Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Jernal wrote: »
    I'd be even more cynical neither Barca/Atletico like Real. So I'd say both might be inclined to let Barca/Atletico win the league over Real. But here's hoping both sides care first and foremost about winning that fixture.

+1. I doubt Atletico would appreciate winning the league thanks to a handed win by Barcelona. It would take away alot of the good work they did this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

miralize wrote: »
    +1. I doubt Atletico would appreciate winning the league thanks to a handed win by Barcelona. It would take away alot of the good work they did this season.

Haha. Bollocks they wouldn't. The history books would remember they won it over 38 games.

If that game were to end a draw to hand it to Real there would be a riot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can't see Madrid dropping enough points for it to come down to the final game, they have been blitzing Liga opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah I still think Real will win it. Barca's form has just been a bit too patchy for my liking. I think they're more likely to slip up then Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If Real are to win the league i'd like to see it won with a Messi hat-trick on the final day of the season.

• Advertisement

Valdes out for the season, and possibly forever although Barca are giving him a 1 year extension if he cant find a club. Devastating, but I trust Pinto, he played well during Valdes' first layoff.

Also there is comfort in the fact that if we tie one game, and win all others (excluding the game vs Atletico), we will be champions thanks to our h2h record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pinto is a decent replacement but he has the odd significant rush of blood. He's not capable of Dzeko's header type saves either.

Pinto is a decent replacement but he has the odd significant rush of blood. He's not capable of Dzeko's header type saves either.

Well thankfully we knocked out City :pac:

Well thankfully we knocked out City :pac:

You know what I meant. :p

No trust in Pinto, but whatever he does do, he'll do it more coolly than anyone else could..:pac:

• Advertisement

Just look at his dead eyes. Nothing is going past this cool motherf*cka

jose-manuel-pinto-e1341304162253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I was literally at that moment watching the game on a tv in an off license when Valdesade the save, I gasped and then screamed an expletive and proceeded to tell the staff of the astonishing piece of goalkeeping I'd just witnessed. He's my favourite ever goalkeeper, a fantastic role model, a fiercely underrated goalkeeper on the world stage, the glue that holds the defence together. I love Victor Valdes for everything that he has done for the club and I desperately hope that the last image of him as a Barcelona player on the Camp Nou surface isn't of him being carried off on a stretcher in tears, he deserves more than that, I hope the club know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Reports are saying that if the injury prevents him from getting a move, then Barça will offer him a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Reports are saying that if the injury prevents him from getting a move, then Barça will offer him a new contract.

I still doubt he'll play for Barca again, great gesture by the club though. They'll sign a new keeper this summer and Valdes will be 2nd or 3rd choice.

They've already signed Ter Stegen haven't they? Also need a replace for Pinto his hair may be young but his body is approaching 40.

They've already signed Ter Stegen haven't they? Also need a replace for Pinto his hair may be young but his body is approaching 40.

\Not offically but where else will he go. I'd like to give ter Stegen a year of bedding in with Valdes behind him!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I'd like to give ter Stegen a year of bedding in with Valdes behind him!

_39784915_tosh_suitsyousir203b.jpg

Pinto is a disaster area imo. He's a complete liability.

If Atleti don't win the league this year they never will. Real are throwing big time and losing Valdes is bad for Barca.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Pinto is a disaster area imo. He's a complete liability.

If Atleti don't win the league this year they never will. Real are throwing big time and losing Valdes is bad for Barca.
    In 2013/14, José Manuel Pinto has played a total of 5 league games, 8 cup games and 2 in the Champions League, letting in eleven goals, less than one a game.
    Hardly a disaster

Hairline fracture of the pelvis for Pique. Out for 4 weeks.

Bartra and Mascherano as the centres until then. Oh dear.

Here's hoping no more injuries or the very unlikely treble becomes a nothing.

• Advertisement

Ouch!

He's been in good form too. Bartra handedly himself more than competently. Masch, is the weak link imo. Masch and Alves. Busquets was immense tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MagicIRL wrote: »

Will the manager be kept in place now seen as a new man can't buy players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Will the manager be kept in place now seen as a new man can't buy players?
    And what about Valdes? Surely they'll have to keep him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pighead wrote: »
    And what about Valdes? Surely they'll have to keep him now.

I was thinking about Ter Stagin (sp) appearantly hes signed and all. Didn't guillem balague say on sky yesterday valdes has signed for Monaco ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I was thinking about Ter Stagin (sp) appearantly hes signed and all. Didn't guillem balague say on sky yesterday valdes has signed for Monaco ?
    Ah right didn't realise the Stegen deal was done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Will be reduced on appeal to a fine I would imagine.

Nothing to see here.

What the fúck? Remnants of Rossells regime? Or just general club muppetry?

gimmick wrote: »
    Bartra and Mascherano as the centres until then. Oh dear.

I have faith in Mascherano. Obviously if the ball is right and the striker is Benzema (like in the Clasico) who has a run-up, he's hopeless, but equally he was the best defender against City, intercepting the ball.

• Advertisement

I also like Mascherano. He does a decent job. But he is not the main man needed for Barcas defense which he would have to be next to the young and inexperienced Bartra. It could be worse absolutely, but the solution is far from ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I think Costa is a huge loss for Madrid .

Much bigger than Pique is for Barca ( no doubting Pique is a top class CB mind you )

They will have no out ball next week . It will be constant Barca pressure .

Barca are in the driving seat IMO

Ive not looked in the match thread as I tend to avoid them, especially Clasico ones so am interested to hear what people have to say about Neymar.

I have been critical recently and will continue to be so. Why is he starting? He is contributing nothing. The odd decent shot, usually followed by a histrionic dive within a few moments.

It sickens me that the club tarnished their name to get this joker in at the expense of strengthening the centre of defense. Barca have no shortage of attacking players, but broke the bank for a player who is completely not needed. I suspect the main reason to sign him was to deprive Madrid of the pleasure.

The consequences of his signature are now being seen. 1 fit centre half with small experience and an enthusiastic centre midfielder playing there. Both are doing a job, and I think Bartra can go on to be a top level centre half, but he needs to be playing alongside Pique or another strong experienced centre half. Why Rossell did not address this I do not understand.

I also wonder is the clock ticking on Tata? I certainly would not be pushing him toward the door, but I am not sure he is he that interested in staying arund.

You should take a look at the match thread, there's some decent opinions in it actually.

And yeah Neymar has been dreadful lately but I think he's being a bit of a scapegoat, Messi/Sanchez/Pedro/Fabregas haven't been any better really.

They should have left Tata alone, as his change in style was working well. Barca were far more solid defensively and still scored plenty of goals. Now they aren't either.

I think it's hard to judge anyone in that side at the minute. If you send down an alien to that squad and tell them that there are the best players of the era in it, they'd laugh before zooming back again.

I watched about 30 seconds of the match, as Di Maria ran through against Pinto and as Bale picked up the ball in the 84th minute...first goal was very soft from Pinto, even by his standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's amazing that Barca haven't invested in a decent 2nd choice keeper on the cheap over the last several years. It's astonishing incompetence that you've had to rely on Pinto at such a critical point in the season.

Is the youth keeper that far off from being ready? Surely worth a punt ahead of Pinto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

It was Copa Del Rey, Pinto usually starts for us any way in the cup, regardless of Valdez's injury.

I have to say Neymar may not have been the signing the squad really needed but I feel he showed more heart and desire over the last 2-3 weeks than some of our more established names at the club.

If the transfer ban gets lifted we need to have our most active window in recent years. The problem is who do we sign? who is ideal for our needs? and who needs to go?

For me Tello and Affelay should be the first names on that list. Aside from the hatrick (via messi assists) Tello has had a very poor season. He has not improved what so ever. Obviously the arrival of Neymar has really limited his chances but allot of the time when he comes on he just hugs the line and contributes nothing. At times he was a black whole for chances/attacking play.

I know I may be dreaming or daft when I say this but Hummels would be perfect. A top class defender who can play the ball out from the back while still providing much needed Ariel ability.

Edit: Or the cheaper option Inigo Martinez

Excuse the double post. Not sure if you have heard but Sanchez apparently had a go at Tata for not starting him in recent weeks. He even refused to collect his runner up medal after Puyol insisted. :eek::eek::eek:

Even though he won me over this season, he could be sold to generate funds along with Tello and Affelay. It would allow Pedro get more games. He deserves it, and the reaction when Pedro came on against Madrid would suggest he is firmly a fan favorite! Plus we are going to see more of Dongou next season I think.

Can't say I blame Alexis, dickish thing to do all the same, but I do feel for him. He's been more effective than Neymar and provides far far Better defensive cover. If Pedro/Alexis was on that wing providing the cover that Bale goal wouldn't have happened. Instead you had Messi half arsed trying to cover leaving Barca completely exposed when Bale could burn him for pace. If you watch any time Pedro/Alexis play and they're on a wing when an attack is initiated they always track the runner and they've got the pace to keep with them or give away the necessary yellow card. Credit to both of them they never stop tracking back.

The the transfer embargo is lifted pending appeal.

Where do Barca go now?

Presumably Ter Stgen and Alunovic are now free to sign as previously agreed. What else is needed though?

Obviously a centre half if not 2. But who? I do not want David Luiz. Not solid enough. Thiago Silva aint leaving Paris. Might another bid for Agger be made? Is he too injury prone though?

I dont think any other positions need too much strengthening so would be delighted with a few centre halves who are happy to rotate a bit. But honestly cannot think of anyone.

Vertonghen plz. Perhaps another bid for Inigo Martinez?

I'm hoping Cesc & Xavi can share the position next season instead of shoehorning him into a position that doesnt work.

• Advertisement

Vertonghen plz. Perhaps another bid for Inigo Martinez?

I'm hoping Cesc & Xavi can share the position next season instead of shoehorning him into a position that doesnt work.

Vertongehn is a bit of a head case as well though isn't he?

Agreed re Fabregas.

Tito hospitalised tonight due to a complication with his cancer battle.

Hope he gets through it again.

gimmick wrote: »
    Tito hospitalised tonight due to a complication with his cancer battle.

Hope he gets through it again.

reports coming out he is 'gravely ill' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FCBarcelona: The FC Barcelona is in immense mourning. Tito Vilanova has died at the age of 45. May he rest in peace

RIP Tito

Terrible news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just heard that news on SSN

RIP Tito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Terrible news to hear... R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Jesus, terrible news

RIP

Horrible ordeal he went through. He gave his job his all, even while sick. The man is a legend. RIP Tito.

Thanks for your service to football and to Barca Tito. A true hero.

R.I.P Tito

• Advertisement
Advertisement