Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable fire pits

Options
  • 27-03-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question. I'd like to use some type of fire pit. Just for warmth, not for cooking. Something we can clean up and take away with us rather than building a fire on the ground.

I have in mind something the size of a small circular garden barbecue on short legs with an ash pan underneath. I think I might have seen something similar before but can't find it now. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Try woodies they used to do something along the lines of this a while back. If not the small barbeque without the grill and a bit of diy holes for ash filtering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Whispered wrote: »
    Quick question. I'd like to use some type of fire pit. Just for warmth, not for cooking. Something we can clean up and take away with us rather than building a fire on the ground.

I have in mind something the size of a small circular garden barbecue on short legs with an ash pan underneath. I think I might have seen something similar before but can't find it now. Any ideas?

I'd guess that you are thinking of something like this:
    It's described as portable, but I'd say that you'd have trouble fitting that in a rucksack.

51ct3efLV5L._SX450_.jpg

This is portable BBQ, but you could use it as a portable fire pit.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-BBQ008710-Foldable-Barbeque-Silver/dp/B006OU30I4/ref=pd_cp_sg_1

Similar
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-BB002-Pac-Flat-BBQ-Silver/dp/B00AOLGPEU/ref=pd_cp_lp_0

This portable flat-pack fire pit weighs 1kg. Costs £62 plus p&p, which is a bit saucy.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boutique-Camping-Flat-Packed-Portable/dp/B00IEC3SHI/ref=sr_1_13?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1396030439&sr=1-13&keywords=fire+pit

31OTsCYTyyL.jpg

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

How portable are we talking here? Anything that's not going to burn away is going to be heavy enough that it's only really suitable fro car camping.

If that kind of weight is okay, then an old wheel hub or truck brake drum does the job nicely. If you're handy with a welder you can even weld legs onto it if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 duncli1628

Like to suggest a cut away( top 1/3) large oil can. Basically a larger version of a hobo stove(Youtube). On bin day outside of some restaurants, they would throw out veg frying oil cans(about 14"highx12"diameter). I drill holes on sides & bottom for air circulation & presto!....cheap fire pit. To pack for camping, I cut round the bottom, leaving small bit attached to side for convenience. Then bend bottom piece INWARDS & then squash it flat(beware sharp edges). At campsite, using a multitool, push it back into shape & attach wire at certain points round bottom to hold in place. As to an ash pan, I wouldn't need one. I'll carefully cut out a section of turf under the fire pit, & replace when I leave. Use either thick branches or large rocks to prop up fire pit for ventilation. Also possible to BBQ/cook over this "contraption". Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to make changes to suit your needs. Happy camping!

In case anyone is still interested, Lidl has a portable, foldable BBQ on sale this coming Thurs. 24/04/14. A good size too. Saves on all the work of making one(as I'd posted above!). Could be good as fire pit. I'll be sure to get one for myself.

• Advertisement

In case anyone is still interested, Lidl has a portable, foldable BBQ on sale this coming Thurs. 24/04/14 for €16.99. A good size too. Saves on all the work of making one(as I'd posted above!). Could be good as fire pit. I'll be sure to get one for myself.

Got the BBQ today & even tried it out. Portability is good(but not for hiking with it on ur back), ease of assembly is great but found that air flow to coals not great. Will have to drill holes to bottom of coal tray & sides of lower portion of BBQ to remedy this.

mike_ie wrote: »
    If that kind of weight is okay, then an old wheel hub or truck brake drum does the job nicely. If you're handy with a welder you can even weld legs onto it if you wish.
    duncli1628 wrote: »
    Like to suggest a cut away( top 1/3) large oil can.

If it does not have to be extremely portable or fit in a rucksack, a gas cylinder can make a good brazier or fire basket. I suppose that it would probably be more suitable for car camping, as it is going to be reasonably bulky.

It wouldn't have to be anything as elaborate as the homemade stoves in the pictures. You could drill vent holes in the bottom, cut a large hole in the side, another hole on top, and leave it at that.

Link

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_-mezIPl8J82PQoE2ummdSPQscffpRy1CdoldFhA7W8OtcnfJcg

Link

5-IMG_02811-300x225.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wood-stove-made-from-scrap/step1/Gas-cylinder-from-the-sea/
    http://jackofalltrades1980.tripod.com/theimprovisationcenter/id33.html
    http://makingyourown.ludlowsurvivors.com/

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It wouldn't have to be anything as elaborate as the homemade stoves in the pictures. You could drill vent holes in the bottom, cut a large hole in the side, another hole on top, and leave it at that.

...just make damn sure it's empty first :D

All kidding aside, butane and propane is heavier than air, so even if you have an empty cylinder, that doesn't mean there isn't gas still sitting in the bottom of the bottle. We used to make these stoves out of 7kg gas bottles in Australia, and I've seen more than a few singed eyebrows from guys taking an angle grinder to a bottle they thought was empty.

If you decide to use a gas bottle, safest way to do it is depress the top valve to make sure it's empty, then unscrew the valve completely and fill the bottle with water until it overflows. This will displace any residual gas and make the bottle safe to work on.

201431_odvd01a_14_PE389826.jpg

This fire basket is in IKEA for €30.

IKEA stuff comes flat packed, so I wonder if you could replace the nuts with wingnuts and make this into a collapsible fire basket. Still weighs more than 7kg, which is a lot to carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Quick question. I sent an email to the national park people about campfires. They are not permitted to protect the ground etc but the lady who replied said that "camping stoves" are.

Would this count as a camping stove
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_914937_langId_-1_categoryId_212483

At a fair stretch of the imagination maybe - you could have a bonfire in that thing :D My interpretation would be that a camping stove is something pretty self contained - burner and its own fuel supply that is easily turned off again after cooking. As a rule of thumb, if you'd feel safe lighting it in the vestibule of your tent, it's a camping stove. If you wouldn't, then probably not...

Just my $0.02 though....

Ah that's a really good rule of thumb. Thanks.

I'm hoping to find something that will stay within regulations, does no harm to the surrounding ground (or grass underneath) but still gives a bit of a "campfire feel" you know.

I don't think I'd get that with a small gas one.

I'm hoping to find something that will stay within regulations, does no harm to the surrounding ground (or grass underneath) but still gives a bit of a "campfire feel" you know.

I don't think I'd get that with a small gas one.

My 2c. I could be shot down in flames, but it's my opinion.

1. A campfire is a different animal to portable BBQ. It's a fire set on the ground. The main impact is the damage to the ground, and leaving hot embers.

I'm going to differ slightly from Mike here, but I think that folding BBQ is okay. It won't damage the ground, and if you tidy up properly, you'll leave no trace.

If a Wildlife Ranger comes along, it could be a different kettle of fish. He could ask you to extinguish it, I don't know. I'm not trying to give legal advice. I'm saying that I'd have no difficulty using one of those BBQs, myself. Worth noting that I've never met a ranger in my life.

2. Although I suggested portable BBQs earlier in the thread, I tried one out and I was wrong. As regards atmosphere, they give off very little light when the coals die down. I think that they have an inner tray to hold the coals, so I don't think that you just could pile on a load of firewood for a big blaze. They are okay for a BBQ, but not much else besides. Just my opinion.

The IKEA fire basket might work though. Would be worth somebody trying it. I've heard of people using candles, shielded from the wind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On a practical level, Lidl had a very similar BBQ in stock recently. It doesn't review well by people who own them.

Thanks guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I just see Aldi have a fire pit for sale thur 19th june.

In robust black powder-coated steel featuring folding legs.
    • Includes: Steel Poker and Grill
    • Comes with mesh grill cover
    • Dimensions:57 x 37 x 42cm
    Weight not give.

34.99 euro.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-19th-june/products-detail-page/ps/p/fire-pit/

Advertisement