogging up until the 5 minute cool down. In hindsight it was probably a bad idea as I could have injured myself. But i felt so confident and energetic. 3 weeks ago I taught it would be impossible to jog for a few mintues.

I finished week 3 Yesterday. I start week 4 in the morning. Im actually looking forward to starting it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Qb what app are you using? I went for the first run in ages this morning just using runkeeper but that doesn't have any programs in the free version. Wouldn't mind trying a proper 5k program initially then going to 10k. Did just shy of 3k this morning walking and running so 5k shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

ZenLabs - free all the 8 weeks as far as I can tell.

But if it can get me running for 30mins straight, or 5kms, I'll happily pay them - they'd have deserved it, for helping me what I'd never have thought possible.

I finished Week 4 Day 1 today. I did not struggle at any stage and found it quiet rewarding.

I did Week 3 Day 2 this morning. It was pretty cold out but it felt great. 3 mins is a tough amount of time to run! But not so tough that I couldn't push myself.

Going to do Week 3 Day 3 tomorrow (on Saturday) and then hit Week 4 Day 1 on Monday morning. Really enjoying how this is going!

But if it can get me running for 30mins straight, or 5kms, I'll happily pay them - they'd have deserved it, for helping me what I'd never have thought possible.

It will definitely do what you want .
    Have you looked at the couch 25k podcasts from the nhs choices website. I used them and though there were brilliant . You are talked through each run with tips on running form and encouragement . They are free .

^^ No, I haven't. Hadn't heard of them. Thanks for the heads-up, will check them out.

Sorry I should have posted a link for you , better late than never so here it is now. http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

• Advertisement

Week 4 began today.

Firstly, I was surprised at how much I was looking forward to this run - between Friday morning when I finished WK 3 and this morning, I was really buzzing to start it. I'd NEVER been buzzed about doing exercise before.

I was also feeling a bit daunted by it: 3+5+3+5 runs! But, I made it!! Not without difficulty, but I did make it!! The last minute, especially of the 5-minute runs were tough going, and it was only sheer stubbornness that kept me moving.

This time last week, when I finished the first of my WK 3 runs, I said that, barring disaster, there should be no reason why I couldn't finish WK 3. I don't feel as confident for my next two WK 4 runs. I *should* complete them (the middle run is usually the one most difficult for me), but I'm definitely not as sure as I was last week. Here's hoping!

Delighted with myself so far though.

Nice one Quickbeam.

I have that one to look forward to tomorrow. I did Week 3 Day 3 on Saturday evening and it was ok. Looking forward to giving Week 4 Day 1 a go tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Week 3 day 1 done. The second 3 minute was tough, delighted with myself that I lasted.

Did Week 4 Day 1 this morning. It was tough, but nothing too tough! I didn't feel like I needed to stop at any point. I'm well able for the 5 min runs it turns out!

I tried Couch to 5K before and I can't remember exactly how far I got (I remember doing 8 mins anyway) but I specifically remember doing the 5 min runs last time and absolutely hating them, Being so out of breath that I wanted to sit down immediately! Not this time :)

Well done everyone.

I started week 4 day 1 last Friday and enjoyed it. Unfortunately that is where the fun stopped. I was away for a few days and packed all my running clothes but forgot my running shoes. Last Sunday I decided to start week 4 day 2 in my running clothes and a pair of converse. It was a big mistake. The converse gave no support what so ever and my right ankle and knee were sore after the run.

Yesterday I was in Salthill, Co Galway for a few hours and decided to go diving off the diving boards (I wasnt the only one,It was quiet busy)
    After about 30 mins in the water I decided to get out , I managed to cut my big toe off the rocks on the way out. Not a deep wound at all but when I went for my 3rd run of week 4 Today I could feel it rubbing against my shoe. I still managed to finish the run. But I think Il wait until Monday to start week 5. That still only puts me 2 days behind my original finish date.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

pcuser wrote: »
    Well done everyone.

I started week 4 day 1 last Friday and enjoyed it. Unfortunately that is where the fun stopped. I was away for a few days and packed all my running clothes but forgot my running shoes. Last Sunday I decided to start week 4 day 2 in my running clothes and a pair of converse. It was a big mistake. The converse gave no support what so ever and my right ankle and knee were sore after the run.

Yesterday I was in Salthill, Co Galway for a few hours and decided to go diving off the diving boards (I wasnt the only one,It was quiet busy)
    After about 30 mins in the water I decided to get out , I managed to cut my big toe off the rocks on the way out. Not a deep wound at all but when I went for my 3rd run of week 4 Today I could feel it rubbing against my shoe. I still managed to finish the run. But I think Il wait until Monday to start week 5. That still only puts me 2 days behind my original finish date.

Ouch, that's tough. Maybe apply one of the sticking plasters typically used for blisters? They have a bit of cushioning to prevent rubbing, although are usually applied to the heel. Hope Monday goes great for you.

I finished WK 4 on Friday morning (in the rain - my first experience of that!)

I had struggled to do the 5 minutes each of the three days of WK 4 - I could do it, but barely and I was wary of the following week where they'd expect me to run further. So, when I checked WK 5 (I don't check each week until the preceding one is complete), I was relieved to see that it wasn't expecting me to run further. In fact, it is arguably an easier week than previous - a total running of 15 minutes instead of 16 (5+5+5 vs 3+5+3+5). I presume this is the intention: the program is designed to give a week where you "step back" and re-affirm the ability to run 5 minutes at a time before proceeding. Anyway, I ran my 5+5+5 reasonably well, and would expect to complete it twice more to complete this week's stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I finished WK 4 on Friday morning (in the rain - my first experience of that!)

I had struggled to do the 5 minutes each of the three days of WK 4 - I could do it, but barely and I was wary of the following week where they'd expect me to run further. So, when I checked WK 5 (I don't check each week until the preceding one is complete), I was relieved to see that it wasn't expecting me to run further. In fact, it is arguably an easier week than previous - a total running of 15 minutes instead of 16 (5+5+5 vs 3+5+3+5). I presume this is the intention: the program is designed to give a week where you "step back" and re-affirm the ability to run 5 minutes at a time before proceeding. Anyway, I ran my 5+5+5 reasonably well, and would expect to complete it twice more to complete this week's stage.

I'm excited for the bit when you realise that week 5 has 3 different runs in it. :D:pac:

Ahhhh, I did not know that. I wouldn't have known until I was in the middle of it. Yikes!!!!

• Advertisement

Just read what I've to do the next two days this week. Wow!! I usually check back only once a week for the first run of the week. This time I'll report back for each day, but I reckon it might take a few tries to pass this week.

Advertisement