Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of the Dead remake

Options
  • 01-11-2004 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

watched this last week and thought it was really enjoyable.
    well, as anjoyable as zombie flicks go.

was also interesting that they made the zombies a bit more '21 days later' than the original romero slow and, er, zombie like :)

also watched Shaun of the Dead, which just cracked me up.
    havent seen anything funnier in ages, with the exception of possibly the day after tomorrow. but i dont think that was supposed to be funny.

was it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Indeed, Shaun is quite an excellent film altogether.

Have you seen Spaced, Eamo?

Apparently Romero is making another "Dead" film: "Land of the Dead" shooting now for release this time 2005....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

shaun of the dead is a classic... i remember seeing it in the cinema and just couldn't believe how much it cracked me up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Apparently Romero is making another "Dead" film: "Land of the Dead" shooting now for release this time 2005....

And Simon Pegg is going to cameo in it... possibly just as a zombie though.

I got the Dawn of the Dead Directors Cut on DVD last week... there are a good few new scenes that are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

watched this last week and thought it was really enjoyable.
    well, as anjoyable as zombie flicks go.

was also interesting that they made the zombies a bit more '21 days later' than the original romero slow and, er, zombie like :)

also watched Shaun of the Dead, which just cracked me up.
    havent seen anything funnier in ages, with the exception of possibly the day after tomorrow. but i dont think that was supposed to be funny.

was it?

28 days later innit or am I missing out on something ?

love the remake. Im a big fan of the original and zombie films in general too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I really enjoyed '28 Days Later'

So I went out and rented the first film '28 Days'

It was rubbish.. it had barely any zombies in it at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I went into the remake prepared for disappointment, but the moment with the sharpened stick, I knew it was going to be good. I was very impressed, that's how a zombie film should be made.

My only reservations were the running (it was interesting in 28 Days Later... but, whilst I'll admit it makes them scarier, zombies shouldn't get past a rapid shuffle) and that they really didn't highten the anti-consumerism which was so prominent in the original.

Noticed they never actually say the word zombie in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Yeah, pretty class remake all in all. Shaun was fantastic; never laughed so much in a cinema. I loved the original dawn and wasnt disapointed with this. Know what you mean about them running tho; it does however make them more dangerous.

Got The Directors cut for my birthday (from two seperate mates ;) ) the other day; looking forward to giving that a bash.

oh yes... Brains... brains!

I wonder why the hell people always associate zombies that run or are in any way speedy with 28 Days Later? They've been doing that since the 80's with films like Nightmare City, Demons and The Return Of The Living Dead.

Honestly... you're all a bunch of zombie newbs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

iirc they didnt run in return of the living dead? Walked fast maybe, but nothing like in dotd 2004. I love that film.

The opening is one of the best I've ever seen in a horror film and I'd love if they made a sequal to it.

by the by, return of the living dead 3 is on right now on network 2. Reminds me so much of day of the dead.

• Advertisement

Have you actually seen the first film recently? They ran as fast as anything in 28 Days Later or the new DOTD. The very first zombie in the film ran like a lunatic out of the meat locker, and was still running around when they cut off his head.

ROTLD3 had a different director, and the zombies in that were more often the slow plodding kind, but in the original they were quite hasty indeed.

Zombie newbs... honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

They've been doing that since the 80's with films like ... Demons
    Well, since we're picking nits, I guess it's worth pointing out that they aren't zombies in Demons. They're.. well.. I'll let you work it out (the clue is in the name :D).

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Well, since we're picking nits, I guess it's worth pointing out that they aren't zombies in Demons. They're.. well.. I'll let you work it out (the clue is in the name :D).

Well neither are 28 Days Later's "Infected" for that matter, but it's still considered a zombie movie.

But looking at things more from a plot standpoint, Demons is very much a zombie movie in the sense of the old plot devices of people holed up fighting off a swarm of baddies. The same way that many people have likened Assault On Precinct 13 to a zombie movie.

The 'Demons' were zombies in all but name really... Big swarms, infectious bites and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

They're not zombies in 28 Days Later anyway.

Have you actually seen the first film recently? They ran as fast as anything in 28 Days Later or the new DOTD. The very first zombie in the film ran like a lunatic out of the meat locker, and was still running around when they cut off his head.

He didn't run. When the guy first comes out of the little container, the guys have plenty of time to get away. He does a fast walk towards them at best but it's kind of a comedic walk and he bobs up and down alot. Then a step breaks and the guy falls through the stairs and then STILL has time to escape. And this is a small basement we're talking about.

you're a zombie NEWB haha. unlucky.

adjodlo wrote:
    He didn't run. When the guy first comes out of the little container, the guys have plenty of time to get away. He does a fast walk towards them at best but it's kind of a comedic walk and he bobs up and down alot. Then a step breaks and the guy falls through the stairs and then STILL has time to escape. And this is a small basement we're talking about.

you're a zombie NEWB haha. unlucky.

I never said the guy from the container, I said the one in the meat locker up on the main floor. Remember? At least try to have a grasp on what scene I'm talking about in the first place before calling me a newb. They let him out so they can kill him, and he dashes out very fast indeed and knocks them over, then they eventually have him on the floor, where they stick a pick axe through his head, pinning him to the ground. It doesn't kill him, so they try to cut his head off, and the body then starts running around again.

And of course I'm not just talking about the one incident in the film, but remember if you can the scene where they call for the paramedics and the zombies suddenly dash out and nab 'em. Or the part where they all storm the police baricades? They run like mother****ers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

erm, 28 days later is of course what i meant!!!!

21 days alter? no idea where that popped out of :)

as for 28 days, well, i watched it and you know, after about 35 minutes of sandra bullock, i was kinda starry eyed and drooling and brain dead.
    dont know if that counts.

and no, i havent seen spaced, but if you recommend it, then i will indeed.

by theway , virgin are currently doing a sale on a whole bunch of movies like holocaust cannibals or something like that. they all look like really crappy stuff, but just wondering if anyone had an opnions...?

I never said the guy from the container, I said the one in the meat locker up on the main floor. Remember? At least try to have a grasp on what scene I'm talking about in the first place before calling me a newb. They let him out so they can kill him, and he dashes out very fast indeed and knocks them over, then they eventually have him on the floor, where they stick a pick axe through his head, pinning him to the ground. It doesn't kill him, so they try to cut his head off, and the body then starts running around again.

And of course I'm not just talking about the one incident in the film, but remember if you can the scene where they call for the paramedics and the zombies suddenly dash out and nab 'em. Or the part where they all storm the police baricades? They run like mother****ers!

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

as for 28 days, well, i watched it and you know, after about 35 minutes of sandra bullock, i was kinda starry eyed and drooling and brain dead.

by theway , virgin are currently doing a sale on a whole bunch of movies like holocaust cannibals or something like that. they all look like really crappy stuff, but just wondering if anyone had an opnions...?

Cannibal Hollocaust ? Well tis very gory ! I dont remember if its any good though.

In all honesty, a lot of zombie films like that can be absolute terrible altogether, which is kinda half the charm of it, but if your idea of a good film is lots of gore, nudity and no plot, then by all means knock yourself out. Personally I can't pass up a film like that reguardless of how bad it is. I sat through half of Redneck Zombies, which is a lot more than most sane people can claim.

Spaced on the other hand is quite excellent, but I'd have to say it's not as good as Shaun Of The Dead, so don't be overly excited about it. Still, there's a great sequence with zombies that echoes the inevitable coming of Shaun.

As for Sandra Bullock, generally anything she's in is bound to be turgid **** of the lowest, most arcane circle of poo film-making. It's like 30 executives all took a dump in the center of a big pentegram, sacrificed a writer, then chanted incantations untill the next Sandra Bullock film arose. Honestly, that's how they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

the origanal is by far the best

canabal holocaust mate yeah a true cult classic

but i think i just wet my pants
    those japs just released this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

That's the remake.
    And it's the exact same as the director's cut you can get here, apart from a DTS soundtrack.

What you're really looking for is the
    4-disc Ultimate Edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

that jap release is already out of print
    i ordered the 4 dvd edition last week

cant wait to see it

get in contact with me if you trade or what ever im trying to get a horror or sci fi club going after xmas

watch movies on my projector in a city centre location i got planed upstairs in a pub .

do you guys think there would be interest
    mabye we could kick it off with the dawn of the dead ultimate edition????
    do you have that ultimate edition mate?
    i got mine for 50 euro inc post ..

Advertisement