Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.A.D. help

Options
  • 04-12-2007 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

It's winter time, and Seasonal Affective Disorder yet again has kicked in for me...

Anyone knows where I can get myself a proper lightbox around Dublin city?
    Sick of feeling miserable and gloomy until the sun shines again...

Thank you

Lauren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Dunno if this will help but worth a look I think..... www.brighterday.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There is a medical supply shop on Talbot Street thats stocks them, was thinking I may need one myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what is a lightbox?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Do those things actually work? You plug them in as a light and sit there?¬!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Do those things actually work? You plug them in as a light and sit there?¬!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I ordered one of these for my better half a few years ago and she found it quite helpful

http://www.britebox.co.uk/

Not cheap, but if it makes the winter a bit more bearable :) If you could borrow or rent one for a while that might be an idea. Some people find them great, others don't and it's quite a bit of cash to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dawn treatment sounds like a good idea for me :) I wouldnt have even thought of it as a cause but I wont wake up without seeing daylight - which in this country for the last 7 or so years has meant that 8 months of my life are spent waking up at 1300... not good when you have to be up at 0800 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

been suffering with this for a few years now... always wondered how many people there are in ireland with it... a guy i know had it.. i was none to wiser and he pinpointed exactally what it was when i explained to him.. i wouldnt mind finding out where to get the light boxes and seeing as how i have a medical card would there be any way i could use that to aquire one..

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

I ordered my lightbox from www.brighterday.ie yesterday and should get it this afternoon.

Hopefully I'll be back to being cheerful & full of energy very soon :)

Thanks for all your help.

byebye xx
    Lauren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well if you're REALLY stuck Argos has one listed too.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0545424/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006664.Personal%2Bcare%2Band%2Bbathroom%3EC%24cip%3D1500006881.Wellbeing.htm

Says it's an "extra" item though so only certain branches will have it in stock, others you need to pre-order it.

The one Argos has is a lot cheaper than those on that brighterday site so either that site is making a mint or the Argos one may not be as effective. Either that or £STG is a lot higher to the euro than I thought.

FYI:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Around one in five Irish people are affected by SAD, according to a survey conducted in 2007. The survey also shows women are more likely to be affected by SAD than men

EDIT the argos one equates to €85. If anyone can find me a cheaper lightpod though (http://www.brighterday.ie/product.asp?numRecordPosition=4&P_ID=144&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=78) I'd owe you big time

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go for a weekly sunbed. It has an amazing effect on your mood and as a positive you will look better thant he rest of the blue skinned folk which will further the impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

phillips have a thing called a wake up light for people who suffer from this.

they have them in argos as far as i know

where do you find a tan salon though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

move out o dublin.

Overheal wrote: »
    where do you find a tan salon though

Certainly in Dublin there are a few I've spotted around, where abouts are you and hopefully someone can point out your nearest and you can post up whether it works or just bronzes the skin and does nothing for the mood?

If it really is a case of 20% of Irish people being affected by it I'm surprised that they don't put more effort into researching treatments. Does anyone know if it's the lux level of the sunlight, the spectrum, the frequency (as in it doesn't suffer the same blinking you get with artificial lights due to the AC power driving them)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

farohar wrote: »
    Certainly in Dublin there are a few I've spotted around, where abouts are you and hopefully someone can point out your nearest and you can post up whether it works or just bronzes the skin and does nothing for the mood?

Tanning beds use UV light to tan you whereas SAD is caused by insufficient exposure to visible light afaik. You'd be tanned but still depressed, I'm afraid.

Tanning beds use UV light to tan you whereas SAD is caused by insufficient exposure to visible light afaik. You'd be tanned but still depressed, I'm afraid.

That's what I suspected, yet Sunnyguy says they work above. I would've thought that all SAD sufferers would be using blacklights not the bright lights if that worked. As such I'm left thinking that it's probably the intensity of the light.

Advertisement