Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scariest Movies of all time

• 15-11-2004 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was recently watching a program listing the top scary movies of all time. I disagreed with alot of these choices and was wondering what other people thought. I have added a poll to the thread so feel free to vote. If you vote for "Other", please specify what movie you think is scarier.

Thanks

What is the scariest movie of all time? 18 votes

Carrie
    0%
    The Exorcist
    11%
    Kêrmêttêsummer_ina_bowl 2 votes
    Silence of the Lambs
    33%
    joolsveerXcom2hshorttAgent Orangemwngershoefloozy 6 votes
    Amityville Horror
    5%
    bopper 1 vote
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    5%
    trotter_inc 1 vote
    Psycho (Hitchcock Version)
    22%
    Cactus ColBuck OwensQCannette curtain 4 votes
    The Tommyknockers
    5%
    jonno 1 vote
    The Thing
    0%
    It
    0%
    Other (Please specify in thread)
    16%
    GoodshapeCrucifixMan eating cow 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Ringu-definitely Ringu that or Ju-On. Hollywood horror rarely scares me unless its the remakes of either of the films I mentioned and even then their not even close to being as scary as the originals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre ... definetly scariest movie ever ... just for the sense of total unease I felt while watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Long time dead good show, def one of d scariest i've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Unusual choice, but one of the scariest things (psychologically) I've ever seen is the 1946 movie, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"... The normal film shots are in black and white, but the shots of the painting are in the recently-invented technicolour! Yikes! I jumped every single time it showed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 QC

Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- still one of the scariest and disturbing films out there. I love the fact that it does the old cliche of one survivor at the end, but she's a traumatised wreck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

although the Blair Witch Project deserves a mention ... being the second scariest movie ever... (certainly better than Tommyknockers and It)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Silence of the Lambs
    An American Werewolf in London??

Exorcist just pips it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i thought the blair witch was bloody brilliant, and by far the best scarey film i have seen in years.
    although i am looking forward to seeing the grudge.

the last scene in blair witch was just excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    I thought the Texas Chainsaw masacre was a joke!

Amytiville(sp?) was much scarier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Event Horizon.
    I know it's not really - but I had serious alcohol induced horrors watching it after a week on the beer. The D/T's that night were horrendous. Haven't been that scared since watching the Omen as a child.

....oh, wait, "the wicker man". Scariest movie, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Blair witch was awful. Boring rather than scary if you ask me.
    Scariest film if you ask me was nightmare on elm street, saw it when i was young and it
    scared the daylights out of me. Probably a dull film if i watched it now but at the time it
    was terrifying.
    Also ringu definetely deserves a mention. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Other (Please specify in thread)
    Voted 'It' because it scared me when I was about eight years old. Only other movie to seriously scare me was 'The Omen' when I was about the same age. (although niether of them would be the best horrors I've ever seen).

I'm tellin' ya, let your kids watch horror movies... they're just not the same once you're all grown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

The Exorcist
    I'm not a fan of scary movies. I always end up with my hands over my eyes or peeking from behind a cushion. I have to admit though that I always enjoy watching The Omen... it's not much of a scary movie though... but I find it facinating as well as Carrie, Psycho and The Exorcist.
    Poltergeist 1, 2 and 3 have to get honourable mentions too! :D
    The Blair Witch scared the bejaysus outta me though! I was amazed that I actually sat through the whole of that without running out of the house! :eek:
    I'd say Carrie is my favourite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Zulu wrote:
    Event Horizon.
    I know it's not really - but I had serious alcohol induced horrors watching it after a week on the beer. The D/T's that night were horrendous. Haven't been that scared since watching the Omen as a child.

....oh, wait, "the wicker man". Scariest movie, ever.
    Have to agree with Event Horizon - all shock horror, but scary nonetheless when i saw it first.

Probably have to pip it with Jaws though. That scared the ****e out of me when i saw it as a kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

THe Ring (japanese) or The grudge (eek so scary)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I'm torn between The Omen, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, The Wicker Man and Ring. I would have to go for The Omen personally. I can't say any of them scared me (I don't get scared by Horror films *toots own horn* although it is my favourite genre) but The Omen had the most impact on me.

Naturally it was one of my first Horror films.

I bought The Amityville Horror in HMV for like €9.00 or something, having read good things about it on these forums. I thought it was really good but not at all scary. I wasn't even nervous that something scary was going to happen. Still a great film though.

And by the way, Carrie was crap. I was never so disappointed with a film I had heard was such a classic. It was only worth watching for the vicious changing room scene and to have actually seen such an iconic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The classic Don't Look Now scared the bollocks off me, and though it probably suffered from it's own hype, The Eye gave me quite the shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

enda_4 wrote:
    Long time dead good show, def one of d scariest i've ever seen
    You're not serious, are you?

I hope it's not the same one i'm thinking of... that shi*ty English one with the guy from Eastenders and the Djinn.. with the Ouija Board.

That was utter muck!

I don't really scare easily. But i'd probably vote for 'A Nightmare On Elm Street'... on the basis that it was creepy as a child and also because Freddy Krueger is the ultimate horror creation. Pure genius by Wes Craven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Loretta.

Goodshape wrote:
    Voted 'It' because it scared me when I was about eight years old. Only other movie to seriously scare me was 'The Omen' when I was about the same age. (although niether of them would be the best horrors I've ever seen).

I'm tellin' ya, let your kids watch horror movies... they're just not the same once you're all grown up.

i saw "IT" when i was about 8 as well and i remember it being a special showing on sky one. but my god i have never been so freaked by a movie as i was then.....i still cant swim over drains in pools now..although that could be cuz of all those "holidays from hell" programmes

as well i think its cuz of the whole creepy clown thing.

anyway im glad i saw it cuz it got me into the whole horror genre so yeah i definately encourage kids 2 see horror movies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    I'm torn between The Omen, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, The Wicker Man and Ring. I would have to go for The Omen personally. I can't say any of them scared me (I don't get scared by Horror films *toots own horn* although it is my favourite genre) but The Omen had the most impact on me.

Will have to second this - these were great films too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement